Forums » General Gaming

'Souls' Games

• 558 posts
    April 18, 2016 12:50 AM EDT
    Very good. The heide knight sword can take you all the way through the game if you want it to.
    • 275 posts
    April 18, 2016 12:59 AM EDT
    I'm currently thinking of leaving it for the Drangleic sword actually.
    • 273 posts
    April 22, 2016 11:34 AM EDT

High Lord Wolnir looks like something I would genuinely have nightmares about.

• 275 posts
    April 22, 2016 3:43 PM EDT
    This is a question about lore.

What is the origin of the Blue Sentinel covenant in Dark Souls 2? Where did they originate, are there any references to them through lore?
    • 268 posts
    April 22, 2016 4:03 PM EDT
    No idea, they're probably offshoot Blades of the Darkmoon (based on their colour).
    • 273 posts
    April 23, 2016 5:27 PM EDT

Does anyone have any idea what that transformation that Iudex Gundyr and a few other hollows can utilize is and why they can use it? It's baffled me for about a week now...

• 66 posts
    April 23, 2016 11:18 PM EDT

I got this a few days ago and have been playing with keyboard and mouse just fine; except for jumping, that's a pain in the ass. I have a lot of buttons on my mouse, which helps. They were very lazy in porting it though: the tuts are all for an xbox (not that they help much any way) and you can't map items to a key. I want to assign the estus flasks to 1 & 2, firebombs to 3, etc. but can't and have to scroll with the mouse wheel instead.

• 268 posts
    April 24, 2016 3:14 AM EDT
    It's called Pus of Man, though I have no idea what that means... Hopefully I'll find out after finishing the game, it's probably some darkness/humanity related thing.
    • 273 posts
    April 24, 2016 5:02 AM EDT

I had a look on the wiki, not sure how reliable it is, but I found this.

"Dark Souls lore describes the serpent as an imperfect dragon that is symbol of the undead."

"Kaathe, the guardian of Darkwraiths is the serpent of Dark. He and his ilk may be behind these monsters."

• 268 posts
    April 24, 2016 5:16 AM EDT
    That's Fextralife, can't trust em. Wait until the Wikidot's up and running or Vaati releases a video on it.
    • 273 posts
    April 24, 2016 9:47 AM EDT

How's anyone else finding Pontiff? I heard he was tough, but I beat him on my third try... I expected more I guess. (Not letting my guard down though)

• 268 posts
    April 24, 2016 10:55 AM EDT
    Not reached him yet, been having waaaay too much fun with low level PVP.

I'm still at the Road of Sacrifices, only killed Iudex, Vordt, Greatwood and Crystal Sage, and haven't really struggled with any (died to each once except Iudex who I beat first time). I've heard Pontiff is a bitch (though the Dark Souls community has a habit of over exaggerating), kinda like the Fume Knight. What area is he in? Don't worry about spoilers, I know most of the game's areas by now (even THAT big spoilery one which I won't dare spoil for any souls vet as it will literally ruin their lives).

I've just had so much fun picking up the covenant rewards that I can get right now that I haven't bothered advancing. Got ten vertebrae shackles which I traded in, working on Pale Tongues and Wolf Blade Grass now. Might try sunbor stuff too, though I have no intention of using GLS or SO.

I'd suggest getting in the low level PVP while you can, it's a helluva lot of fun and great for beginners since people aren't as experienced (Pontiff's spot is where you go for the duels btw, tons of signs there apparently).
    • 273 posts
    April 24, 2016 12:10 PM EDT

Sounds like quite the adventure, heh.

You can find Pontiff at the end of Ithyrill of Boreal Valley (Prolly butchered that spelling), just before... oh...

"ronA odnoL"

I'm afraid I haven't been playing PVP since my brother doesn't have Xbox Live, if I ever do get the game on PC, I'll start taking part in it then.

Side note, I've dubbed Aldrich as "Raper of Ashes" and "Devourer of Waifu's"

• 275 posts
    April 25, 2016 1:15 AM EDT
    Something weird happened in DS2.

Some of you may know about the shrine of winter and that you need the souls of the 4 old ones to open it. Well, I only have the lost Sinner and Old Iron King and I can get to Drangleic castle.

Is this normal? Should I go forward or kill the Rotten and Duke's Dear Freja?
    • 268 posts
    April 25, 2016 2:17 AM EDT
    That door also opens if you have 1 million SM.
    • 275 posts
    April 25, 2016 2:20 AM EDT
    Good, I didn't want to go into the Gutter anyway.

Also, what is the place you're thrown in when you touch the shrine. It looks like a blizzard.
    • 17 posts
    April 25, 2016 6:14 AM EDT
    Soon gonna buy the third installment, currently crawling my way through bloodborne.
    • 558 posts
    April 25, 2016 10:00 AM EDT

He is parryable so he isn't that bad.

• 558 posts
    April 25, 2016 10:00 AM EDT

DLC area

• 275 posts
    April 25, 2016 3:56 PM EDT
    I have 3 questions about the lore. (spoilers ahead)

I know in Dark Souls 1 you get the choice to either burn at the first flame and restore the age of fire or you can walk away and rule the world in the age of dark. What would the age of dark be like, would it be the 'right' way as some believe? I heard a theory that the only reason dark exists is because there is flame, if this is true then would there not even be an age of dark? Would it just be a second age of ancients?

I know the 'fire' ending of DS3 where the Ashen One tries to link the flame but did he actually fail? Was his journey for nothing if he chooses that path? Everyone should know about the school of Pyromancy and those who channel the flame into a destructive force. If the flame was extinguished and the age of dark came along would Pyromancy no longer be usable?
    • 268 posts
    April 25, 2016 5:17 PM EDT
    Just to let you know, I have seen this, I'll give it a think.
    • 273 posts
    April 25, 2016 5:46 PM EDT

Well if you look at Oolacile in the DLC for Dark Souls 1, basically all of it has been swallowed by the Abyss and consumed by darkness... I imagine that is what the age of Dark would be like... 

I think it's implied somewhere that fire will one day appear again and cause another age of fire, and that by linking the fires you actually stop things taking their natural cycle.

• 268 posts
    April 25, 2016 5:58 PM EDT
    Age of Fire just means you're continuing what Gwyn did. You're sacrificing yourself to keep the flame lit and continue the dieties.

Age of Dark essentially means the end of the gods and the time of man, where the chosen undead becomes the Dark Lord. No one knew what it looked like, until DS3 (one area is set in an Age of Dark).

As for the DS3 endings, there's three options. Linking the fire doesn't seem to do much. There's no bright flash like last time, probably indicating that you failed to link it. The Lord of Hollows ending seems like the true one, where you break the cycle.
    • 273 posts
    April 25, 2016 5:59 PM EDT

That one seems the most logical to me.

• 558 posts
    April 26, 2016 11:11 AM EDT

Is it just me or did they nerf katanas in DS3? I have a Chaos Blade at +5 and 40 dex and the damage isn't nearly as crazy as it was in previous games. The swing speed also seems kind of slow.