Forums » General Gaming

Perfection doesn't bring happiness...

• 2 posts
    August 14, 2015 4:03 AM EDT

Perfection doesn't bring happiness, i say this because...this is what i learn playing rpg games.
    One night i enter in Diablo 2, always there are peoples online, but most of the time they do not play.
    They just talk, is like a chat but your avatar is a small animated warrior who could have very powerful items.
    And indeed most of them have chars at level 99 maxim with best armors and weapons, many have modded/cheat items, no chance to win against them.
    And beside talking they do some duels from time to time, or they just attack you if you wander in their server and if you say something disturbing for them in chat window...

Ok so in connection with the world Skyrim where i live for few hours every week , i was thinking after building i relay forget the number, my next char.
    Why i have so many characters? Well...around level 50-60 my chars become powerful and the universe lose the danger and the mister and i restart the cycle and build another one.

What if we could have in our reality perfection, been powerful mind and body and immortal, could be boring? Could we wish to die and been reborn and start the cycle of auto discover and grow like human being again? And again after few hundred years?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hope this time i post this in right space??!!! sorry i em new, the rules of posting are not very clear for me... where and what you can

• 288 posts
    August 14, 2015 4:27 AM EDT

It all depends.

If you're a perfectionist, then perfection does bring happiness.

• 130 posts
    August 14, 2015 4:42 AM EDT

Not for very long. Perfectionists have to perfect things over and over again.

• 394 posts
    August 14, 2015 8:45 AM EDT

You should read Michael Moorcock's The Dancers at the End of Time trilogy; it addresses that very question. In a nutshell they're bored and very indulgent. 

Good question!

• 394 posts
    August 14, 2015 8:53 AM EDT

To answer your question, I think being able to do anything you like would eventually get very borng, and I would long again for the joy of discovery. But it would take a long time and it would be a helluva ride getting there!

• 41 posts
    August 14, 2015 9:52 AM EDT

What about Gandalf ? He was 9000 years old before he left on his journey at the end of LOTR with Frodo and the rest of the elves.

• 394 posts
    August 14, 2015 10:03 AM EDT

Was he? Are you sure? 

I was speaking personally

• 558 posts
    August 15, 2015 3:38 AM EDT

Perfection in real life would be terrible. If everything is "good", then there will be no "bad". If there is no "bad", then there is nothing to compare "good" to. Which would result in the world turning into Limbo.

Which would be very bad :P

• 394 posts
    August 15, 2015 4:51 AM EDT

Exactly what happened in those books! They have no concept of morality at all. Spot on mate I reckon!

• 394 posts
    August 15, 2015 5:03 AM EDT

It would be fantastic for a very long time. But if everyone could do what they want? I wouldn't want to live in that world. 

For an individual being 'like as a god' would be bloody incredible but I think after a few centuries would start to get samey and - eventually - boring. It be bloody amazing getting there though!

Sorry to bang on but those books are a brilliant illustration

• 1595 posts
    August 15, 2015 5:14 AM EDT

That first point is why I don't like multiplayer. It works great when you play with a bunch of friends but when you wander into a game on your own it can be an exercise in frustration.

As for real life immortality and perfection, I think I'd suffer that thing Armand does in Interview with a Vampire, feeling so out of touch with the modern age. After a few hundred years wasted and a few more soaking up as much as I could, I wonder if my will to live would dissolve?

• 394 posts
    August 15, 2015 5:18 AM EDT

I don't think I made it clear: I think this is 1 of the best posts I've seen here Constantine. You've taken a common occurrence in gaming, applied it to real life and asked a really profound question. Bravo!

• 394 posts
    August 15, 2015 5:22 AM EDT

Sometimes the temptation is more than I can bear

https://youtu.be/xKWYLtJLW5o

• 1595 posts
    August 15, 2015 5:23 AM EDT

I hear you. Multiplayer in every game and facebook statuses is something I'll never understand. It's like a collective craving for validation and the need to inform everybody of everybody's current activity. It puzzles the crap out of me.

Ironically I thought I'd share that insight into my mind

• 394 posts
    August 15, 2015 5:26 AM EDT

Yes that would be very different. Total hedonism?!

• 394 posts
    August 15, 2015 5:32 AM EDT

You should post a photo of your leftovers. Lolz

• 394 posts
    • 394 posts
    August 15, 2015 9:25 AM EDT

*facepalm*

• 558 posts
    August 15, 2015 2:24 PM EDT

What books?

• 394 posts
    August 15, 2015 2:32 PM EDT

The ones in my earlier reply

• 41 posts
    August 18, 2015 5:27 PM EDT

Yes, it gets explained in the special edition versions of the LOTR books, lots of lore on virtually every race, including the wizards, Saruman is even older than Gandalf but it was never explained how much older he is

• 394 posts
    August 18, 2015 5:29 PM EDT

Huh. Didn't know that, thanks

• 2 posts
    September 1, 2015 9:13 PM EDT
    To Idesto a'Shinbira thank you.