Forums » Fallout

Spoilers: First Impressions of Fallout 4

• 209 posts
    November 11, 2015 7:55 AM EST

*Read this post at your own risk, I'm sure everybody will try to keep major spoilers out of this discussion, but sometimes what's classed as a spoiler is different for different individuals*

What are your first impressions of Fallout 4 ?

Key points for me :

-VATS is now obsolete (IMO). The fact that the weapons shoot much more accurately than they ever have before makes VATS alot less useful, the odd occassion I have used it has proved a liability.

-Power Armour system. This is a great addition to the series, it gives you further personalisation and makes adds a whole new dimension to combat. (I.E should I save my last Fusion Core until I need it ? Or should I use it to explore)

-Settlements. Yet another great addition for me, it keeps me motivated to pick up loot and gives a great escape from combat. It helps that I'm a Strategy fan, the placing of defenses etc keeps me entertained.

-Spoken dialogue. This was always guarenteed to split opinion, I like it personally, it may disconnect you from your own character, but I feel it builds connections with NPCs better, as you feel like you're an actual team, as opposed to a character with a sidekick.

-Weapon/Armour mods. Whereas the dialogue splits opinion, I'm fairly certain this crafting system will reunite us, the sheer variety of mods enables you to craft a weapon that you like, out of one you don't!

I may have missed a few so add to it if you can !

*sidenote- it'd be interesting for you to also share how the game runs on your rig? Mine its fairly stable, a few framerate drops indoors but I'm certain that will sorted with a patch.*

• 71 posts
    November 11, 2015 8:39 AM EST

I really like the layered armor, which allows you to wear it over top of clothing. It just looks awesome. I think the change to power armor really reinforces it as being a rare, special component of the game, and not just a simple alternative set of apparel. And because my aiming is off, I still love me some vats.

I was taken by surprise by some feral ghouls, though. I never remembered those zombies being so damn fast before...

• 1467 posts
    November 11, 2015 9:43 AM EST

I'm just going to link the Spoiler Policy here, seems like a discussion that's more likely to contain spoilers than most. 

HERE IT IS

• 209 posts
    November 11, 2015 9:45 AM EST
    Thanks, I'm sure we are all conscious of spoiling the game for others, I tried to mark it up as good as I could.
    • 209 posts
    November 11, 2015 9:47 AM EST
    The feral ghouls are great this time around ! The way they throw themselves at you and crawl through windows !

I try to take as many enemies out as possible from a distance, it's easy to scope them!
    • 71 posts
    November 11, 2015 5:44 PM EST

And the ability to pistol-whip them actually makes close quarters combat intense, as opposed to a virtual death sentence (for gun users, obviously doesn't apply to melee users). A herd of those things makes for a challenging encounter.

• 557 posts
    November 11, 2015 5:50 PM EST

Make sure this follows the spoiler policy TO THE LETTER. As of now it doesn't.