Forums » General Gaming

The industry at work

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    August 30, 2015 1:13 PM EDT

Hey all,

The impending release of many long awaited games and the announcement of many more has made it clear that the industry of video games is bound to have, at the very least, one more busy and successful semester, compensating for the somewhat lacking year of 2014.

With that in mind, many questions come to mind: Will those games live up to expectation? Will they surpass the quality of their sequels? Most importantly, however, is the primal factor which leads us to a certain game or a certain genre. So, I was thinking…

•  What makes a successful marketing campaign? Which game had you even before the release?
    •  Do you think new titles and franchises are easier to attract people or long established ones are more successful?
    •  In a scale of 1 to 10, how much does the name of the developer/publisher counts for you? Why?
    •  Are you looking forward to any particular title, besides Fallout 4? (If you can, share a trailer with us!)
    •  What about Fallout 4, how did it win you? Are you a longtime fan of Fallout or this game will be your first?
  • Mr.
    • 763 posts
    August 30, 2015 1:21 PM EDT

Of course, by long awaited games I wasn’t thinking of AC: Syndicate or CoD. We get one of those every year!

Anyway, I must say that one of the titles that hooked me with a marketing campaign alone was Skyrim itself. I had never played an Elder Scrolls game, but when I saw the trailer, the gameplay and all that stuff, I knew I had found my soul mate… (At least until I found out about Bethesda’s Fallout, though I already knew that franchise. But that’s another story).

I also remember I wasn’t able to get a copy of Skyrim and properly play it for months, perhaps even a year, though I might be exaggerating.  That only built up my hype. When I finally did get the game, I was lucky my grades were all good, which allowed me not to worry that much about school and focus on the important stuff.

Now, there are quite a few games I’m looking forward to, the ones that come to my mind are Total War: Warhammer, Mafia IIIStellaris (You have got to check out this one, imagine the modding possibilities! - Mass Effect, Star Wars, Star Trek...) and Dishonored 2.

As for Mass Effect: Andromeda, I’m a little worried about that one. Mostly because I think there wasn’t enough time between Inquisition and this new entry in the ME franchise. The trailer didn’t hook me up neither, though the music was a nice touch.

• 743 posts
    August 30, 2015 1:23 PM EDT

Don't be talking bad about my AC, bruh.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    August 30, 2015 1:27 PM EDT

Ooh, the good side is that you AC fans have an endless supply of content.

And is it just me, or my reply's font is kind of funny?

• 743 posts
    August 30, 2015 1:31 PM EDT

Yeah, I think you may have accidently changed that reply's font.

• 1217 posts
    August 30, 2015 1:44 PM EDT

What makes a successful marketing campaign? Which game had you even before the release?

Honesty and straightforward discussion with fans. Basically everything Star Wars Battlefront hasn't done.

Do you think new titles and franchises are easier to attract people or long established ones are more successful?

Depends. I'm super tired of seeing new Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty games. Most of what's got me excited have been revitalizations of familiar franchises, but I like seeing new IPs even if they don't necessarily appeal to me. Right now, I'm really tuned into Horizon: Zero Dawn and ReCore and Sea of Thieves, among others, and hoping those games deliver on the truly exciting premises they're aiming for.

In a scale of 1 to 10, how much does the name of the developer/publisher counts for you? Why?

4. The Dev/Publisher in question, and their reputation, will help me determine if I think this is a game worth getting on Day One.

Are you looking forward to any particular title, besides Fallout 4? (If you can, share a trailer with us!)

Not this year. I'm still hoping Battlefront surprises me(cuz I really wanna fly the Slave I in a current gen game). After that, I'll be looking forward to Deus Ex: Mankind DividedMass Effect: Andromeda, and Superhot. And hoping some of our favorite titles hit backwards compatibility(Skyrim, so I can do gameplay vids for my builds!).

What about Fallout 4, how did it win you? Are you a longtime fan of Fallout or this game will be your first?

Fallout 4 was a given for me as soon as it became clear it was going to be announced. Up until now, Fallout New Vegas is probably my single favorite game, and the Fallout universe is so much fun to be in. 

• 1217 posts
    August 30, 2015 1:46 PM EDT

Stellaris looks pretty sweet!

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    August 30, 2015 1:51 PM EDT

Aye, the trailer gave the same feel of mystery and excitement I had when I first played Mass Effect and watched that brief introduction to the game's universe.

• 743 posts
    August 30, 2015 1:57 PM EDT

It's the hype Borom. I know deep down TES is your favorite franchise, not Fallout. Don't cave into the hype, man. Hype is evil.

• 1217 posts
    August 30, 2015 2:03 PM EDT

Heheheh. TES could totally earn that place with TES 6, but Skyrim is the only TES game I've really played, and not enough on its own to be "favorite franchise" material.

• 743 posts
    August 30, 2015 2:07 PM EDT

Skyrim's your only TES game?

GO BUY OBLIVION RIGHT NOW GOOD SIR.

For your convenience: 

http://www.amazon.com/The-Elder-Scrolls-Playstation-sony-playstation3/dp/B000TVT7U4

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    August 30, 2015 2:08 PM EDT

I really hope Battlefront succeeds, EA and DICE have the opportunity to make one of the best shooters and SW game ever. And that trailer you showed us was awesome, the potential of immersion is astounding in the aerial/spacial combat.

I never played Deus Ex, even though I love cyber punk. I have to get into that franchise, but everytime I was about to do so another game showed up and ended up getting on the way.

• 1217 posts
    August 30, 2015 2:12 PM EDT

Oh I've owned Oblivion, and played the first hour or so. I just couldn't stand the way the character's looked. Since playing Skyrim I've gone back and acquainted myself with all the lore from past games, but I couldn't play through Oblivion. If it were remade/remastered, I'd for sure get a special edition.

• 743 posts
    August 30, 2015 2:15 PM EDT

You sure you couldn't retry playing it?

• 1217 posts
    August 30, 2015 2:15 PM EDT

If Battlefront succeeds...what am I saying, when Battlefront succeeds, I expect it will be for A) being Star Wars and B) looking really nice, rather than any groundbreaking gameplay. But it's definitely going to do those two things very well.

If you do end up getting into Deus Ex, don't play Mankind Divided without going through Human Revolution first. The stories will be closely tied (and HR is just a fantastic game).

• 1217 posts
    August 30, 2015 2:16 PM EDT

I've often considered it, but I really don't want to make the time investment when there are so many other games I already know I'm excited about/would rather be playing.

• 649 posts
    August 30, 2015 2:17 PM EDT

Like Skyblivion for example? That´s what I´m really hyped about. Skywind too, but not as much as Skyblivion.

• 743 posts
    August 30, 2015 2:18 PM EDT

Fair enough.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    August 30, 2015 2:33 PM EDT

Will they ever get released? Big projects like these are usually dropped at some point, but I'd love it if they did get to see the light of day.

• 649 posts
    August 30, 2015 2:43 PM EDT

They will be released, I am sure of it. Morroblivion was the same. It took years until they completely finished it and it will be the same with these.

Have you watched some of the videos lately? What I gathered they pretty much have world for both games done, now they´re doing details and other stuff.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    August 30, 2015 3:09 PM EDT

I have watched some videos of Skywind only, still have to see the Skyblivion ones. But from what I understand Skywind is more advanced than Skyblivion, no?

• 649 posts
    August 30, 2015 3:13 PM EDT

Yes, Skywind is way ahead of Skyblivion.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    September 5, 2015 2:40 PM EDT

Guys, check out this new Total War: Warhammer trailer, featuring dwarfs! It is glorious.

• 1217 posts
    September 5, 2015 4:04 PM EDT

Noice!