Forums » Elder Scrolls

What is your favorite 2015 movie?

• 277 posts
    December 28, 2015 3:06 AM EST
    Hello everyone!

I love watching movies and through this discussion I'm hoping to discover more awesome stuff. The title of the discussion speaks for itself, regardless I am going to ask again: What is your favorite 2015 movie? Please don't post any plot spoilers!

Out of the movies I've seen this year, I enjoyed the most Ridley Scott's The Martian, starring Matt "The Ironman" Damon. I'm a sucker for space travel movies and this one was a masterpiece whose place is up there with Interstellar and Sunshine! I'm looking forward to seeing Tarantino's The Hateful Eight and Abrams' Star Wars so things may change.
    • 1441 posts
    December 28, 2015 3:22 AM EST

Hmm I actually haven't seen too many movies from this year. Hotel Translyvania 2 was quite good, and one of the movies where Adam Sandler's acting was bearble. Though, so far, the movie I've seen from this year would be Inside Out, with a very nice concept. Though, I have yet to see The Force Awakens, and may do so tomorrow.

• 321 posts
    December 28, 2015 3:32 AM EST

This year was probably the most times I've been to the movies. I've watched Inside Out with my little brothers which was ok IMO. Then I watched Spectre,intro music was good but couldn't beat Adele's Skyfall and damn tentacles.Then finally,I watch The Force Awakens,was expecting the worse but came out as one of the best movie this year but the plot is almost familiar.

Might watch The Hateful Eight.Maybe it'll turn out as great as Django Unchained.

• December 28, 2015 3:48 AM EST

I'm stuck between two movies. *Spoiler-free*

Mad Max: Fury Road~ Crazy good effects, a nice mix of practical and CG. An interesting cast of characters like Immortan, Furiosa, the Warboys, and even Max himself (despite having very few lines). The designs were great. I'm remembering one of the raider leaders who had what resembled some kind of religious cowl except it was made of bullets. Also Doof Warrior! The consistent pace and tone were nice too. Tone is sometimes understated, but a fluctuating tone can really put me off a movie. The good things about this movie have been said and I won't be able to say anything new.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens~ I'm so happy I can put a Star Wars movie on my 'Top Movies' list again. I'm one of the people who preferred the OT over basically everything else, even the EU (from what I've seen, obviously I haven't read everything in the EU). I liked the mysticism and mystery of the Force. I liked Darth Vader just being some cybernetic weirdo following an "ancient religion" rather than being the Chosen One. I liked the lightsaber fights. I liked the dialogue ("I find your lack of faith disturbing" is honestly one of my favorite lines, I can't even explain it). I liked the unique designs. I liked the Hero's Journey. God, I love these movies...I should probably talk about the new one.

So yeah I really liked the Force Awakens because it is extremely similar to the original trilogy. Occasionally to a fault, which is why I hope the next director, Rian Johnson, distances himself a bit more than Abrams did. That being said I think the familiarity set a good foundation for the new trilogy. Even though I'm not a huge Abrams fan, it's clear he understood the original trilogy. "Long before we had this title, the idea of The Force Awakens was that this would become the evolution of not just a hero, but a villain." ~J.J. Abrams making a pretty clear reference to A Hero's Journey, which the original trilogy was heavily based on.

Also for the next movie, I hope Johnson fleshed out Rey a bit more and gives her some flaws. She was very well acted and her quips were great, but she seemed a little Mary Sue-ish. I'm pretty confidence in this happening since Empire Strikes Back was the movie where I feel Luke developed the most.

• 1441 posts
    December 28, 2015 3:53 AM EST

Some fans were displeased with a certain part of TFA, since to them, it basically makes it seem as if big bad Nazi-Empire will always clash will a rebel alliance, and no true democracy will last 

• 1467 posts
    December 28, 2015 4:19 AM EST

My top two movies this year were

1: Force Awakens 

To me (though I just watched it 2 days ago so I might still have my awe-glasses on) this was easily the best film of the year. I really wasn't excited for it, I was pretty neutral the entire year and didn't predict good or bad. Then I was actually blown away by how awesome the movie was, especially that one scene on the Starkiller that nearly made me cry (people who have seen it know what I'm talking about)

The plot might not have been the most original, but it was still as amazing as my first time watching A New Hope, the new characters were utterly enthralling and help my attention through the entire movie and the returning characters were just as awesome. The entire feel of the movie was just Original Trilogy and by god do I love that.

2: Age of Ultron

Apparently a lot of people hate on Age of Ultron but I really loved it. The way that it set the MCU up for Civil War, Infinity War, Thor: Ragnarok and everything else was just superbly done, and it stood alone as an awesome movie (that Ultron vs. Avengers fight at the end was freaking boss and nobody can say otherwise.) 

• 321 posts
    December 28, 2015 4:50 AM EST

I just watched Age of Ultron because of James Spader lol.

• 277 posts
    December 28, 2015 5:26 AM EST
    I think Age of Ultron suffered because it had to make way for too many phase 3 movies. I felt that the action was rushed and at times the multiple plots were lacking detail. Still I enjoyed the movie. :D
    • 277 posts
    December 28, 2015 5:45 AM EST
    I read good things about Inside Out. It is definitely on my must watch list.
  • Tom
    • 624 posts
    December 28, 2015 9:21 AM EST

I don't go to the movies except maybe once or twice a year, so it was difficult for me to remember what I've seen. Luckily through HBO, I get quite a few movies earlier than DVD release (well, I never buy movies either).

So using Wikipedia's 2015 in film page, I'll list every movie I've seen and what I thought.

Jupiter Ascending: Meh? Needed more Maria Doyle Kennedy, but that just might because I find her attractive. It was weird with Channing Tatum and Mila Kunis's character was boring as hell. I think Redlettermedia said it best when it's a soppy romance/space opera for pre-teens.

Fifty Shades of Grey: Luckily this one was on HBO/Starz and I just skipped through 90% of this shitty movie. Sex bits weren't even good.

Insurgent: I watched this for the sake of my crush on Shailene Woodley. Premise of the whole series is stupid. More of that pre-teen shlock.

Jurassic World: I enjoyed it. Nice meta-analysis with the "people want a monster they've never seen before" bit. Way too much product placement. Dinosaurs win due to gross incompetency on behalf of humans. I feel bad for the assistant. Not the greatest Jurassic Park, but it didn't suck.

Star Wars: Fucking best movie this year. It didn't suck guys! It didn't suck!

The characters are dynamic, interesting, and carry the story like they should've and did in the originals. Kylo Ren is moody, rebellious teenager/young adult Anakin wasn't in the prequels. Han Solo was Han Solo instead of an old Harrison Ford playing Han Solo. Leia felt like Leia instead of old Carrie Fisher playing Leia. Finn was great, Rey was great, Poe needed more time but what we got from him was great. Max von Sydow was wasted, but hopefully his role is explored more in the next movies.

The weakest point was the plotline, which really was too similar to A New Hope, but it wasn't that big a deal for me considering everything else. I hated the Maz character myself. You know she's CGI and it brought me out of it, and her dialogue was really cheesy. I'll add a minor quibble with how everyone kept bringing up the Force and the Dark Side and the Light. We all know what that shit means, stop telling us every fucking conversation.

+1000 points for not mentioning Midichlorians or anything from the prequels.

• 288 posts
    December 28, 2015 9:27 AM EST

I've only seen the new Terminator and Star Wars this year and none of them was particularly favourite.

• 558 posts
    December 28, 2015 8:29 PM EST

The movies I've seen from this year are Jurassic World, Mad Max: Fury Road, and Krampus.

MM was easily the best, followed by a Krampus then JW. Jurassic World was okay (some parts were dumb, like the glass ball thing getting attacked by a dino. It was basically a ripped-off scene from the first movie. The dino fight at the end was cool, though). Krampus surprised me in a good way (there were some boring parts, but I like that they didn't use CGI for the entire movie).