Forums » General Gaming

New game creation! Any suggestions?

• 43 posts
    December 7, 2015 3:40 PM EST

Hello peasants! 2 weeks ago, I decided to use all my free time up and make a mobile game. Now, before you ask 'Why not do a 3D console game?', I will tell you why not:

1) For starters, I do not have 10 years to spare. Or a 200 person team working 24/7.

2) The mobile game is going to be a PREQUEL to the 3D game I plan on making in a few years. I'm not starting on it as soon as I finish the mobile game because I want to learn a little more about making 3D open world games.

3) It is better to start off with a mobile game first and then move to a 3D game, because by the time I start the 3D game I have more experience with game creating.

So, now that all that is out of the way, I wanted to ask you all if you have any suggestions for what should be in the mobile game. I already have all the key features figured out, but I still need to go a little more in-depth with all of it so it isn't a total waste of time. So, PLEASE start thinking of new ideas. Because right now, it is about as unique as a tin can. I mean, it looks like a pokemon game with the plot and characters changed. It is THAT bad.

• 1441 posts
    December 7, 2015 3:42 PM EST

Perhaps have it turn out you are mind controlling these beings, and only think they are volunteering to aid you? Or perhaps have it be teammates, like humans or elves or whatnot you control, alongside animals.

And it's Fire Nation Peasant, to you sir!

• 411 posts
    December 7, 2015 3:45 PM EST
    You could make a 3D game by yourself if you know what your doing.
    • 43 posts
    December 7, 2015 4:30 PM EST

Yeah, I know, but as I said before the 3D game I plan on making is largely open world, including many major cities that you can visit in the planet the game occurs in. I won't give out any spoilers about the plot, because I am still fine tuning it, but Time, Magic, and Modern Influence will all play MAJOR roles in the story.

• 224 posts
    December 15, 2015 2:28 AM EST

Would be nice one video game of zombies, maybe like Skyrim but about zombies in a modern city :), there are really cool video games on celphones

• 47 posts
    December 15, 2015 4:14 AM EST

Try a puzzle game with a touch of adventure like Syberia, for example. 

• 43 posts
    December 15, 2015 9:23 PM EST

I kind of have something similar to what Chris said in mind, and I pan on having enemies in it that are kind of like zombies, but it won't be in modern day, that will be the 3D game. But I want it to at least have the graphics of pokemon, but it will be MUCH simpler to make. I won't have over 500 enemies, just different ranks of enemies. I think I am ready to explain my full idea.

Plot: The world you are in is called Eirth, and your character was a warrior at the battle of Icolen in the Ice Lands, but he was killed. But he was killed by one of the Great Dragon Kings, and this one was being controlled by the God of Darkness. He killed your character with a blade of solid darkness, but because your heart was so pure the effects were negated and your soul was kept alive. The God of Darkness took notice of this and thought that if you couldn't be killed, than he could offer you a job. So he took your soul and corrupted it, scattering your memories across the world, and made you into the Grim Reaper. So now you are released on the world, searching for souls to take, while also looking for your scattered memories.

Enemies: All humans, basically. Farmers-Weak, Citizens-Slightly Stronger, Soldier-Mildly Strong, Knight-Strong, Dragon Knight-Powerful, Dragon King-Very Powerful, Gods-EXTREMELY Powerful.

(When you beat enemies, you take their souls, and they then become your companions. You can have an infinite number of them, because the Grim Reaper doesn't stop at 6 minions. And, when your minions are defeated, they don't "faint", they flat-out die. Makes it a LOT harder, huh?)

Friends: The God of Darkness

Customization: You can change your cloak color, hood color, add accessories, change your skin color, and close to the end you can choose which element you want to represent.

Combat: Pretty much like pokemon, just no pokeballs, instead there are soul orbs.

Boosts: Soul merges, basically where you merge 2 souls together to make a stronger variant.

Gyms: Temples. You fight powerful souls there.

Locations: Ancient cities and villages of the world. Places with Temples.

Titles: You can gain titles, from Unknown to the God of Death. You gain titles by enslaving a certain amount of souls. To get to God of Death, it would take about a week of playing nothing but that to get. If you get Dragon Knights, they count as 2 souls, Dragon Kings count as 4 souls, Gods count as 10 souls.

What do you think?

• 558 posts
    December 15, 2015 10:00 PM EST

Seems cool. How are you going to explain all of the lore?

• 43 posts
    December 17, 2015 7:24 PM EST

What do you mean? Because I plan on placing the 3D one on Earth, and once you beat this one you will understand how and why that happens.

• 41 posts
    December 20, 2015 11:44 PM EST
    So question. It's in ancient times? Or more medieval? How prevalent is magic?
    • 130 posts
    December 21, 2015 8:30 AM EST

My main advice is to not give up. Creating a game is always going to be a bigger project then you think it will be. Don't give up like the rest of us dabblers.

• 43 posts
    December 21, 2015 10:40 AM EST
    • 43 posts
    December 21, 2015 10:42 AM EST

I won't, but I am starting to realize that the software I downloaded is NOT going to work for pokemon style game development.

• 12 posts
    January 26, 2016 10:32 PM EST
    This sounds REALLY cool! IOS? Or Android? I hope IOS, because I want to play it. Haha.
  • Tom
    • 624 posts
    January 27, 2016 12:20 AM EST

I might be late to the party, but...

A horror fantasy exploration game. You wake up in a labyrinthine underground (or a black forest or swamp) complex of natural and artificial caves full of horrible monsters that range in disgusting body horror fungus body snatchers, illithid chest bursting larva, or mind raping elves that eat people's names. No weapons or combat. You have to survive by wit. Lots of puzzles and clever use of environment.

• 54 posts
    February 4, 2016 9:25 PM EST

Cats. I don't care what it is, it has to have cats in it. And you don't kill the cats! You pet them, and love how fluffy they are. (I really like cats.)

• 43 posts
    February 7, 2016 9:36 AM EST

I'm not giving up, but I might have to get rid of some of my ideas for customization if my engine is incapable of putting it in there. I just realized that, so don't get too hyped about the customization part.

• 43 posts
    February 7, 2016 9:50 AM EST

The thing is, getting the license to put games on IOS costs 100 dollars a year, and I'm not sure if I can get out of it after I finish the game. Luckily, an Android license costs a one-time fee of $25 dollars, so I will probably start off on Android, then I will get an IOS one if I ever get enough money that I won't need to starve for a week.

• 43 posts
    February 7, 2016 9:59 AM EST

This is a universe where magic isn't known, and the rising of the Dragon Kings with their mysterious overlord has been a HUGE awakening for them about how weird and magical their world really is. And I would say more in semi-ancient, semi-medieval times, because the timeline is kind of like Fallout with the '50s stuff and robots, except this is a place where all the major things from medieval times are there: weapons and armor. The only exceptions are that the society of the world is almost like the original idea of communism, with no leaders, no money, no government, and perfect harmony. At least until the Grim Reaper came along, that is.

• 43 posts
    February 7, 2016 10:03 AM EST

Well, I could add cat soul sprites that follow you around, maybe as a pet mode or something.

• 43 posts
    February 7, 2016 10:10 AM EST

If you put that much thought into it, just make one yourself! You could probably find out what engine Scott Cawthon used to make FNAF on his Twitter page.

• 54 posts
    February 7, 2016 12:34 PM EST

YES! I'll buy 10 of them. xD Really though, the game sounds cool and I would buy it even if it had no cats.