Forums » The Lounge

What has gaming done for you?

• 700 posts
    December 14, 2015 9:50 PM EST

So it's hard to go one day anymore where I don't notice something about myself that gaming helped mold. And not just the supernatural reflexes and Sherlock-like observational skills either. Gaming has contributed to my most memorable experiences and influenced me more as a person than I think any non-gamer will ever understand, and I suspect many others feel the same. 

So what has gaming done for you? What are the highlights of your gaming history? How far does gaming's influence reach in your lives? Don't worry, I don't expect others to share without also sharing myself, but I didn't fell like making all of you read my wall before posting your own. 

*Not a medically accurate representation of the brain

• 1441 posts
    December 14, 2015 9:58 PM EST

Hmm, gaming kickstarted my desire to make my own games, many of the games I've played have changed my outlook on the world, or sparked imagination. Also, I've been gaming since I was five

• 558 posts
    December 14, 2015 10:08 PM EST

I feel like it has made me more creative.

• 321 posts
    December 14, 2015 10:28 PM EST

Well gaming has introduced me to the world of lore and history.Usually I get bored with history but after playing some WWII games,I started to like history since I could imagine what it's like during those days...

• 743 posts
    December 14, 2015 10:47 PM EST
    Sounds really odd, but Assassin's Creed has put me in the habit of speaking more articulate. As for other games, Call of Duty is another notable one. It's trained my eyes to have faster reflexes.

Better keep them lookers trained if you're gonna quickscope some newbs.
    • 694 posts
    December 14, 2015 10:55 PM EST

This is a great question. Not only is it just fun as hell, but for me, it's one of the things that restores balance to days. Life can be really stressful, and on the days when I need to just shut the stressors out, it's a great way for me to do that. But at the same time, it allows me focus all my attention and energy on something fun. While this is often labeled as "escapism," I sort of think of it in terms of just improving other parts of myself. I don't view it as escapism for  escapism's sake. Because you're absolutely right-- it does quicken response times and reflexes, observational and decision-making skills. I'm a better cyclist because I game. I'm a better strategist because I play games... so it's a really fun way to condition other parts of myself that also need upkeep. 

In addition to all that, I have a family full of gamers. It gives us something to do and another thing to relate to. I've spent countless hours discussing and bickering about TES with my brother alone, and it's always time well-spent. 

Similarly, it's also given me a chance to talk to like-minded people and have really interesting and in-depth conversations about complex issues and scenarios that make me think critically, and crack me up too. The Vault alone has given me so many hours of entertainment and friendships I wouldn't have otherwise formed. And for all that, I feel hard pressed to come up with anything I would even consider trading it for. So in terms of what it's given me for the time, invested... I can say it's more than worth the time spent. 

• 177 posts
    December 14, 2015 11:05 PM EST

Get ready for a dump of Pinkie's life, as gaming has had a massive impact on my life!

So, when I was just a twinkie Pinkie I played my first video game! It was, oddly , my rather abusive father who brought me to the arcade in the first place. For whatever reason had possessed him, he had decided to take me to the arcade and I played everything. But first, I played the fighting simulator, Soul Caliber, and I loved it! I used what little money I had and played that game to death until I had nothing left. Every time I had to go to my Dad's I would beg  him to go to the arcade, but I was usually promptly told to shut the fuck up. Eventually, when I was a little more adept at, uh, acquiring  *Cough* Stealing *Cough* money I got enough for a game cube! It wasn't much , as it was used and really crappy, But I loved the thing to death and would play it all the time! I really loved playing Star Fox Adventures! So, after a while my mom started dating again, and eventually she got involved with this kinda creepy occult guy. But he was a creepy occult guy with a PS2 and GTA San Andreas! When I saw the game, I fell in love, and played the thing whenever I could! I also played whatever else he had, under his nose of course! After a few years they broke up (Surprise, surprise), but he made one fatal mistake. He left the PS2 in a perfect stealing place! I took the thing and played it for the next few years. When the mid 2000's rolled around my Mom's side was doing a bit better and we had enough for basic necessities, and my birthday was rolling around. So, my middle class grandparents, bought me a motherfucking Xbox 360! At the time it was, like, the best thing ever! Eventually I got Assassin's Creed and loved it! Aaaaand a year later I got my the first of my favorite series, Fallout 3! It was around 16 and my angsty teen years....thiiiings started to go to shit. I will spare you the details but it involved some heavy drug use (Hallucinogenics and Marijuana to be precise), my dad's family disowning me and some other stuff but I got in some really bad situations. Buuuuut after some stuff went down (Stories for another thread, one involves waking up covered in my piss at an Arby's parking lot) I started to game again, Skyrim and Fallout: New Vegas to be specific. (I guess sometimes I would get really high and play NV, but I didn't really experience the game until Skyrim came out.  And now, a few years later, here I am! (Mostly) Clean and having fun!

I guess, sparing the life story, gaming overall has improved my life in several ways. From making me a bit more creative, making me (somewhat ironically) more prone to peaceful approaches and sharpening my reflex!s and awareness! It also helped me clean up the mess that was teenage me...

• December 14, 2015 11:17 PM EST
    That's quite a story. Congrats on the recovery.
    • 694 posts
    December 14, 2015 11:48 PM EST

Seconded! Thank you for sharing that with us, Pinkie. It takes a lot of guts to talk about the tough stuff too, and I really commend you for that. I think its fantastic that gaming had a positive impact on your life. I feel you the media tends to demonize it for various reasons, and that you rarely hear about the ways it helps people. Obviously we're all biased here, but it's still great to see. 

• 700 posts
    December 14, 2015 11:54 PM EST

Damn Pinkie, I didn't realize gaming has done so much for you, but I'm glad it has. Thanks for sharing that, it's those kinds of stories I love hearing. So many different things lead us all here and I figure it's worth appreciating the individual experiences. You still have any of those old consoles and games? 

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    December 15, 2015 1:31 AM EST

It have wasted thousands of dollars and years of my life to lose myself in a fantasy with no other desire than to escape the pit of self-loathing and all hatred of my life. A massive chunk of very important years of my life have been lost with nothing productive to show for it, and only false-memories of good times between long stretches of boredom and stress. There were no deep or lasting friendships, only passing acquaintances the veil of anonymity gave the impression of intimacy.

I think people are trying to justify themselves in claiming videogames provide some sort of tangible skill, unless you're playing a game that is designed specifically to do so. This is entertainment, and I treat it like I would a movie. Movies are pretty, they're entertaining, but most are hogwash designed to pluck emotional strings and display bright images to distract you for a little while. They're fun and nothing more.

I'll be more specific. I play role playing games and strategy. If it isn't one of these, it isn't worth bothering with. Don't try and tell me your piddly-ass shooters or arcade games are strategic either. Point, shoot, move. A lobotomized monkey could play Call of Duty or whatever that horseshit is called.

I like to lose myself in stories to distract myself from my own life. Role playing is my means of doing so. Some videogames help with that, but ultimately I find them lackluster. I suggest anyone who enjoys these games check out Dungeons and Dragons or other tabletop role playing games. There is no limit to story in these games, and even better it might get you to interact with real people.

In conclusion, I wish I'd focused more on school and getting the help I needed when I was younger than hiding off in video games. This is entertainment, not anything of importance.

• 649 posts
    December 15, 2015 2:23 AM EST

Gaming let´s you hide, it let´s you run away, but only for short period of time. But sometimes that´s all you need.

I´m happy for you, Pinkie, that you´re (mostly) clean and having fun.

• 288 posts
    December 15, 2015 2:38 AM EST

Gaming is a way to escape into a better world

Back in high school gaming probably helped me perfect my English language, come to think of it. And is probably the main reason for my "computer literacy", let's call it.

My friends from university that I still keep in touch with are all from a gaming group that used to play non-stop Starcraft Broodwar and Delta Force in the university computer lab

Other than that, gaming gave me the mindset that if I ever kill anyone, I must definitely loot his body

• 288 posts
    December 15, 2015 2:40 AM EST

Nah, you can hide and run away all your life, you just have to be good at it

• 113 posts
    December 15, 2015 2:46 AM EST
    It has changed my whole life. I'm not quite good at making friends so gaming has given me whole new worlds to explore sitting at home. #Gaming4Life.
    • 649 posts
    December 15, 2015 2:52 AM EST

Yeah. You have to convince your parents to let you live with them for the rest of your life. And feed you. And other things

• 288 posts
    December 15, 2015 2:54 AM EST

In my country you don't have to convince them to do such a thing, they do it by default

• 649 posts
    December 15, 2015 2:58 AM EST

I really don´t want to get to deep into this, but do you consider it a good thing?

In my country it´s quite common thing that men (yes, usually men) live with their parents for 30-40 years. "Mama boyz" we call them. I think it´s kinda sad that most men can´t get up on their own feet because they don´t want to put effort into their own lives.

And to stay on topic, most of these men are gamers.

• 288 posts
    December 15, 2015 3:01 AM EST

Well, I think you answered your question yourself - obviously it is a good thing if you want to be a dedicated gamer

And why do you call them "mama boyz" if they live with their father too? Isn't that sexual discrimination?

• 649 posts
    December 15, 2015 3:10 AM EST

Why mama boyz? Because they can´t let go their mom´s skirt. I mean, 30 years old guy who can´t even wash his clothes, cook, go to grocery, pay his own rent and take care of himself overall isn´t a man in my book.

I might sound as a hypocrithe now. I consider myself a gamer, but not a dedicated gamer. And I despise dedicated gamers for whom the games are their whole life.

• 288 posts
    December 15, 2015 3:18 AM EST

Well, that's what I'm saying, maybe they can't let go their pop's pants. How do you deduce it's the mom, this is sexism

Anyway, nobody washes their clothes these days, washing machines do this.

Men that cook are....a rare occurrence. Ususally they go from mom's cooking to wife's cooking.

Going to the grocery - you have to be paralyzed or something not to be able to do this.

As for paying the rent - why pay if you have a place of your own. After all your parents' house/flat is your future inheritance, especially if you're an only child, and thus can be considered your home too.

But, as you said, it's a long topic and it's offtopic.

• 411 posts
    December 15, 2015 3:30 AM EST
    They distract me from my suicidal thoughts.
    • 47 posts
    December 15, 2015 4:11 AM EST

It`s a way to lose some steam and relax from the day-to-day chores. Also, I am not a warrior and I don`t have the so called `killer instinct` nature has given to men, probably because I have a nice, cozy life and games offer a way to experience that.

• 52 posts
    December 15, 2015 4:29 AM EST

You must be a Goddess Edana! You preached this right into my quire!  That's exactly how I feel too.

It has completely changed my life for the better. Not once have I ever regretted it! and for the rest of my life as well as for my families, my comrades sake. I will always continue to play and as well one day to make my own games!

• 52 posts
    December 15, 2015 4:35 AM EST

Quite A rare gem you are Pinkie! That's some powerful Chit right there! May the rest of your life be filled with keeping clean, having fun, and enjoying life to the fullest and may gaming keep you there! You only live once dearie!