Forums » General Gaming

Which Bethesda intro did you like the most?

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    March 9, 2016 9:11 PM EST

As you are all well aware, games tend to start with an introdutory sequence that aims to present the game's setting and situation to the player. But Bethesda, the developer behind both Fallout and The Elder Scrolls goes to an extra lenght to do that, because in each game they award their consumers with something that had fallen out of the industry's radar: the opportunity for the player to develop their own background, like gamers were able to in the old classics.

Bethesda game intros are designed to incentive the player to do that. Take, as an example, the classic Elder Scrolls "Prisoner" which allows a great deal of roleplaying customization and story development, mainly because they ask you "What the hell am I doing here? Was my imprisonment justified? Who am I? How do I feel about it?"

The same is true about Fallout, even though it may be somewhat more restrictive, they still allow you loads of customization and a lot of time of deliberating while deciding how was your childhood, how you ended up becoming a courier, which role you served in the military and why you enlisted or why you have that law school degree and how you ended up marrying with a war veteran. The possibilities are endless, no matter how much people say Fallout 4 in particular was somehow dumbed down. (And yes, I do agree that it was "dumbed down", but I can understand the decision and certainly don't think it was to the degree people bitch about).

So! As usual, pick a topic, share your thoughts and let's talk!

•  Which Bethesda game intro did you like the most?
    •  Did you take in account the freedom you are given in creating your character and background when you answered the previous question?
    •  Do you like cinematic cutscenes before the intro itself starts, like in the Fallout series? Would you like to see more of them in Elder Scrolls?
    •  Within the Fallout games, which cinematic intro did you like the most? Why?
    •  Do you have anything in particular you would like to see in a future Fallout or Elder Scrolls intro?

Consider all Fallout games, even those not published/developed by Bethesda.

• March 9, 2016 9:39 PM EST

Gotta go with Oblivion. Going through that dark, claustrophobic sewer and then having a high fantasy world open up to you at the end of the tunnel. Great feeling.

• March 9, 2016 9:44 PM EST

Morrowind's opening cinematic, while amazing for a main quest character, really lacked for any other. I would like to see this sort of thing expanded on more for other character-types, just to overview the province. Something like FONV did that well.

However, I like starting my games out with a dungeon and I liked Oblivion's better than Skyrim's. It was way too main quest-y, either way, but I found Oblivion's more interesting.

• 312 posts
    March 9, 2016 9:44 PM EST

Which Bethesda game intro did you like the most?

I definitely enjoyed waking up in Doc Mitchell's house the best. Poking around his house for extra chems and an SMG was definitely a good way to get me into the game.

Did you take in account the freedom you are given in creating your character and background when you answered the previous question?

Yes. The Courier is a pretty blank slate and gives plenty of role-play opportunities.

Do you like cinematic cutscenes before the intro itself starts, like in the Fallout series? Would you like to see more of them in Elder Scrolls?

I love the cinematic cutscenes. I'd only want them in TES if they're done well.

Within the Fallout games, which cinematic intro did you like the most? Why?

New Vegas. Nothing says "War Never Changes" like a guy's face getting splattered by the AMR.

Do you have anything in particular you would like to see in a future Fallout or Elder Scrolls intro?

Nope! :D

You'll notice that I prefer Obsidian's stuff to Bethesda's. Why is that, I wonder.

• 411 posts
    March 9, 2016 9:50 PM EST

• 133 posts
    March 9, 2016 10:44 PM EST
    •  Which Bethesda game intro did you like the most?

My favorites are Fallout: New Vegas and Morrowind, if solely for their ability to set the vibe of the game and to give enough background. For instance, in Morrowind, a game about discovering and exploiting this totally alien island, you are dropped off in this strange town, with minimal directions and a few coins in your hand. In F:NV, you get all these contrasts, which is what that game is about, cowboys and tribals and power armor-wearing soldiers duking it out in the shadow of this pre-war relic of a city.

• Did you take in account the freedom you are given in creating your character and background when you answered the previous question?

No, I didn't, but now that I think about it, these were two of the best in those terms as well. In Morrowind, you get let off the boat, make your character, and get out. In F:NV, the only information you're given is that you were a courier. Until Lonesome Road, it didn't matter how long or for what reason, only that you had, at one point, taken on the job. 

•  Do you like cinematic cutscenes before the intro itself starts, like in the Fallout series? Would you like to see more of them in Elder Scrolls?

I love 'em. They not only set the mood and give vital exposition, but they usually look damn good as well. That first sight of the New Vegas strip is quite wonderful, and the view of it in the distance from the Cemetery is enough to make you want to get there ASAP, or at least it was for me.

•  Within the Fallout games, which cinematic intro did you like the most? Why?

Definitely Fallout: New Vegas' intro. Something about the colors and the camera angles, and the flashing from faction to faction just gets me every time. I think I've only skipped the thing once or twice, honestly, and I regretted it every time.

•  Do you have anything in particular you would like to see in a future Fallout or Elder Scrolls intro?

No.

• 1217 posts
    March 9, 2016 11:06 PM EST

New Vegas is still my favorite. The freedom is definitely a factor, but more so the setting. The cinematic is actually probably the biggest part of it. Brings me right into the setting in an exciting way. Hard to say if TES would benefit from that, though.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    March 10, 2016 9:07 PM EST

You're not alone, mate. New Vegas still is my favourite 3D Fallout game, and I pray to Talos that Bethesda allows Obsidian to make another spin-off - If Obsidian gets Chris Avellone back to co-write the game.

• 558 posts
    March 26, 2016 8:15 PM EDT

It might be nostalgia talking, but I have to give it to Oblivion.

• 268 posts
    March 27, 2016 3:41 AM EDT
    Oblivion. It sort of got you started on the main quest, but you could almost feel like you didn't owe those people anything and just go your own way with this strange memento (amulet of kings) just sat in your inventory and in the back of your mind... It almost created its own RP.