Forums » Elder Scrolls

Alchemy Inspiration...

• 739 posts
    November 7, 2015 12:49 PM EST

Ever seen a great potion and been inspired to make a new character dedicated to using said potion?

There's a potion I've been wanting to use for a long time and I'm finally going to give it a go later on with a new character. The ingredients are:-

Mora Tapinella + Dragon's Tongue + Fly Aminita 

Such common ingredients and yet the result is a pretty amazing potion...

Fortify Illusion
    Fortify Two Handed
    Resist Fire
    Fortify Stamina Regeneration

I've spent a long time looking at these effects and trying to decide what kind of monster would get the most benefit from such a potion combination...

So far I'm thinking that some kind of vampire warrior could work very well.

Fortify Illusion combined with the Champion of the Night's 25% bonus could be interesting...

All Vampires need the additional fire resistance...

Vampire Armor is light which means the Windwalker perk can pair up nicely with the additional stamina regeneration provided by the potion...which means...

...more stamina for liberal use of a two handed sword...as I'm already using alchemy I'm thinking the Ebony Blade would be gorgeous with this set up, no big need for smithing/enchanting...

What I am curious about is if taking Augmented Flames 2/2 and Champion of the Night will have any effect on the duration and power of the potion? I've seen it happen before; destruction perks will sometimes increase the strength and duration of resistance potions (resist poison for example)

...and we all know what happens when you combine Illusion with Fire perks (aspect of terror).

Any alchemists got any insights? 

• November 7, 2015 1:11 PM EST

Not an alchemist but as an "onry vampire" player I call BLASPHEMY! It's no fun to remove a vampire's main weakness. I like having to run away from firebreathing or fire shooting foes. BUT 2 handed as a vampire is reaaaally fun if you make use of the Stage 4 powers and a couple of the Vamp Lord powers in human form.

• 1217 posts
    November 7, 2015 1:12 PM EST

I thought you were opposed to running around.

• November 7, 2015 1:16 PM EST

In melee combat yes, but when you see a fireball coming your way it'd be weird NOT to run in the opposite direction 

• 739 posts
    November 7, 2015 1:43 PM EST

Lol, well it's no fun dying all the time either...

Fire Breath from an ancient dragon is a 1HKO on master difficulty with no resistances, never mind weaknesses. I don't mind making the occasional tactical retreat, but running away completely isn't on my list of things to do...

• November 7, 2015 1:54 PM EST

I know that feel, that's why I have a ward on my favorites even with 0 perks in Restoration and Become Etherial/Mist Form is always selected when I'm outdoors. x_x

• 1595 posts
    November 7, 2015 5:27 PM EST

I ran a similar version of this potion with the Imp Paradigm but I didn't need that boost to Illusion. Those are interesting questions, definitely worth testing.

• 1483 posts
    November 7, 2015 5:51 PM EST

I've never noticed anything boosting potion duration, they always last the same, regardless of perks, abilities and powers.

Now, regarding the power of the potion. Champion of Night boosts Illusion spells and powers. It will not boost potion effects, because they are classified as Restoration effects. For the same reason Augmented Flames do not affect it as well. That also means that you can use Fortify Restoration to boost the potion power, but this is probably something you know well already 

• 739 posts
    November 7, 2015 6:19 PM EST

Hi mate! 

Check out my video here at 3:40 onwards:- LINK

The conclusion of this was that destructions augment perks were effecting the potions magnitudes. I'm curious to see if destruction perks are capable of boosting any other effects tied with various super potions like the one i'm experimenting with above...

Actually mention you and Phil in this video....lol.

• 1483 posts
    November 7, 2015 6:24 PM EST

Hmm, that's weird. This needs to be tested extensively. If I get to Skyrim tomorrow, I'll try to reproduce this 

• 268 posts
    November 8, 2015 3:10 AM EST
    I also made use of this on my Crusader revamp (Dawnguard Rune Hammer + Rally spells) but the Vampire Ebony Blade idea sounds really cool. That would definitely synergise with Necromage, and you could even use the potion for boosts to rally spells and bring along a small army with you (follower, thralls, death hound), which seems very befitting of a vampire for me!

Through on a potion of fortify destruction and poison of weakness to magic and you'll have a super powered vamp with decent defences and very nice health absorb!
    • 288 posts
    November 8, 2015 3:46 AM EST

Fortify Two Handed - good

• 1483 posts
    November 8, 2015 5:03 AM EST

OK, I've tried this and was not able to reproduce this behavior. I used the very ingredients you used in the video. Neither of Aspect of Terror, Necromage, Fortify Restoration potion, Augmented Flames perks affected potion duration, it was stuck at 60 seconds. I have absolutely no idea for what might've caused the behavior in the video.

Regarding the displayed potion power it was not affected by the Champion of the Night, Augmented Flames, Aspect of Terror and Necromage. 

• T
    • 32 posts
    November 8, 2015 1:12 PM EST

I lolled a bit, I've been using this potion in a previous run. Rolled an assassin, stole the excecutioner's axe, and killed people with more style than a fashionista. Used Illusion, Sneak, Twohanded, Alchemy, and Light Armour. Damn he was awesome. Just imagine; all of a sudden, a hooded figure appears out of nowhere, with an axe larger than his body, and slowly raises it over his head... you're fucked. 

I really recommend doing a greataxe assassin run, it's fun. 

• 52 posts
    November 9, 2015 12:19 AM EST

Interesting idea! I'll have to experiment with that sometimes to see if that will work. Several factors the game itself ( based on what you're playing on ) can manipulate the chances of such combinations as well as other alchemy synergies. This means it's one of those situations in where " Your experience may vary."  moments.

• T
    • 32 posts
    November 9, 2015 4:59 AM EST

Oh, and if I'm not mistaken boosting Illusion does in fact indirectly empower your fire magic via the aspect of terror perk.