Forums » The Lounge

TV Chat: Game of Thrones S6

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    April 27, 2016 8:24 PM EDT

I find it hard to believe that in a gaming community with such refined tastes as ours there aren't more people who like to watch/discuss/read HBO's Game of Thrones and the superior A Song of Ice and Fire books.

Last year I used to throw my opinion on the week's episode as a status and ended up engaging in some quality talk with a member or two (usually just Matt Feeney) and accidentally spoiling the episode to Ben C in the activity feed (Sorry Ben), so I thought it would be a good idea to have a fixed thread where we can all see what other individuals with such refined tastes for games think about the latest GOT episode, discuss book theories, talk about their favourite characters, what you are looking forward to and all that.

Before you get commenting, however, I'd like to ask you to post a spoiler warning before your comment and if you want to talk about something in the books also put up a book spoiler warning. I also advise you to start your post with no spoilers in the first line so it doesn't show up in the Vault's activity feed.

This is Dolorous Edd. He received two votes to be the Lord Commander in the books.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    April 27, 2016 8:30 PM EDT

I liked the première. But I have a lot to complain about one arch. A lot. More than I had to complain about HBO's portrayal of Stannis and their decisions concerning Sir Barristan. It's too cold right now, so I'm going to eat a hot soup and perhaps I'll post today my feelings about the worst thing they ever did in Game of Thrones and the worst line I have ever seen in a TV show. That line seriously sounded like something ripped straight out of the Tumblr of an angsty teenager.

• 1441 posts
    April 27, 2016 8:32 PM EDT

I've wanted to discuss it for awhile now. Love the show, and the books. Though, I haven't been able to watch the show in awhile.

So, spoilers for the books, but, who do you think Coldhands is, the undead, possibly Wight, Nights Watchmen who aids Sam, Bran, and the rest into the home of the Raven King? I, personally, think it MIGHT be Benjen.

• 1441 posts
    April 27, 2016 8:37 PM EDT

Oh come on, how bad could it be? True, the portrayal of Stannis is...OK, I mean, in the books he was strong, if a bit cold and blunt. But one good thing, Renly was pretty good....then he got ganked

• 649 posts
    April 28, 2016 8:01 AM EDT

I´m tempted to watch S6. I mean, I read the books, haven´t watched the show, only few episodes like Red Wedding and other really epic moments from the books. But I´m not sure if it´s worth it to watch it. Once Martin finishes the book, everything will be different is my guess.

Has someone the same problem as me?

• 321 posts
    April 28, 2016 8:09 AM EDT

I really like watching GoT and reading the books (seriously, I got all six of them to read for the rest of the year.) though I prefer watching memorable moments of past seasons.

And I recently watched the first episode of Season 6 and I have to say, it was quite a kickstarter for the new season.

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    April 28, 2016 10:03 AM EDT

What is Dolorous may never die, but rises again, dourer and snarkier.

On one hand, Doran was a badass player (of the game of thrones), and I was really looking forward to his Fire and Blood speech. Preston Jacobs got me pumped on Deeper Dorne and Dornish Master Plan. I was pumped for him this season.

Spoilers: So the Sand Sneks want revenge on the Lannisters for killing Martels. So they kill off the last of the Martels.

But then, I'm really happy Melisandre being ancient and using her glamour is confirmed(?). According to her actress, she's 400 years old. Which just happens to be how long since the Doom happened.

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    April 28, 2016 10:05 AM EDT

Six? If you've got yourself a copy of Winds of Winter...

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    April 28, 2016 10:06 AM EDT

Coldhands says himself that he's been around for many, many years. He isn't Benjen. Most like one of Bloodraven's men.

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    April 28, 2016 10:07 AM EDT

You want a good girl, but you need bad pussy.

-Sand Snek

That one?

• 321 posts
    April 28, 2016 10:09 AM EDT

Oh, my bad it's five. Seemed to have mistaken the sixth book as Season 6 of GoT.

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    April 28, 2016 10:12 AM EDT

I recommend A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms. A World of Ice and Fire has some great information about Planetos too.

• April 28, 2016 2:14 PM EDT

Oh yeah, that line...

• 268 posts
    April 28, 2016 3:05 PM EDT

I need to reread the books, was having a GOT chat with friends the other day and realised how much I forgot... 

Somebody give me a lightning quick summary of each book. Extra points to whoever can do it in just one sentence per book! (I'll allow you two sentences for 3 and 5 since they're split into 2 parts)

Should be fun 

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    April 28, 2016 4:21 PM EDT

A Game of Thrones: "What has been 15 years in the making finally hits the fan."

A Clash of Kings: "Things escalate."

A Storm of Swords: "Number 1 cause of death: weddings."

A Feast for Crows: "War is hell."

A Dance for Dragons: "Things get worse."

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    April 29, 2016 2:55 PM EDT

There's no better line to sum up how the Sand Snakes and D&D's Dornish plot sucks.

• 1441 posts
    April 29, 2016 3:01 PM EDT

Possibly, wonder if he´ll aid in the fight when the Walkers eventually surge into Westeros proper

• 1441 posts
    April 29, 2016 3:03 PM EDT

Hmm, interesting. What a coincidence, or not. 

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    May 1, 2016 11:42 PM EDT

[Spoilers for GOT S6 EP2 and ADWD] I liked this episode better than what we got last week. Not that I didn't like the scenes they delivered on the première, but that whole Dorne shit, with them wasting both Doran Martell played by a great actor and Areo fricking Hotah, and all those stupid Sand Worms. I knew not casting Arianne was a bad sign... Anyway, all that Dorne shit really let me down.

A couple of thoughts about this episode: I'm not sure I'm getting the crazy/menacing/mysterious look I expected to get from Euron. He could at least have his eyepatch? I hope it gets better, but my choice to play Euron will always be Mads Mikkelsen. And cool to see a hint towards his Silence.

I always liked the Leech Lord, and the actor playing him nailed it, so I'm sad to see him go, especially without seeing him taste some Frey pies. Also sad to see what happened with poor Walda and her kid.

From what I've seen, I think we won't be having a TV adaptation of "The Great Northern Conspiracy"? No Manderly, no pies. All we got was that old lady back in S5 telling Sansa that the North doesn't forget? I really hope the North doesn't forget...

• May 2, 2016 12:00 AM EDT

Getting a little sick of coups. How many have happened/are occurring this season? 6 or 7?

• 321 posts
    May 2, 2016 12:05 AM EDT

Perhaps they'll be a coup for every episode. My bet is on the Night's Watch on Ep 3.

• May 2, 2016 2:17 AM EDT

I need some Victarion Greyjoy in my life.

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    May 2, 2016 2:31 PM EDT

Sand Worms

You mean Sand Sneks?

From what I've seen, I think we won't be having a TV adaptation of "The Great Northern Conspiracy"? No Manderly, no pies. All we got was that old lady back in S5 telling Sansa that the North doesn't forget? I really hope the North doesn't forget...

THIS. Of all the theorycrafting in this setting, The Great Northern Conspiracy is the one I love above all others.

I wanted this;

I know about the promise … Maester Theomore, tell them! A thousand years before the Conquest, a promise was made, and oaths were sworn in the Wolf's Den before the old gods and the new. When we were sore beset and friendless, hounded from our homes and in peril of our lives, the wolves took us in and nourished us and protected us against our enemies. The city is built upon the land they gave us. In return we swore that we should always be their men. Stark men. -Wylla Manderly

And this!

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    May 2, 2016 2:40 PM EDT

This thread needs more love for the Damphair.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    May 8, 2016 10:49 PM EDT

[Spoilers for GOT S6 EP 3 and ADWD] I know it wasn't like anything near the books, but it sure was nice to see Lord Umber openly defying Ramsay and Karstark in this week's episode... Until he gave him Rickon and Summer's head. I really hope there's more to that storyline, but my hopes keep getting crushed every episode.