Forums » Fallout

Far Harbor: Dialogue that raises questions... Spoilers

• 1913 posts
    May 19, 2016 7:25 PM EDT
    In Far Harbor, a character named DiMA asks if you are a synth. The player can deny it, but he then counters with an excellent point... What is the first thing we remember? The the day the bombs fell... Before that? Just faint hints of a past... Law degree for female protagonist, and a speech at Fanuil Hall... Beyond that? Nothing... Family like parents or siblings? Nope... How your spouse and you met? Nada... How you felt when Shaun was born? Nothing... Like DiMA says, events important to an individual are easy to code... The emotional moments though, those are tricky.

He follows up saying there are other possibilities as to why you don't remember, trauma, stress, background radiation muddling the mind... The only way to test it would be an autopsy to find the component.

Now this brings up an interesting prospect... Is it possible the main character is a synth? Let's review key things...

1. Sole is the only survivor of the Vault 111 cryofreezing experiment. Now, when Kellogg takes Shaun, our player can pound the glass in anger... Despite no one else being able to move... And we are conscious during this when no one else is... Why? The only reason behind both of these are the others died before then, or they only deactivated those two pods. But neither of these can be true as the first option has no reasoning... Why would they be dead when you two were fine? World's biggest coincidence. And it can't be the second as we see when the cryopod activated we were frozen... 1. We have no frost on our skin upon waking. 2. We can move without the pod confirming through audio cues that they are leaving. 3. The character goes through the freezing process again... Despite the first one not stopping... Backstory inconsistency.

2. Codsworth recognizing the player character, surely cause he recognizes the player, the character had to be human... We'll, not really... As proven in game and lore, Mr. Handy's can be reprogrammed to accept a new master and personality... Believing to be a butler? Perfectly acceptable personality subroutine.

3. The Institute has a history of testing Synths on a myriad of all sorts of things... Testing one on its determination to find its home, and it's "son"? Sounds just like the sort of thing they'd do.

4. You can become leader of the Institute as a Synth? That wouldn't make sense... Would it? The Institute already believes humanity as a whole is lost, so synths going to repopulate the world and fix everything would make sense. And as Shoddycast pointed out, eventually synths would rebel and take over...

What do you y'all think? What do you think your characters reaction would be to finding out they are synths? Discuss below.
    • 627 posts
    May 19, 2016 8:13 PM EDT

I can definitely say that it's possible, and that I've thought on the matter quite a bit; or at least how it would be possible. Since I first met him I've been going over that conversation in the back of my mind, and I can see it giving some backing to that theory. Along with a bunch of things that I can use to expand my Guide 

• 248 posts
    May 19, 2016 9:11 PM EDT

This is pretty crazy. I've been working on a build based on the Sole Survivor likely being a Synth, based on Golden Fool's excellent post (see his link above).

And sure enough, now we have more questions in the DLC alluding to this very possibility.  I think it's still unlikely that the SS is indeed a synth. Although, you can imagine, knowing the Father let the SS out of the Cryopod, that they may have gone one step further, testing their latest creation with some new "memories," for the ultimate experiment. 

Regardless, I find the possibility fascinating and am glad they've added more content to muddy/expand the water. 

I also find roleplaying the SS as possibly / probably a synth one of the more intense ways to play the game. It makes you reconsider almost every decision and interaction in the wasteland. 

My supposition for your 4. is that Father's last decision as director is to prove to the scientists, synths are ready for more. (though, based on how many are rebelling...he's probably wrong.)

• 627 posts
    May 19, 2016 9:16 PM EDT

Them rebelling can be seen as proof that they are ready for more, as the programming has gotten to the point where it can replicate free will and that the Synths can want for more then being simply tools of the Institute.

• 248 posts
    May 19, 2016 9:21 PM EDT

damn that's a great way to look at it.

• 627 posts
    May 19, 2016 9:25 PM EDT

I've spent too much time thinking about Synths and the Sole Survivor being a Synth 

• 1913 posts
    May 19, 2016 9:27 PM EDT
    No such thing as "too much time" when talking about headcanon, only too little time :P
    • 1913 posts
    May 19, 2016 9:28 PM EDT
    Interesting tidbit... Nick approves if you think you are a synth.
    • 627 posts
    May 19, 2016 9:30 PM EDT

Oh I've been meaning to ask, Is it just me or does his voice sound different when you first get the Far Harbor quest from Ellie?

• 1913 posts
    May 19, 2016 9:32 PM EDT
    His newer lines sound softer for some reason... New equipment for recording? Or it could be like how Freddy Prinze Jr. Describes dlc recording from his experience as Iron Bull and James Vega "Do whatever you want and whatever sounds presentable."
    • 627 posts
    May 19, 2016 9:38 PM EDT

He sounded way more gravelly/gruff to me when I was playing yesterday, almost like a different person was doing his lines. 

• 1441 posts
    May 20, 2016 12:36 PM EDT

Hmm, interesting. I always noticed some of the other Dwellers in the pods barely moving, like maybe shifting a bit. As for that, some of my characters have been synths with the Sole Survivor, who died in the pods, or out in the Commonwealth, implanted in a Synth by Father's order, like as some act of love, to try and reconnect with his father