Forums » Fallout

Usefulness Of Mines In Fallout 4

• 229 posts
    February 21, 2016 12:05 AM EST
    I have gotten several hundred frag mines from playing this game, and yet I can't recall ever using one. I try to think of situations where they might be useful to me, but fail to think of any. I'm considering the idea of covering hostile locations with mines so that the next time they respawn and I arrive, they'll get blown apart. However, I'm worried my mines will disappear like the ones that enemies use. Do any of you have any idea what I should do with them? I could sell them, but I have enough caps already, and feel that using them would be more satisfying.
    • 1441 posts
    February 21, 2016 12:08 AM EST

Aside from selling them, they can be useful for damaging the limbs of enemies like Deathclaws, or for making traps

• 739 posts
    February 22, 2016 12:34 PM EST

They work really well with stealth characters, try setting up some choke points in interior cells and remember to stack them up nice and thick...

One of the best missions for mines is Boston Public Library. I try and save up about 25 of them and then spread them all over the building before the mutants start arriving. The resulting fireworks will usually tag most of the mutants as they come in so even if the robots kill them you'll still get the EXP.

Great for snipers as well, if you're taking on a big base of enemies you can set a bunch of mines around your camping position in advance.

Mines are just huge fun!

• 133 posts
    February 22, 2016 8:21 PM EST

Weird...I never seem to have enough mines for what I want to do. I seem to use them not before combat, but during it, especially if I'm fighting a melee-heavy faction like raiders or super mutants. Often I will get to my perch before combat and lay mines as I go, knowing that the raiders armed (sadly) with only a pool cue will run into them. Often the ten or so I've laid down are enough to down at least a few.

• 229 posts
    February 23, 2016 9:08 PM EST

I do sneak around a lot, but at this point I basically get really close and headshot them, or do it from a moderate distance. I guess I can think of several situations where I can use them, but I alway feel like I can do it quicker and easier with my guns. Even on Survival it's really easy for me to kill things, especially since I have a near infinite amount of most supplies. I'm hoping the survival update will make it it harder, because right now I don't even really use Stimpaks much. I have 1000+ of them in a wooden cabinet in Sanctuary, in addition to a mountain of ammo and a few hundred frag grenades (which I also don't use). I really should just max out my explosives perk and just go out with a large amount of mines and grenades (nothing else) and see what happens. 

• 98 posts
    February 24, 2016 9:41 AM EST
    Save them for Swan, lol.
    • 229 posts
    February 24, 2016 3:10 PM EST

He's been dead for a longtime on my profile, pretty sure I just killed him with a few stealth criticals.