Forums » Elder Scrolls

The Moot!

• 54 posts
    May 1, 2016 7:16 AM EDT

I was always disappointed when Skyrim didn't include a moot. Sure, if you complete the Stormcloak questline Ulfric Stormcloak is likely to gain the crown but still...

I also wondered who was the best Jarl and which one I would, if I was one of the Jarls, vote for.

So I decided to take things into my own hands.

I present to you, the fourth Moot of Skyrim!

The Moot

Throne by Chrisgoddard85.

The Jarls:

Skald,                                         

Brina Merilis,                            

Siddgeir,                                    

Dengeir of Stuhn,                    

Igmund,                                     

Thongvor Silverblood,           

Igrod Ravencrone,                  

Sorli the Builder,                    

Laila- Lawgiver,                      

Maven Blackbriar,                  

Elisif the Fair,                          

Balgruuf the Greater,            

Vignar Greymane,                 

Ulfric Stormcloak,                 

Brunwulf Free-Winter,        

Korir,                                       

Kraldar.                                   

And now we have our jarls, vote for the one you would like to become High King or High Queen. Reasons would be nice but not necessary. 

Author's note

Thank you to UESP wiki and the artist ChrisGoddard85.

I know these jarls aren't jarls at the same time and this moot is not how it would be ingame but I have to give you every option.

Please tell me if I did something wrong.

Also, if Maven Blackbriar wins...

I'm leaving Skyrim.

• 773 posts
    May 1, 2016 7:25 AM EDT

You know what, I think I might make this into the weekly poll 

• 20 posts
    May 1, 2016 9:17 AM EDT

Damn the Moot!

• 20 posts
    May 1, 2016 9:25 AM EDT

There's a lot of bad options here - I never realized just how little I liked the jarls of Skyrim until I saw all the options listed!

My shortlist candidates are the following:

Idgrod Ravenscrone, Jarl of Morthal - She's a canny old lady with apparently no political ambitions.  She's apparently open-minded (Falion) yet doesn't force her ideas on her people or flaunt her views, preferring for her positions to be proven right "in time", on their own.  

Balgruuf the Greater, Jarl of Whiterun - A stand-up guy with some political acumen.  Biggest flaw is his indecisiveness regarding the Civil War question.  A good mid-level manager, but maybe not a good candidate for king - but at least he's not a jerk.  

Brunwulf Free-Winter - An older man with some perspective & experience.  Both a warrior and a thinker.  

Honestly, though, I don't know about any of these people.  I'm aware that I've chosen the 3 jarl figures who are friendliest to the player, so that's certainly playing a role in my decision making.  Still, I wouldn't say that any of them is a slam dunk.  If pressed, I'd probably pick Balgruuf, and hope he rose to the occasion.  

• 59 posts
    May 1, 2016 11:43 AM EDT

id pick idgrod or brunwolf cuz their smart and openminded

• 54 posts
    May 1, 2016 12:07 PM EDT
    For me, probably Brunwulf Free Winter. He's a generally nice person and would excel in peacetime. He probaby would do not fare too well in the second Great War but he is a veteran... I know she is not a jarl who can be elected but Mjoll the Lionheart would probably be the best person in Skyrim for the role, just for her goals (and gameplay wise, her immortality.)
    • 585 posts
    May 1, 2016 12:30 PM EDT

Anyone else think Maven wouldn't be that bad? She'll probably have a secret police and an evil agenda, but her business mindset and ambition could either build Skyrim into a vast, wealthy land (with possible expansion into other lands, but due to war usually being bad for business it's unlikely), or make it crumble due to her selfish wishes.

• 54 posts
    May 1, 2016 12:43 PM EDT
    Yes, but still...skyrim would prosper but the common man? The lowly peasant? Lots of taxes and such would almost be inevitable from her. But this is just my opinion and I agree she would not be such a bad queen. Though she would set my teeth on edge. She also probably would be so smug and unbearable.
    • 773 posts
    May 1, 2016 1:39 PM EDT

You don't need to mess about manually adding 'votes' Crabby - I made this into a proper site wide poll 

• 585 posts
    May 1, 2016 2:36 PM EDT

Apologies, but I wasn't voting for Maven, I was just thinking out loud. And I have to agree with you, she would be naff for everyone but her and her mates.

• 1595 posts
    May 1, 2016 2:37 PM EDT

Elisif gets my vote. She is already in a strong position to secure unity, has both good relations with the empire and the opposing faction. No matter which side wins the civil war, Elisif is the best person to mend and heal. I think she is more than a puppet and can actually make a big difference once she overcomes her grief.

• 96 posts
    May 1, 2016 2:52 PM EDT
    A 'whole week' voting, with candidats that half the people here never heard of xD.
    • 773 posts
    May 1, 2016 2:55 PM EDT

If people have 'never heard' of the Jarls of Skyrim on a website that is all about Skyrim then maybe they are on the wrong site...

• 96 posts
    May 1, 2016 3:06 PM EDT
    It was more of a joke :P. But honestly, I never heard of half of them.
    • 54 posts
    May 1, 2016 3:14 PM EDT

Me too. I am really bad with names. Had to look up the names

• 140 posts
    May 1, 2016 4:21 PM EDT

I really need to brush up on my knowledge of all the Jarls, but's here's a few that jump to mind:

Ulfric could certainly be a good High King, at least in my opinion. From what I can tell, most of the dislike towards him stems from his dislike, or rather lack of caring, towards other, non-Nord races. And while this would most likely cause problems in the future, he does what's necessary to stand up for his own people.

I could also see Brunwulf making a decent High King, with his open mindedness and such. And he most likely has some knowledge of the battlefield from his time in the Great War, which could prove useful if ever there's another rebellion/uprising, etc.

I could see Elisf doing well, too. She seems to be relatively neutral on the Civil War, if bordering more towards the Empire, and she is already in a fairly strong position of power.

I have to say that Maven and Siddgeir are undoubtedly my least favorite choices; Maven because she's, well, Maven, and for some reason I get a sort of Joffrey vibe from Siddgeir.

• 54 posts
    May 1, 2016 4:55 PM EDT
    From the look of the site poll right now, Balgruuf has the majority. He would make a good king, honest and caring and will do Skyrim well, as most people would think. But his successor, his child? Yes, two of the three of his children are horrible and spoilt but the heir is Frothnar. Frothnar is not horrible and is not insulting towards the dragon born, unlike his siblings. He might be a bit too violent though...

But if he perishes and the position given to his siblings...
    That would be another reason to leave Skyrim...
    • 411 posts
    May 1, 2016 5:24 PM EDT

Skald is the true high king!

• 59 posts
    May 1, 2016 5:59 PM EDT

no, Brunwolf is the true high king! he's a warrior, he's smart and fair. fuck ulfric

• 59 posts
    May 1, 2016 6:00 PM EDT

i have no idea who denier is

EDIT oh shit, its dengier auto corrected in the poll

• 59 posts
    May 1, 2016 6:01 PM EDT

FWI auto correct with dengeir in the poll

• 273 posts
    May 1, 2016 6:53 PM EDT

Ulfric... 

• 96 posts
    May 1, 2016 6:56 PM EDT
    You wanna know why? It's the only Jarl every Skyrim player met at least once (Ulfric's failed execution doesn't count). :P
    • 273 posts
    May 1, 2016 6:59 PM EDT

Not only are his Children assholes, Nelkir is under the influence of Mephala, imagine what would happen if he came to power...

• 168 posts
    May 1, 2016 7:14 PM EDT

For anyone undecided about who deserves to be High King/Queen, here is a quick brief:

Skald - A crazy old man willing to conscript townsfolk.

Brina - An ex war veteran who has experience with leading men and more concerned about protecting the people of her hold.

Siddgeir - A spoiled brat who at least knows what goes on within the hold and listens to council.

Dengeir - A crazy old man lost to his own paranoia, believing everyone around him are Imperial spies.

Igmund - A man who understands the needs of his people must come first before vengeance.

Thongvor - A Silver-Blood thug who is overly fond of violence.

Idgrod - A mystic who has successfully run Morthal Hold for years.

Sorli - A miner uneduated with running Morthal and only cares about herself.

Laila - A puppet too inept to run Riften when she's not too busy covering her eyes to the crimes going on around her.

Maven - A woman who was already running Riften from behind the scenes and controls the crime.

Elisif - She simply let her advisors second-guess her in front of the whole court.

Balgruuf - A man who retains his Nordic customs while still keeping an open mind.

Vignar - A stuck-up old warrior, set in his ways, blinded by pride.

Ulfric - He has misplaced angst towards the Empire, causing the deaths of thousands and fueling Alduin’s power, instead of fighting off just the Thalmor.

Brunwulf - A man who wants to repair and maintain open relationships with other races in his hold.

Korir - A man who hates magic enough to want to remove the mages from the College entirely from his hold and by extension all of Skyrim.

Kraldar - A man who understands the importance of magic and doesn't want to remove all mages in Skyrim.