Forums » The Lounge

What has gaming done for you?

• 1595 posts
    December 16, 2015 5:16 PM EST

I think that the degree to which one dislikes reality is an indicator to their mental health. Disliking reality is usually caused by circumstance and addressing the cause(s) can go a long way to helping reality become more bearable but those circumstances will leave scars depending on their severity. In this way I don't believe in the word normal and feel everybody is in some way damaged.

Besides, a realist is what an optimist calls a pessimist

• 177 posts
    December 16, 2015 5:30 PM EST

Awwwww, thank you so much Legion! And don't worry about the sap, I am quite alright with it. And when I say thank you, I mean it very very much! I love that you find my positivity as an addition to the forums and not as an annoyance like some other sites have! I just figure I might as well be happy instead of miserable, I got more than my fill of miserable my early life, so what's the point of moping? And me, Strong? Brave? Thank you, that's such a sweet thing to say! I've never seen myself as really "brave" for telling what happened, but thank you sooooo much for thinking about me like that! It's makes me feel even better! And thank you for creating this thread, Legion. I always like a chance to improve some lives, and just maybe, prevent someone from making stupid wupid choices like I did!

And here's some of my own sap! You're all great and make this site great!

• 177 posts
    December 16, 2015 5:40 PM EST

Well then it's a great thing that you play games then Mirric, the site just would't be the same without you! Just like Edana said, feel free to talk anytime! I know how you feel, and I would love to help in any small way I can! 

• 622 posts
    December 16, 2015 5:44 PM EST

It has given me a chance to be a hero, an observer, a friend and the chance to be something better then what I am. I have saved people, vanquished villains and tamed the mightiest of creatures. I've assassinated the corrupt, purged the land of evil, explored planets far beyond my reach and become something I could never even DREAM to become. What has gaming given me then?

Hope. Hope that I will become something more then I am now.

• 95 posts
    December 16, 2015 6:34 PM EST

Quite frankly, there are many days when I don't like myself. As I'm sure I've said before on the Vault, gaming lets me be not me, which is part of the reason I love open world games; I can be anyone and do anything, and not have to be boring old me. 

• 394 posts
    December 16, 2015 10:22 PM EST

+1

Where's the retweet button? :)

• 394 posts
    December 16, 2015 10:25 PM EST

Personally I think you probably have to be psychologically unstable to *like* reality, or at least very naive

• 273 posts
    December 16, 2015 10:53 PM EST

I agree with this, although not so much suicidal as dysphoria-related problems, which may not be as severe, but its still not good. Hope you're okay, buddy. 

• 66 posts
    December 17, 2015 3:32 AM EST

Well sometimes I find myself planning my career path like a perk spread. I'm an introvert that likes to be around people, so I still feel drained after socializing and immersing myself in a game's universe (or writing) provide a much needed reprieve to recharge. I do need be careful because sometimes I find myself also using the escapism to hide my problems from myself and that lowers my motivation to improve. I recently went backpacking to help reset myself and sure enough found some issues plaguing me that my subconsciousness had manged to hide from my consciousness.

Great thread Legion and thanks to everyone for sharing some sensitive information; a lot of insight is revealed in these comments.

• 394 posts
    December 17, 2015 8:26 AM EST

Legion, this is a superb question, & to give a decent answer for myself I'd probably need to write a book. Which I may do someday. In the meantime I'll think about a Reader's Digest version.

• 394 posts
    December 17, 2015 8:29 AM EST

Sorry: had to be done 

• 394 posts
    December 17, 2015 12:47 PM EST

Also, gaming doesn't give you cirrhosis. As far as I know. And it's probably safer for driving.

• 52 posts
    December 17, 2015 9:17 PM EST

I'd would pleasantly, like to make this discussion. "The Discussion Of The Year!"

There have been quite some great discussions on here but, there is always that one that sticks out and shines as bright as Venus. It will be this discussion that everyone has been kind of to share their personal views on such a diverse subject that will be remembered on this site for years to come!

You must be very open minded and opinionated Legion. Based on everyone and everything I encountered, that is a rare quality that I see in few good people. Kudos!  

• 52 posts
    December 17, 2015 9:25 PM EST

Pokémon! oh yes, that's one of my personal favorites right there. It still is one of my favorites at least up to Unova Region. ( Which I think was the best ) That series alone as taught me so much and made me alot of friends. ( and rivals ) Skyrim is my very first game I've ever had the pleasure of playing on a modern, personal PC. Truthfully, I don't think I'll ever get tired of playing it because there is always something to do or something to learn! I myself just hit my 1800th hour and as far I'm concerned, I'm just getting started! Gaming changes lives no question about it!

• 52 posts
    December 17, 2015 9:30 PM EST

And to you as well Pinkie! We all need someone to talk to and in my opinion, you can never ever have enough good friends into which to share your feelings, thoughts and history with. In my opinion it is how we grow as and mature as a group. If there is any way I can be help to any of you guys or gals. Don't hesitate to send me a PM.

• 394 posts
    December 17, 2015 9:32 PM EST

Well said!

• 622 posts
    December 17, 2015 9:35 PM EST

I'm playing Pokemon right now! 

• 52 posts
    December 17, 2015 9:41 PM EST

For those who are interested, I will indeed! Some of my best modding ideas has came from reading several of peoples Discussions and Character Builds. They've gotten me out of ruts that I could've been in for months if it wasn't for this community that is why I take pride in being a part of it. These ideas I get and changes I make to the game, I document every last one as well as give credit and thanks for those who inspired me to not just start it but to go all the way.

Invested time into gaming? It pays off believe you me, it pays off! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. 

• 52 posts
    December 17, 2015 9:46 PM EST

Why Thank you! My good man!

• 700 posts
    December 18, 2015 12:28 PM EST
    Oh yeah, I totally get needing to recharge after socializing. I find it amusing that sometimes this recharge involves playing an RPG, where interacting with others is a core mechanic. I'm glad you brought up the downside of escapism though. Sometimes it's easy to lose your grasp on reality instead of taking a controlled break from it, though I'm happy to hear you're not only aware of it, but know how to actively combat it and restore balance to your life.

I figure gaming is, like any passion, something to lean on in times of distress. It won't carry people through life if it becomes their lives; but people talk about crutches like they're bad things, when really, all people need to cope with something at some point. And all of us here have turned to gaming in these times for, from what I can see, an overwhelmingly positive outcome. And I think that's pretty swell.
    • 700 posts
    December 18, 2015 12:45 PM EST
    Yeah, I definitely feel ya there. Sometimes I'm just so tired of being me, that I go into some digital world for a while as someone who isn't me (though I think there is something to be said for playing as yourself in-game as a sort of visualization technique, allowing you to design and act as who you want to be), and do things I would never do in the real world. It might also be fair to say that the more creatively minded prefer this kind of escapism. The ability to dissociate with your own self and enter another's perspective seems like quality that the creative types have. And all that creative stuff floating around in your head isn't boring. It's part of who you are, it just needs to be nurtured right.

But that's just me speculating and rambling.
    • 694 posts
    December 18, 2015 1:08 PM EST

Thanks, Fresh. 

• 694 posts
    December 18, 2015 1:10 PM EST

Disliking reality is an indicator of mental health? That seems a little like a sweeping generalization to me, especially when sometimes life circumstances are unchangeable. I guess I just personally wouldn't feel comfortable standing behind that sort of statement or the idea that “many gamers aren't the most psychologically stable people.” I’d think some people here may take issue with that sort of assumption. Everyone has a coping mechanism, whether it’s booze, books, box sets, or bideogames, we’ve all done it in one form or another at some point. I think it’s totally human and normal.

• 694 posts
    December 18, 2015 1:12 PM EST

Good to know I'm not alone. 

I mean I still did all the things I needed to do on a daily basis to be a person. I didn't stop going to work, or showering, or anything like that. I didn't "live" in Tamriel. It was just my free time activity of choice. (Of course, who here could really blame me for that? ) Way better than lying in a dark room listening to mopey music more than any person reasonably should. 

• 694 posts
    December 18, 2015 1:14 PM EST

This. I love this. Big +1 from me.