Forums » General Gaming

Why I Believe Dark Souls Are The Best Games

• 622 posts
    April 25, 2016 9:22 PM EDT

THIS sums up how I feel entirely 

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    April 25, 2016 9:27 PM EDT

For good measure, I'll expand that I hate video games were the point of the game is to kill things one after another ad nauseam. I despise movies that sling together long sequences of over the top combat. I get bored watching them after a few minutes.

This isn't my type of game, and it's perfectly fine for someone else to love it. Just don't be coming to an Elder Scrolls fansite and be telling me Dark Souls is one of the best video games. I vehemently disagree Dark Souls could be considered better than Elder Scrolls.

• 700 posts
    April 25, 2016 9:30 PM EDT

Ah, good! I was hoping my point would come across sensibly. 

• 275 posts
    April 25, 2016 9:31 PM EDT
    So you like being handheld through a game like a toddler with their parents?

Casual...
    • 275 posts
    April 25, 2016 9:34 PM EDT
    Technically this is the part of the Elder Scrolls fansite where you CAN do that.

"Kill things one after another" you say? Isn't that the majority of Bethesda titles?
    • 273 posts
    April 25, 2016 9:35 PM EDT

Casul* 

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    April 25, 2016 9:49 PM EDT

Do you understand the difference between a literal statement of me telling you what you can or cannot do and my figurative statement of that course of action being a bad idea?

I only play Elder Scrolls, which offer a delightful array of things to do in their games and options in which to engage in combat. I can slaughter every creature I come across or avoid nearly every encounter if I so desire and still advance through quest lines.

• 168 posts
    April 25, 2016 9:49 PM EDT

1. Dying in Dark Souls isn't as big a deal as people make it out to be. Sure you lose your souls, but those can be reacquired easily; as long as you don't run around carelessly with millions upon millions of souls, it isn't a big deal. It's a problem in DkS2 because of soul memory, but even then its only a big deal if you keep dying repeatedly. I'd rather respawn at a bonfire and lose my souls than die in Skyrim and have the most recent save be an hour away.

2. This just irritates me. While going in blind can be fun sometimes, I want to know where to get certain things. And save Solaire. But at least there's new game plus, I guess.

3. Still boils down to attacking, dodging and blocking. But sure, you're not wrong that any foe can kill the player. Until they get Havel's armor, or shields with 100% block on physical or any other damage type, then you can stand there and mash R1 with your weapon of choice, most likely you'll have enough estus to be as careless as you want.

4. True, but I feel this way about other games too.

5. For the most part I would agree with this BUT you've never tried the Bandit Greataxe in DkS2. Probably the most useless weapon in the game, since the patch that took away it's ability to grant the straight sword's powerstance moveset to powerstanced great weapons, everything the Bandit Greataxe does another weapon does better. It's so freaking short, out-ranged by the regular Axe class weapons, out-ranged by some fist weapons even. It's got the exact same moveset as the Gyrm Greataxe and Black Knight Greataxe, so it's slow, but because it's so short it can't properly use its own moveset. And to add insult to injury, it's damage is on the low end compared to other greataxes, the Bandit Greataxe is just a handicap, you're better off with the Handmaid's Ladle. And let's not forget the Sniper Crossbow from Dark Souls 1... But sure, it's possible to win with weapons such as the Bandit Greataxe, but it begs the question 'why not use any other axe/greataxe instead of the Bandit Greataxe?'.

6. Elder Scrolls lore is better IMO. But it's just preference.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Dark Souls series. It's one of the few games where I actually enjoy the online multiplayer. But I don't think Dark Souls is the best ever.

• 273 posts
    April 25, 2016 9:51 PM EDT

Except for almost every quest is "Go here, kill some draugr/bandits, come back for an insignificant amount of gold"... So someone has to do the killing, even if it is a follower. 

Don't get me wrong, I love and respect Elder Scrolls. I just respect Dark Souls more and find its style and combat more intricate.

• 700 posts
    April 25, 2016 9:56 PM EDT

I like to think there's some middle ground between hand-holding and designed-to-frustrate, but regardless, I'm just gonna play what I have fun playing. That's what we all do, right? 

• April 25, 2016 10:18 PM EDT

"I wouldn’t disagree with this point so strongly if the game offered a bonfire before each boss fight." Definitely disagree here. I love needing to get to the boss as efficiently as possible. It's fun developing the best possible route, figuring out which enemies to kill, which enemies to simply run past, make sure you didn't miss any shortcuts, etc.

• 700 posts
    April 25, 2016 10:25 PM EDT

I think I enjoyed this only in the beginning of DS1, from the bonfire to the...was it a Minotaur boss? The one weak to lightning, it's basically the first big boss from what I remember. I enjoyed learning the most efficient routes then! I think Blighttown and general exhaustion ruined this for me, honestly. Dark Souls is just an exhausting game and I eventually just grew tired of having to play the same section over and over again. And I miss every shortcut, so... :P

• 96 posts
    April 25, 2016 10:57 PM EDT
    100 gold isn't thaat insignificant, considering the fact that killing the emperor only costs 15k septims (if I remember right).
    • 273 posts
    April 25, 2016 11:07 PM EDT

100 gold can't even buy you a single steel sword on its own, not even a spell...

100 gold might be the difference between buying something good, but on its own it can only buy you about 3-4 iron ingots.

• 7 posts
    April 26, 2016 12:18 AM EDT

Weirdly I guess, I've been put off playing DS from two separate experiences. The first was trying vanilla DS as a dodgy port before it was available for the PC and the controls confused and upset me. The other was actually reading feedback about it on steam - most of the people who rated it so highly had that (ugh, can't believe I'm saying this) "git gud" attitude that made me vomit in my mouth a bit. Seriously, if there's a better way to instantly look like a wanker I've not found it.

I've been considering buying the games recently to give them a proper go, but am slightly hesitant about the Eastern influence - I don't in essance have an issue with it, but I seldom find games developed in Asia to be things I enjoy, exception to the rule was Shenmue as an example, but on the other hand I've hated every Final Fantasy I've tried. I'm also not sure about this death thing - I don't mind hard, hell, I enjoy hard(!), but sometimes I get the impression hard is baked into these games almost as a gimmick? Like suddenly ambushing you with stuff that kills you in two seconds purely because to survive you'd need to have a stratedgy but have no time to plan one? That might have been overstated though.

No save control... eh, I guess that's a preference thing? I get irritated when I have to run back from x place because that was the checkpoint, but maybe that's because I don't go A-B, I sort of run around every nook and cranny and explore, so if I've spent maybe 45 minutes exploring then get pounced by some ninja hippo who instantly flattens my face, am I going to end up crying in frustration?

• 627 posts
    April 26, 2016 12:42 AM EDT

Slightly off topic but while I do agree that a lot of the PvP community are irritating there is this one encounter that makes me smile whenever I think of it. I was invaded by this guy that just stood there waving at me and when I killed him he sent me a message along the lines of "Why'd you attack me? I was just being friendly" at least that's how I remember it, I could check but I'm too lazy to plug my ps3 in.

• 66 posts
    April 26, 2016 1:05 AM EDT

I'm new to DS and have only been playing DS3. I die a lot, but I really enjoy the game.

I was really lost about why I would care about the Lords of Cinder or why everyone was undead, so I watched some videos to get caught up on DS1 and DS2 events. Game play wise, there isn't really a story line, just go forward and kill stuff and find a scrap of lore here and there on an item, which I find sad since its a great nihilist universe. I like the balance of the TES strategy. 

The lack of tooltips really frustrates me. I want to know what damage my spells do or if a magic armor buff is work leveling the stats for.I was using a ring for a while that said it had life leach for consecutive attacks, but it wasn't doing anything. I had to look the item up on a wiki to find out that it only worked on the 7-8th hit, which never happens since I'm using a spear! That seems like an important detail.

I think DS3 has a nice compromise for bonfire locations. There's still enemies blocking the way, but with some skilled rolling you can usually evade them and reach the boss within a minute or two. I like how death works, it feels more immersive than reloading and it makes you think if you really want to go into the next room with so many souls or turn back.

Combat is a lot of fun. Fast paced and all about the timing and distancing; like really fights. I also like how mobs are still a threat and all the gear is useful. However, I don't like how bosses are all about memorizing move sets. Ideally, I would like to see AI's adapt to your fighting style and mix up their timings. By time I manage to beat a boss, it just feels like a procedure, which sucks the sense of accomplishment out of it for me.

One thing I want to see more of in games in general, is locational damage. Imagine chopping a boss's leg off and watching him hobble after you or breaking a hole in a plate/shell and landing criticals there afterwards. It should work the other way around as well. I want to try and win a fight with a broken arm or seeing double.   

• 558 posts
    April 26, 2016 9:01 AM EDT

It's too niche to be very popular, but it is still my favorite game series.

• 275 posts
    April 26, 2016 3:42 PM EDT
    You should never die in two seconds in any fight. You should always take at least 10 if you are just standing there like you're AFK or you're stun locked but never less if you actually try to fight.

"Git Gud" is just referring to the learning curve in the series. This is not like most games where you can go through the game and not get defeated once, anyone can kill you, boss or not. A single unarmed hollow can kill a noob if he's being stupid.

Don't get discourage if you die. Few can go through the game without dying, but those few who can successfully do a no bonfire and no death run are probably no-life's. I just suggest not to use too many bonfire ascetics.
    • 275 posts
    April 26, 2016 3:44 PM EDT
    Always attack an invader, every vid I've seen with an invader not trying to kill the host immediately either lead them to their deaths or equip a high crit weapon and backstab them when they are not looking.
    • 268 posts
    April 26, 2016 4:09 PM EDT

There are some pretty awful hitboxes as far as the Pursuer is concerned, his blue cursed sword attack can suck you in.

Also, mimics have a 360 degree hitbox around themselves in their wakeup grab attack.

• 275 posts
    April 26, 2016 4:13 PM EDT
    I haven't encountered that, I deal with the Pursuer by bringing a phantom or two to distract him while I use the ballista. ;) When I find a mimic I keep my distance as with all enemies.
    • 1 posts
    May 28, 2016 12:33 AM EDT

1. You're

2. a

3. filthy

4. casual

5. gamer