Your gaming habits

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    October 12, 2015 11:34 PM EDT

So it's all about the balance, huh?

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    October 12, 2015 11:36 PM EDT

Never know when something will burst through the door, be it an acquaintance or a darn burglar disrupting your game session.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    October 12, 2015 11:37 PM EDT

Huh, that's weird. Personally, I can't picture myself playing a game while listening to something completely different.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    October 12, 2015 11:38 PM EDT

At last, someone normal.

• 1217 posts
    October 12, 2015 11:42 PM EDT

XD

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    October 12, 2015 11:42 PM EDT

I knew I wasn't the only one.  

And, sometimes, I also talk to NPCs, though I normally do it mentally. Sometimes, the dialogue choices they give us aren't good enough or don't really fit the character we're playing, so the way I see it, it is completely justified to do some inner (or outer) dialogue with your screen...

• 694 posts
    October 12, 2015 11:51 PM EDT

I'll cop to doing that too, actually. It's almost reflexive sometimes. 

• T
    • 32 posts
    October 13, 2015 5:46 AM EDT

I honestly can't understand how anyone could eat while playing games. :/

Anyway, I don't really mind people watching me, but I do recognise the feeling that you've got to entertain them. It can be annoying but it can also be that little push you need to do your utmost. 
    Also, kinda strange; when shit hits the fan in a game, I tend to lower my face, look over my glasses, and somehow enter this kind of trance where I concentrate on the game to the point where literally nothing can disturb me. It's probably similar to the way most people move their body when playing a challenging racing game. (my little brother once fell off the couch because he took a sharp turn. It was hilarious)

Does anyone recognise this? The gaming trance?

• 71 posts
    October 13, 2015 7:41 PM EDT

I think we're on the same wavelength, you and me. I'm a big sit-in-the-dark-say-nothing-totally-engross-myself-in-rp type of player, whereas, my cousin for example, doesn't have an attention span for anything more complex than Far Cry 3. Even then he wasn't a fan of the 'perk trees'. But if he comes over and watches me play, all of a sudden I'm bunny-hopping around, or moving seamlessly from quest to quest, without sleeping at inns or talking to npcs. I start treating the PC as a simple vehicle of sorts, and not as a character. I never end up saving whenever he comes over, as a result.

• 71 posts
    October 13, 2015 7:45 PM EDT

That sounds like an awesome idea. As soon as I move out, I'm definitely giving this a go. Until then, I won't keep my sister up by talking to the TV at 2am.

• 71 posts
    October 13, 2015 7:53 PM EDT

The only ones that come to mind for me, aside from the obvious everything must be quiet, no distractions, etc are that it has to be night time, and I have to have an open-ended amount of time to play. I can never play a game like Skyrim, that involves serious immersion (for me, anyways) if I know that in say, 3 hours I have to either go to work, or sleep, or anything like that. I think it just keeps me from getting entirely into character, as I'm always at least partially aware of the fact that I'm playing a game, because I have to keep track of the time. And for some weird reason I can never get into an rpg during the day. I'll take a bathroom break, look out the window, and see everyone going about their business. It sort of drags me back into the 'real world' I guess. I like to play at 12am-4am, mostly. The world has gone to sleep, or at least all of my friends/family have, and there's an absence of opportunity cost calculations (ex: I could be out playing hockey with friends right now) that pull me out from total immersion. I pretty much like to be in a Matrix-esque like state when I play this sort of game. Totally in tune with my character, entirely immersed in the world.