Forums » Fallout

Survival mode details confirmed

• 773 posts
    February 25, 2016 4:05 AM EST

As mentioned on the front page, one Reddit user has cleverly data mined the game files after the latest patch, and come up with a comprehensive list of Survival mode additions.

Here goes

============================

Saving

Manual and quicksaving are disabled. To save your game, you’ll need to find a bed and sleep for at least an hour.

Combat

Combat is more lethal for everyone. You now deal, but also take, more damage. You can increase the damage you deal even further with “Adrenaline” (see below).

Fast Travel

Fast Travel is disabled. If you wish to be somewhere, you’ll have to physically travel there.

Weighted Ammo

Bullets and shells now all have a small amount of weight, which varies by caliber. Heavier items such as fusion cores, rockets, and mini-nukes can really drag you down.

Compass

Be sure to keep your eyes peeled, as enemies will no longer appear on your compass. As well, the distance at which locations of interest will appear has been significantly shortened.

Adrenaline

Survival automatically grants the Adrenaline perk, which provides a bonus to your damage output. Unlike other perks, the only way to increase your rank of the Adrenaline perk is by getting kills (hostile or otherwise). The higher your Adrenaline rank, the higher the damage bonus. Sleeping for more than an hour, however, will cause your Adrenaline rank to lower. You can check your current Adrenaline rank at any time in the Perks section on the Stat tab in your Pip-Boy.

Wellness

You’ll find it difficult to survive without taking proper care of yourself. You must stay hydrated, fed, and rested to remain combat-ready. Going for extended periods of time without food, water, or sleep will begin to adversely affect your health, hurting your SPECIAL stats, adding to your Fatigue (see “Fatigue” below), lowering your immunity (see “Sickness” below), and eventually even dealing physical damage to you.

Fatigue

Fatigue works like radiation but affects your Action Points (AP) rather than your Hit Points (HP). The more Fatigue you’ve built up, the less AP you’ll have for other actions. The amount of Fatigue you’ve accumulated is displayed in red on your AP bar.

Sickness

A comprised immune system and a few questionable decisions can end up getting you killed. Eating uncooked meat, drinking unpurified water, taking damage from disease-ridden sources, such as ghouls and bugs, or using harmful Chems all put your body at increased risk for various ill effects. When you are afflicted with an illness, a message will appear onscreen. You can view specifics about your current illnesses by navigating to the Status section on your Pip-Boy’s Data tab and pressing [RShoulder] to view your active effects.

Antibiotics

Antibiotics, which can be crafted at Chem Stations or purchased from doctors, heal the various effects of sickness.

Bed Types

The type of bed you’re sleeping in determines the length of time you are able to stay asleep. A sleeping bag will save your game and may help save your life when you’re desperate, but it will never allow for a full night’s rest and the benefits that come with it.

Crippled Limbs

Crippled limbs will no longer auto-heal after combat and will remain crippled until healed by a Stimpak.

Carry Weight

Exceeding your carry weight reduces your Endurance and Agility stats and periodically damages your legs and health. Think of your back!

Companions

Companions will no longer automatically get back up if downed during combat and will return home if abandoned without being healed.

Enemy and Loot Repopulation

Locations you’ve cleared will now repopulate enemies and loot at a significantly slower rate.

=================

Wow! That's quite a list. Let's discuss...

• 739 posts
    February 25, 2016 5:11 AM EST

Sounds like there's going to be a lot more to think about...let's hope they didn't take it too far..

I love the sound of that Adrenaline system and I really like that the endurance stat is looking more attractive on Survival. I see a lot of players choosing to play on survival for all these cool mechanics they have going on,  should make things more interesting...

• 288 posts
    February 25, 2016 7:59 AM EST

This may come interesting for heavy powerplayers looking for a hardcore challenge. By the looks of it, it will once again be best suited for stealth characters.

Some of it's restrictions are in danger of being more of a tedious chore than a challenge, though, like the sleeping thing, for example. Also, the "distance at which locations of interest will appear has been significantly shortened" thing seems a bit useless, as most players already know 80-90% of the map by heart.

Other than that, I doubt any survival mode will fix the game's main inherent problems. But challenge-seekers will probably go for it, at least for a while.

• 739 posts
    February 25, 2016 8:15 AM EST

"Some of it's restrictions are in danger of being more of a tedious chore than a challenge..."

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of as well...

It'll depend on how often some of the negative effects are applied.

I think 24 real minutes = one whole day in FO4 so if you have to eat and sleep once per day I imagine it gets tedious, I can spend 24 minutes looting in some areas...

The Companion/Stimpak thing could also be annoying, some companions (Deacan/Nick/Dogmeat) seem to have a death wish (can you even Stimpak Nick?) I guess Codsworth is going to become more popular as you can't Stimpak him...

• 1913 posts
    February 25, 2016 11:26 AM EST

It's not 24 minutes, it's a little over an hour for me. Still not great, but not terrible.

• 95 posts
    February 25, 2016 7:40 PM EST

That was my problem w/ survival mode in New Vegas. It felt like dehydration and hunger increased far too quickly and got tedious.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    February 25, 2016 7:48 PM EST

Something I missed when first taking a look at this: Companions are still essential. I had hoped they would change that with Survival Mode, but I can see their reasoning - the announced "Far Harbor" DLC seems to require Valentine, though I wager it could be done without him, considering he has an assistant... Unless he is somehow needed during the expansion's main quest.

• 1441 posts
    February 25, 2016 8:09 PM EST

Possibly

• February 25, 2016 8:13 PM EST
    Interesting. It sounds really tough, but I like the fact that you are also dealing more damage. I makes it sound like, instead of making it more difficult by making enemies bullet sponges, it makes *everything* very frail. I like that more, because it rewards skill. I wonder how much Endurance will be useful to mitigate that frailty? It would be nice if it did, making a high-Endurance build (slow but steady) an actual tactical option...
  • February 26, 2016 11:45 AM EST

Frankly, I'm glad. Non-essentially companions are basically useless, because you have no control over how they act. Eventually, they'll run up to something big or get shot enough to fall over...and there's little you can do about it.

• 1441 posts
    February 26, 2016 12:48 PM EST

True, though, why is Preston the only essential faction leader? To make sure you have at lest one faction questline to follow?