Forums » Fallout

No reliance on VATS in Fallout 4!

• 739 posts
    August 23, 2015 5:03 PM EDT

Firstly lets welcome our newest affiliate Apoqsi to the vault! I've been following his videos for several weeks and really enjoying them!

His most recent video discusses something that was a major downfall in the previous game. To do well in combat the player was very reliant on VATS, especially when dealing with multiple fast moving opponents.

In Fallout 4 there is definitely evidence that VATS is still very powerful but it won't dominate your playstyle as it did previously, a lot of effort has gone into ensuring that running and gunning feels organic and enjoyable and this is great news for Fallout fans...

Be sure to check out some of Apoqsi's other videos and hopefully he'll make an acc here soon (unless he has already and I missed it).

• 1217 posts
    August 23, 2015 7:44 PM EDT

That's great to hear. Now if they sort out 3rd person combat to be manageable, that'd be perfect. I'd love to play mostly in 3rd person.

• 490 posts
    August 23, 2015 7:52 PM EDT
    Cool video, but I have never relied on VATS I guess in the way he means. I am of the crowd that hates VATS. It was Bethesda's way to implement some of the old school turn based combat but the god mode it became was never my style.

Even in FO4 with the slowed time feel I suspect it would be a huge one sided advantage of course.

The only thing I am bummed about (or have been bummed about) is how the Mysterious Stranger is a VATS related perk. I wish oh wish he would show up out of nowhere even when I am just aiming down my sights in real time... Maybe they changed it?
    • 700 posts
    August 24, 2015 11:25 PM EDT

That's good to know.  I get the idea that VATS will be to FO4 what reflexes were in FEAR.  A nice advantage, a panic button, and a cinematic kill creator, but not the majority of combat.  

• 5 posts
    August 25, 2015 9:09 AM EDT

I don't hate VATS, but in certain situations you are pretty much forced to use it which does suck and I do wish they would make the game less dependent on VATS.

• 1913 posts
    August 25, 2015 9:13 AM EDT
    The hell you talking about? I played through the game 4 different times, each a different playstyle, never used VATs (unbound the key for it). Never did I think it felt forced on me. (and by the way, that's twice in FO 3 and twice in NV)
    • 1217 posts
    August 25, 2015 11:17 AM EDT
    Don't act so incensed, Bryn. Not everyone is you.
    • 1913 posts
    August 25, 2015 11:23 AM EDT
    And that is why the world is not a better place :P
    • 1483 posts
    August 25, 2015 11:25 AM EDT

Sneak Arche... sniping FTW 

• 1217 posts
    August 25, 2015 12:07 PM EDT

:P

• 1217 posts
    August 25, 2015 12:08 PM EDT

Kinda sad that they're pretty much the same, except sniping is, if possible, even more deadly. Still, there's also not much reason that they should be different.

• 490 posts
    August 25, 2015 12:42 PM EDT
    It would be amazing if they included NPCs who could sneak and snipe us. That would put a huge element of danger! The whiz of a missed shot goes by your ear and you take cover but have no idea where it came from. That would be intense...
    • 641 posts
    August 25, 2015 12:48 PM EDT

Yes! I've always wanted something like that!

• 1217 posts
    August 25, 2015 12:58 PM EDT

That'd really add some flavor to gameplay. They only tried that once, as far as I know, in FO3, Operation Anchorage, where there was a "sniper alley" of sorts that had four Dragoons in Stealth Armor with sniper rifles. They could wreck you if you were alone, or unawares, but once you knew where they were, they could be picked off almost individually.

• 77 posts
    August 25, 2015 11:05 PM EDT

So I never played Fallout 3. Does it take action points to shoot a gun outside of VATS? Can you, like, run out of shots outside of ammo?

• 490 posts
    August 25, 2015 11:07 PM EDT
    Action points only apply to VATS shooting, so no, you can't run out of shots outside of VATS and you can shoot freely outside of VATS.
    • 1441 posts
    August 26, 2015 3:30 AM EDT
    And Arkansas, to an extent, blowing up cars and whatnot
    • 77 posts
    August 27, 2015 1:15 AM EDT

Thanks, I was confused.