Forums » The Lounge

Future Talk: What are you expecting this year?

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    January 23, 2016 12:30 PM EST

Hey all, the year is well on its way now, and personally it's always crazy for me when I stop for a moment and think: Darn it, we're almost reaching the 2020's! We're close to enter the science "fiction" age! (That last part is just some wishful thinking).

And that feeling sparks some interesting ideas and it'll hopefully also spark some lively debates/opinions, so I'm planning on doing a series of discussions that focus exactly on that: The future. To kick it off I decided to start with something more light, immediate and realistic:

What are your plans for this year? What do you expect?

It can be anything, a new job, moving out, a professional qualification, a new game, a baby, a new TV show/movie, meeting old friends and family members you haven't seen in a while, visiting new places... What do you want?

Seeing this is election year in the U.S, and a large part of our community hangs from there, please refrain from mentioning/discussing politics and ideologies.

Upcoming topic: The Future of Gaming

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    January 23, 2016 1:13 PM EST

As last year, I'm expecting some dumb moves by D&D that will make me mad at them and HBO's GOT, but I will still watch it every day because it's still a great show, and I'll likely overcome and come to accept those changes. (But I will never accept the Barristan thing in S5. It just made me hate the show Dany storyline a lot more.)

Anyway, I expect this year I'll be going to Bonito in Mato Grosso do Sul here in Brazil (look it up, it's really beautiful. I just hope those damn mosquitoes don't greet me with a disease) where I'll be doing some echo tourism. I'm dying for some... nature/echo trail (Don't know if that's the correct English term, we just say trilha ecológica), and, of course:                                        Yay!

• 641 posts
    January 23, 2016 1:18 PM EST

I expect to play aloooooot of No Mans Sky

• 1441 posts
    January 23, 2016 1:30 PM EST

Getting some games, trying to make games. I'm excited for, among others, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    January 23, 2016 1:39 PM EST

Aye, I can't get tired of watching gameplay videos and trailers. The atmosphere in that game looks, feels amazing!

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    January 23, 2016 1:41 PM EST

Making some games? Are you involved in any project or something, or are you going to try and start it yourself?

• 1441 posts
    January 23, 2016 1:51 PM EST

Oh, start it myself, I already have some basic training in doing so, and I know a fair bit of python and HTML coding

• 641 posts
    January 23, 2016 1:52 PM EST

Totally! I plan on being a cosmic archaeologist and just flying around exploring any old ruins I find. 

• 1467 posts
    January 23, 2016 7:10 PM EST

Hmmm, my plans are limited for the year in all honesty. I've got Year 12 coming up, which is my last required year of study so that'll likely take up most of my year. 

I am planning to see about getting a new job this year, I've been working the same one nonstop (nearly) for 2 years, I'd like to branch out and get a few more skills under my belt. Unfortunately there isn't anything that I've been able to find that can give me anything but customer service (Or stocking). So it looks like another year of Mcdonalds for me.

Other then that I think my year will be pretty clear of new things to do,  or looking forward to anything. I have to legally vote this year, so there is that. But yeah, pretty chill year.

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    January 24, 2016 3:54 AM EST

This is the year.

Yup.

Awaits his letter to American Hogwarts.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    January 24, 2016 11:17 AM EST

As much as I find it an interesting area, I sadly have no knowledge at all when it comes to programing and stuff. Make sure to share your stuff with us (if you want to), and good luck!

• 1441 posts
    January 24, 2016 11:20 AM EST

Thanks Edd, and I shall

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    January 24, 2016 11:24 AM EST

It's my "last" year too, though I doubt it'll be the last year study is required of me. If anything, I'll have to study even more in the coming years, now everything is really competitive here in Brazil.

Anyway, good luck on finding a new job! There has to be something new for you to do.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    January 24, 2016 11:27 AM EST

You go now!

But don't you have to be 10 or so years to join Hogwarts?

• 694 posts
    January 24, 2016 12:19 PM EST

Have you given any thought to what pet you'll be taking? 

I think I see you with an owl.