Forums » Elder Scrolls

Your Build Inspiration Source(s)?

• 51 posts
    June 2, 2016 12:22 AM EDT

Where do you tend to find inspiration for you builds? Do you search for sources of inspiration or does inspiration just strike with an idea that'd perfect for a build? Or is it both?

I only have one build out there but many more in the works and for me, I find that simply looking at fantasy character art on Google images strikes a chord in me and I'm inspired to make builds around the badass looking characters I see. Or sometimes I find the name of a build first that just sounds so cool I know I'd regret not using it. 

So what inspires you as a character builder?

• 404 posts
    June 2, 2016 12:32 AM EDT

Fantasy character art work can do that to a man.

• 485 posts
    June 2, 2016 12:51 AM EDT
    I keep a muse imprisoned in my dungeon. She is a never ending source of brilliant build ideas.
    • 627 posts
    June 2, 2016 2:06 AM EDT

Is that the same muse you use to get inspiration for your drawings? Or do you have a second one locked down there specifically for that?

• 649 posts
    June 2, 2016 2:20 AM EDT
    Muse? That's how you humans call your females? Amusing. And you are locking them in your basements? That amuses me too.
    • 1441 posts
    June 2, 2016 3:02 AM EDT
    Mostly from other media, or lore
    • 268 posts
    June 2, 2016 3:08 AM EDT
    Wordplay on point here Karver.
    • 1595 posts
    June 2, 2016 1:28 PM EDT

Art is often an inspiration and acts like a catalyst, but just as frequently it is a sentence in a book or a concept described which gets to me. I am lucky in that I have more than one muse, too. No dungeon though. Must get on that.

• 12 posts
    June 2, 2016 3:46 PM EDT
    I had a build called dovah kulass (dragon princess) based on danaerys targaryen from game of thrones. Breton, perked mage and one handed and crafting. Reached level 79 before it bugged out on me. Still my favorite build and amazing with mods.
    • 179 posts
    June 2, 2016 7:25 PM EDT

Usually it's either a piece of lore or a concept for a gameplay mechanic that inspires me.

• 224 posts
    June 5, 2016 6:58 PM EDT

I'm not pro about or too fan of build, I usually play to write about, but I need to create characters form my story and those needs to have certain skills and ways of be, for example The main character is like a Death Knight from Warcraft universe, also Lothar a Nord Paladin who will make the life harder Baal the Necromancer DeathKnight

But about inspiration I usually see pictures, read books and read about elder scrolls lore, movies, series, talk with others about Elder Scrolls, even I get inspiration from music , oh yes

• 11 posts
    June 7, 2016 4:35 PM EDT

Anywhere really. I just posted 2 snapshots that were inspired by the Marvel comics universe and the similarities I saw to what was in Skyrim. I actually can't think of too many more from that angle though. If there were 1-handed hammers then the winged steelplate helmet would obviously lead to a Thor inspired build, and I could see Shrouded armor and Blades swords with the right face makeup making a Deadpool build ( I wouldn't be a bit surprised if that existed already ) 

Also just little tweaks in costume choice, and play style to any of the great builds already here. I've found two "Reaper/Death" builds I like, but I have an idea for a 3rd I think would be really fun. I probably won't snapshot it just because the aesthetics are already done and I would want to test the playstyle to see if it works as well as I might like. 

• 51 posts
    June 7, 2016 11:58 PM EDT

If you play on PC, you might wanna check out Privateeye's mod Heavy Armory in the steam workshop. It adds 1 handed hammers as well as some other new weapon types. 

• 11 posts
    June 8, 2016 12:21 AM EDT

I will check that out. Thank you. 

• 122 posts
    June 8, 2016 4:14 AM EDT
    Typically for me, it's lore, gameplay, and then my horribly overactive imagination breaks out of its cage and starts writing on the walls of my brain until I finally cave and begin to write. I don't have a single build to my name, but I certainly have a whole lot of biographies. They're just all so long that I always hit the character limit and thus impossible to post. >_>