Forums » Elder Scrolls

Why can´t we play a half-breed character?

• 133 posts
    March 15, 2012 3:15 PM EDT
    We all know man/mer reproduction is possible in TES world, - the breton race is the most obvious proof. The game also allows for a character to take a spouse of a different race. I checked on UESP site, and it suggests even the possibility of viable offspring coming from men or mer mating with argonians or khaijits – there are several possible combinations to suit all tastes - from voluptuous catwomen to bizarre catzards, all is fair game.
    Now, if this kind of scenery seems amusing, exiciting, disturbing, or somewhat obscene, bordering on bestiality, well, that´s not really the point. I just want to know why can´t we play mixed race characters? They are allowed by TES lore; their features may be easily rendered by character module; the adjustments in racial powers and skills demand only minor modifications; the nature of the game would not be distorted, and gamers would have some interesting options for roleplaying. Could it be some strange notion of political correctness, as in the infamous case of the unkillable children? Is there a good reason I just can´t see, or is it just laziness?
    • 952 posts
    March 15, 2012 3:19 PM EDT

I think this has not been done is because there would be about 500 different races or something running around and nobody would know who belong to which race, they would all look alike a bit so this would just be confusing. I like the current races as they are now, however I hope to see some other races being playable in the future as well, like Maomer and Sload.

• 952 posts
    March 15, 2012 3:32 PM EDT

The link doesn't work for me, what is it about?

• 856 posts
    March 15, 2012 3:33 PM EDT

Hybrid characters are a cool idea.  I'm fairly certain, that at least some of the races can interbreed.  Not a bad idea for a mod or part of some future update/DLC.  It is a bit complicated, however.  There are a lot of possible combination for hybrids - that's a lot of racial abilities.  Also both khajiits and argonians have a large variety within their species.  Plus there are more intelligent races on Nirn, than the ten we usually play.

It would be very difficult to add that many new NPC options - Bethesda didn't cover the ten races that well. I think this could be done, however, especially as a Player option  To prevent the character list from getting long, the character creation menu might need a subrace menu or you could select your parents race, and you get weakened versions of their racial abilities (what if your parents were hybrids?  argg). 

If I don't see anything like this in the mods, I may give it a go - I'll probably just add the sub-races to the list in the character creater rather than create a 'parent tab' or separate 'subrace menu'. It wouldn't be difficult to do, but rather time-consuming (especially if you stay true to the lore and game balance).

• 952 posts
    March 15, 2012 4:06 PM EDT

Wow, those are some ugly bastards, I don't wanna see thing like that when I'm playing Skyrim, they're just revolting. If I had to choose between havin s*x with a draugr or and Breton-Kajiit i would choose the draugr.

• 133 posts
    March 15, 2012 5:25 PM EDT

The variety and quantity of NPC's are a real obstacle, one that I had not thought about. The lore though is not really an obstacle.

• 133 posts
    March 15, 2012 5:26 PM EDT

Necrophilya not my cup of tea. Think I'd rather settle for some bestiality.

• 952 posts
    March 15, 2012 6:04 PM EDT
    As long as they can walk around they're not dead to me, bestiallity hower is just wrong, those poor mammoths you abused are all traumatised and now they just walk around aimlessly not knowing what to do.
    • 952 posts
    March 15, 2012 6:22 PM EDT
    *however*