Forums » General Gaming

Qunari: Who or what are the Kossith?

• 1913 posts
    August 23, 2015 4:58 PM EDT

The Qunari, hulking masses of muscle with grey or bronze skin and typically have horns... Followers of the Qun... Formerly the Kossith before the Ashkari Koslun founded the Sun and then a sect fled their homeland to follow in his footsteps.

None know what the Kossith looked like or what they were like, that people has been lost thanks to time. All that is definitively known is that the Qunari don't look like them...

But is that all we know?

No, thanks to evidence from Inquisition and tin foil-y nonsense, I have a theory that I feel is canon.

The Kossith were... Elves!

I know, strange isn't it? But here is my proof:

We know that the Tamasarans control Qunari breeding, choosing who can and with whom. The Ben-Hasrath, according to Iron Bull, believe that the Kossith were mixed with dragons, maybe drinking it like reavers, maybe magic, it depends on the member. We know fron Cassandra that those who become reavers can grow slitted eyes, scales, horns, increased strength and hostility and that after prolonged exposure lose their memories. Sound familiar?

Both the Qunari and Elves have pointed ears, while not exactly definitive proof, it is interesting that they are the only races who do.

The elves also lost their culture, thanks to human being enslaving their ancestors. It is well known that Magisters in the Imperium practice forbidden arts and new types of magic in order to gain an advantage against others in the Magisterium. Using dragon blood in blood rituals on slaves, a constant supply of test tubes, that if they were considered "failures" would just be disposed of? Sounds like a plausible source...

What I believe happened is Ashkari Koslun was an Elven slave who escaped the Imperium and traveled far and wide. His views on the world from his experiences colored how he felt the world should be a place where there are no poor, there are no hungry, there are none who control others without need to... A place with total order and everyone is equal. And thus he created the Qun.

The Kossith that either survived the rituals or then copied them to become better and more suited for tasks than followed to Par Vollen and took the land for their own. It would explain how they seemingly came from nowhere with no source of ever existing... Cause they themselves didn't really exist until after they left.

Is this true? Well, only time (or the devs) will tell if what I'm saying is correct. What do you all think on the theory though?

• 641 posts
    September 12, 2015 11:32 AM EDT

I really like this theory, an elven slave race with dragon blood sounds awesome!

It's such a shame that playing a Qunari in DA:I was so disappointing. Being forced to play a Vashoth, not even a Tal-Vashoth takes away all the really cool and unique things about playing that race. I get they had to do it to make the role of Inquisitor fit but they should have found a way to make it possible to at least roleplay a member of the Qun, or at least a Tal-Vashoth.

• 65 posts
    September 12, 2015 12:17 PM EDT

I thought this was an Elder Scrolls and Fallout blog, how the hell did we start talking about Dragon Age.

• 641 posts
    September 12, 2015 3:33 PM EDT

Did you fail to notice the "General Gaming" tag?

• 1913 posts
    September 12, 2015 3:40 PM EDT
    The same way we got game reviews for the arkham series, halo stuff, witcher, etc.
    • 1913 posts
    September 12, 2015 3:42 PM EDT
    A member of the qun... Working with andrastian forces... Hmm... One of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesn't belong...
    • 641 posts
    September 12, 2015 3:49 PM EDT

Their is any number of ways they could have made it work. Having a Qunari without the Qun is just a human with horns, it's pointless.

• 1913 posts
    September 12, 2015 3:56 PM EDT
    Not really... But if you believe it would, ill let you have that fantasy :P
    • 641 posts
    September 12, 2015 4:01 PM EDT

Iron Bull was part of the Qun and he worked, not sure why it wouldn't have worked for the Inquisitor. The most interesting thing about the Qunari is their alien culture, if you take that way it makes them boring. Its like playing an Orc in Skyrim but not being able to be from a stronghold, or worship Malacath or follow his codes or wear oricalcum armor. In the ends whats the point? 

• 1913 posts
    September 12, 2015 4:10 PM EDT
    He was supposed to spy on the inquisition and specifically pointed out why the qun and inquisition don't work together
    • 641 posts
    September 12, 2015 4:12 PM EDT

Exactly so make it possible for the Inquisitor to be a spy. Or at the very least make it possible for the Inquisitor to be a Tal-Vashoth.

• 1913 posts
    September 12, 2015 4:23 PM EDT
    The problem with a follower of the qun is that he or she would only be allowed their group that came with them to fight, they don't ally with the other nations or bas in general. Those they consider basalit-an are the exception though. They'd be forced to impart the qun's doctrines on others, which would prevent role play as you are forced down one point. Sure you say then allow them to go tal vashoth... But then they'd have to spend so much time altering the story to fit a follower of the Qun and a Tal Vashoth and non followers... Any way you slice it, it's too much work for what would be contrived and makes little sense in the grand sense of things...

Why are we discussing this? This is for theory on the kossith/qunari.
    • 47 posts
    October 1, 2015 3:47 AM EDT

DA Origins had a codex somewhere or a discussion with Sten, if my memory serve me, where they say that qunari had to fled from their homeland because some undescribed beings keep slaughtering them. Not mass genocide, but something they were ill equiped to defeat, for some reason. I had, then, the impression there are at least 2 types of ``qunari``, but got entangled in other games and forgot to check.