Forums » Fallout

Location, Location, Location: A Non-American Set Fallout Game?

• 7 posts
    September 1, 2015 2:39 PM EDT

1950's London was significantly damaged due to the WW2, taking multiple years to rebuild.   In fact, housing was a major problem in London for about a decade after the war due to so much damage sustained to the landscape from the bombings.

By contrast, the US did not receive any damage in the conflict save Pearl Harbor, and also became significantly wealthier due to the Marshall Plan.  The significantly influx of money into the US combined with high taxes on the rich, the implementation of VA loans and the GI Bill, meant that over half the country enjoyed free college and affordable housing.  These factors are what led to the Baby Boomers moving to the suburbs.

I'm not sure how any culture is "suited" to vault living.  Humans don't survive well underground without direct sunlight.  In fact, living in Alaska for three years, the amount of cases of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) recorded was staggering.  London would be no more prepared for Apocalypse living than anyone else.

I didn't make assumptions, I made logical statements because London in the 1950's and the US in the 1950's had radically different landscapes.  It's history, not assumptions. 

You also seem to have misconceptions about English History, the English Empire was the largest on the planet, English influence started long before the Beatles lol.  I'm assuming by this you are referring to the "British Invasion" of new age Pop that happened in the 1960's, not the 1950's.

• 66 posts
    September 1, 2015 2:40 PM EDT

This place

• 1217 posts
    September 1, 2015 2:47 PM EDT
    No, I've been to London on multiple occasions; I lived in Lakenheath for four years. Like I said, the Underground would make a great shelter in a pinch. Repurposing it as a fallout shelter would be more manageable than building new ones, but again, the focus needs to be on the surface or it's going to be Metro: London, not Fallout: London.
    • 29 posts
    September 1, 2015 2:53 PM EDT
    I know I'm biased - but I'd love to see a Scandi style Fallout game. Scandinavia has a rich mythology to draw from for some critters (mutated trolls!) but also the food, geography and architecture is unique. The extended periods of darkness would make the game more perilous for long term adventuring. And have you watched any Scandi drama on TV recently? There's a real strong dark undercurrent that would translate really well into a gaming scenario.
    • 404 posts
    September 1, 2015 2:56 PM EDT

that is true

• 1217 posts
    September 1, 2015 2:56 PM EDT
    I think one way to build a familiar tether into a Fallout game set outside the U.S. Would be to make it an expedition. Either the main character is from this expedition (probably Enclave or BoS), or the main character finds and works for or against them. That could work for bringing pretty much any country into the Fallout canon.
    • 394 posts
    September 1, 2015 2:59 PM EDT

I take it back! There's plenty on the surface too, as I mentioned earlier. London is one of the world's great iconic cities

• 1217 posts
    September 1, 2015 3:05 PM EDT
    And I'd be so down to visit a raider king set up in Buckingham palace, and a survivor militia controlling the Tower Bridge.
    • 394 posts
    September 1, 2015 3:06 PM EDT

Brian, I live there! I think I know about my own country and its history! I lived and worked in London for over 10 years. How about you?

There's no such think as the English Empire. I assume you mean the British Empire.

England is a part of Britain, as are Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. 

Very little cash would be needed to turn the Underground into vaults. A lot of in fact was turned into vaults in WW2: its ready-made. 

Fallout London? Perfect!

• 7 posts
    September 1, 2015 3:14 PM EDT

You lived there in the 1950's?  I doubt it, considering you would be well into your 80's.

I also spent quite a time in London, and rode the tube quite often, studying abroad as part of College.  Have you ever been to the US?  Your tube system and underground is no more robust than the underground transportation systems of DC or New York.

I'm kind of done with this, you're taking it way too personal.  The tube in London is not a vault, nor is the underground systems of any US city.  A vault is a fictional structure for a reason, because creating a truly radioactive proof underground bunker is a lot harder than just converting a subway system.

• 394 posts
    September 1, 2015 3:34 PM EDT

I don't have to have been alive in the 1950s to know about it in the country I live in. Don't be ridiculous.  I said "I live here", not " I lived there". I don't think you're paying attention! C-  

I doubt  you rode the Tube for 10 years. I did. If you know so much about the place you wouldn't get England confused with Britain. :D

As a matter of fact I have lived in the US and visited dozens of other countries. I have an unlimited US visa. I've lived in Atlanta and Chicago and spent time in New York and LA. 

Many other cities have undergrounds but only London has had the Blitz, and already used it for bomb shelters - and yes, turned some of it into vaults. 

Those are Facts. 

I'm not taking anything personalLY, it's just clear that your opinions are based on ignorance, and that combined with dogmatism smacks of prejudice. Sorry, but there you go...

And you're just plain wrong. 

You're right about one thing though: were 'done'.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    September 1, 2015 3:40 PM EDT

I'm one of the guys who thinks Fallout without the U.S wouldn't be Fallout. But if I had to choose I'd pick Brasilia or Rio de Janeiro, both have iconic places which would be cool to see in a post apocalyptic scenario.

Other interesting places would be Paris and London.

• 1483 posts
    September 1, 2015 3:49 PM EDT

Moscow or London

Iconic locations, extensive metro system.

• 29 posts
    September 1, 2015 3:49 PM EDT

There are a wealth of fantastic british movies that showcase how well the UK can adjust to end of days scenarios. There is much more in the way of literature.

28 Days Later, Neverwhere, Children of the Dust! Plus more.

There are secret vaults all over the country for high ranked officials, there are also military installations with Vault like buildings. And as previously stated, the underground, which has huge sections no longer in use. Why not? Secret vaults/experimental facilities etc.

Lots of room for stories.....

• 207 posts
    September 1, 2015 3:53 PM EDT

The courier didn't come from a vault, didn't he?

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    September 1, 2015 4:00 PM EDT

We have the Metro series set in Moscow, I'm not sure what Fallout could do different there to set it apart, since the iconic American culture is ruled out of the equation.

• 1483 posts
    September 1, 2015 4:04 PM EDT

Well, I'm not really familiar with American culture, being from Armenia and all that, so a game set in Moscow or a game set in, say, Boston have no real difference for me in those terms. They can explore the "commie" side of the war, could be fun.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    September 1, 2015 4:19 PM EDT

Indeed, but my point was more on the side of how Fallout could differentiate itself from what Metro has already explored in its games given that the main aspect that sets Fallout apart from other post-apocalyptic games is its culture, and if the game is set in another place not being the U.S it would have to reinvent its identity, and that would be harder when there already is a game series doing kind of the same thing in that location.

• 1483 posts
    September 1, 2015 4:22 PM EDT

I've only played the first Metro game and think it won't be hard to differentiate from it. Different technology, different scope of exploration, different factions - all will be more than enough to not to compare the game to Metro.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    September 1, 2015 4:43 PM EDT

Good points, especially the scope of exploration. Don't think we can freely explore the Kremlin in Metro as we could in a possible Fallout game set in Moscow. We would still be missing the cultural factor, that itself couldn't be that different to what we have in Metro, though I might be missing the point here. (I'm sadly not that familiar with Russian culture).

• 1441 posts
    September 1, 2015 6:19 PM EDT

Perhaps one based on post-Apocalyptic China

• 1441 posts
    September 1, 2015 6:25 PM EDT

Hmm, interesting, maybe the Pope of the Wastes is either a madman, or a fanatic , who sees the ghouls as demons

• 1441 posts
    September 1, 2015 6:26 PM EDT

I'd say Post APocalyptic Ukraine, in a more irradiated version, kind of like STALKER, but more horrifying

• 1441 posts
    September 1, 2015 6:29 PM EDT

Yeah, who knows, maybe the radiation has created literal Aswang, minus being able to fly around as head, and this one large forest in the Philippines has gotten worse, gnarled and whatnot.

• 29 posts
    September 2, 2015 3:38 AM EDT

Small world! 

Living near Mildenhall atm lol!