Forums » Fallout

Location, Location, Location: A Non-American Set Fallout Game?

• 1217 posts
    August 31, 2015 9:09 PM EDT

Well, I think it's entirely likely that people with european accents in the Wasteland are merely remnants of refugees from before the bombs fell.

That would have made more sense and added more to the story than what they went with.

• 694 posts
    August 31, 2015 9:48 PM EDT

This would probably be my pick too. There are other famous landmarks they could use do some potentially cool things with too--Louvre, Notre Dame, Arc De Triomphe... 

• 1441 posts
    August 31, 2015 10:06 PM EDT
    Cause if the Beatles?
    • 1217 posts
    August 31, 2015 10:07 PM EDT

Oooh, Dover could be cool. And the Brandenburg Gate. Oh, I'm imagining the German survivors rebuilding the Berlin Wall to keep out ghouls/mutants.

• 1441 posts
    August 31, 2015 10:08 PM EDT
    The Philippines, somewhere like Manila. Maybe somewhere in Africa, because mutated Honey Badgers. Japan. Or maybe Rome, see what's become of the Vatican. Or Israel.
    • 694 posts
    August 31, 2015 10:15 PM EDT

I love that idea!

• 10 posts
    September 1, 2015 12:33 AM EDT

Yeah I agree with the Philippine setting. There are very few games set in the Philippines and most of them are World War 2 shooters. Would be interesting to see how they portray the country in modern times.

• 649 posts
    September 1, 2015 2:14 AM EDT

Shush. You already have Mad Max in Australia

• 649 posts
    September 1, 2015 2:17 AM EDT

Russia. But it is quite possible they still have nuclear winter there.

I´m not really good with that, but what would happen to Russia´s climate in decades after the Great War? Constant nuclear winter? Syberia turned to desert? Or the climate would go back?

• 641 posts
    September 1, 2015 5:40 AM EDT

Fallout in Russia makes me think of an open world Metro

• 27 posts
    September 1, 2015 6:12 AM EDT

They be Drop Bears

• 627 posts
    September 1, 2015 6:27 AM EDT

Nah Drop Bears already exist as their own thing 

• 641 posts
    September 1, 2015 7:01 AM EDT

Yeah Europe is more than likely wrecked but I don't think that discounts it as a setting for a game. If anything it makes it more appealing imo

• 641 posts
    September 1, 2015 11:57 AM EDT

Well also the fashion and pop art stuff that made that era stand out

• September 1, 2015 12:08 PM EDT

It's an interesting idea...not sure whether it'll ever happen. The aesthetic of the Fallout series is tied very strongly to the 1950's style of Americana and retro-futurism of that era that it's hard to imagine what it'd look like without it. Would it even feel like Fallout? It might be interesting to see a game set in Canada, with a cold winter theme to contrast with the ashen wastelands and barren deserts of previous games.

• 394 posts
    September 1, 2015 12:11 PM EDT
    • 7 posts
    September 1, 2015 12:43 PM EDT

I think the idea of an open-world post-apocalyptic survival game in London sounds fantastic, just not fallout. 

Fallout's main plot driver is the vaults for better or for worse, they enabled tens of thousands of people to survive (including every protagonist so far by the way) and they often serve as critical plot devices for the main quests.  A Fallout world set in another country with no vaults, no vault boy, and no American 1950's influences just wouldn't be a Fallout game.

As far as whoever suggested an open world Metro: Last light.  Yes, make this now please.

As far as the next Fallout game, perhaps it could be a vault located in Alaska or Hawaii?  I think Hawaii would be a really interesting setup.  You could have boat travel between islands (either ferrymen or your own personal boat, or maybe both), with Oahu being mostly sprawling ruins and places like Maui and Kauai being mainly untouched paradises.

• 394 posts
    September 1, 2015 1:48 PM EDT

Why would there be no vaults in London? During the Blitz (WW2 bombing campaign) Londoners sheltered in underground Tube train stations, vaults are a logical progression from that. 

The culture is already there!

Then look at the city's iconic structures: Big Ben, the Tower, Tower Bridge, St Paul's, Trafalgar Square, Leicester Square, the Houses of Parliament, the Lloyds Building, the City's gothic architecture, Regent Street, the West End theatres, Soho, Hyde Park , Regent's Park, Wimbledon's tennis courts, The London Eye, the Gherkin etc etc etc. London is perfect for Fallout!

I've never pre-ordered a game but if Fallout: London was announced I'd be in there like a flash!

• 1217 posts
    September 1, 2015 1:52 PM EDT
    It'd be a question if England *could* build vaults. Granted they would need far fewer, the global economy was in utter ruin. It's a matter of what lengths they'd go to. Build them for free, maybe? One thing they'd have going for them is that there probably wouldn't be a shadowy government body repurposing them for social experiments, so more people would actually survive.
    • 133 posts
    September 1, 2015 1:55 PM EDT

I would love to see the Vatican and the Pope having gone violent purists/fascists, with the Swiss Guard having been turned into an anti-ghoul hit squad, hunting down all of them within a certain radius of  the Vatican, with a Pope who acted like 101's Overseer. You could either take him down, and give the power to a more moderate leader, enhance his rule and set up a Medieval-type kingdom, or destroy it and take power yourself.

• 7 posts
    September 1, 2015 2:09 PM EDT

You say culture, but then you just list a bunch of buildings, buildings aren't exactly culture, just saying.  What I was discussing was the influence of 1950's American Culture, particularly the baby boomer middle class move to the suburbs.  London would have culture of course, it just wouldn't be Fallout.

As far as the tubes being similar to vaults......not really.  The tubes were always designed with open entrances, made for transportation purposes primarily, contain no support elements (water purifiers, living quarters, etc.).  The vaults were designed as full-encompassing living arrangements that would be sealed prior to the bombs.

Also the tubes were used as shelters against conventional bombings during WW2, not Nuclear Fallout, the vaults are designed to withstand Radiation (assuming they weren't designed to fail on purpose).

Using the tubes you could have metro: last light in London, not so much Fallout.

Like I said in my original post, I'm certainly not against a post-apocalyptic game set in a devastated London, it just wouldn't be Fallout.

• 394 posts
    September 1, 2015 2:17 PM EDT

I don't see why not. As I said the infrastructure is already there: the Tube underground network is huge, and would need only a little tinkering to turn into vaults. 

And you have far too much trust in the British government my friend! In a post-apocalyptic world all bets are off! Although they'd probably enslave the population in order to make a better cup of tea. 

• 1217 posts
    September 1, 2015 2:27 PM EDT
    Hahaha! Bringing the tea back would make a great story! The tube could make a vault in a pinch, but then you're really playing Metro instead of Fallout XD
    • 394 posts
    September 1, 2015 2:29 PM EDT

The culture comment referred back to the sheltering in the underground during the Blitz. Sorry I thought that was clear. And it WAS a culture. Communities developed, people got together for communal sing-songs. The legacy of the Blitz lives on even today. 

It wouldn't take much at all to turn tube stations into vaults. Far less than making them from scratch. I don't see the problem here. 

In fact London by its history and infrastructure is already more suited to vault living than any major city on the planet that I can think of, including those of the USA

Why do you assume London didn't have baby-boomer middle class moves to the suburbs? Other countries had a 1950s too y'know. Admittedly English influence worldwide didn't start until the Beatles and the Stones, but before that there was still a rich musical tradition: Vera Lynn, music hall for instance. 

London Fallout? Perfect!

• 394 posts
    September 1, 2015 2:38 PM EDT

I'm assuming you've never been to London? I lived and worked there for over 10 years. The Underground is a ready-made underground city. Probably why it's called 'The Underground'  I guess ;). The vaults are pretty much already there! I'm rubbish at making stuff but I think even I could turn it into vaults   

London Fallout? Perfect