Forums » The Lounge

What ya'll readin?

• 700 posts
    August 3, 2015 11:13 PM EDT

I imagine that the wealth of writers here means there's also a wealth of readers.  Readers of books that is.  I'll count strategy guides.  Okay, this is what I used to think about books:

"If it can't be summarized in a 1000 word article, then it's not worth reading."  

Oh how wrong I was.  I won't levy my terribly stale story on you about how I changed my mind about that, but the short version is that I was a pompous dipshit who thought he knew it all (AKA Psychology Major Syndrome).  Despite understanding the value of books, my relationship with them is best described by a seemingly random flurry of flings and sometimes regrettable one night stands where one hour is enough to know that I want nothing to do with it, but I'm left to live with the lamenting memory of it all.  

So what books are you reading and how well do you consistently finish books?  

• 627 posts
    August 3, 2015 11:24 PM EDT

I'm currently reading Abhorsen by Garth Nix, it's taken me a while to pick up this book since I keep getting distracted by other books I have sitting in my room. 

As for finishing books, unless the book is truly painful to read (I got given one years ago that seems like it was written by a five year old, either the editor was blind or they just didn't proofread the damn thing) then my curiosity will drive me to finish each book I start.

• 700 posts
    August 3, 2015 11:39 PM EDT

A fantasy book, got it.  I had to look it up since I didn't know it.  Props for sticking with a sequel that long - I quit sequels after the fourth Harry Potter.  I prefer one-offs.  Double props for finishing books.  Do you read any other genres? 

• 13 posts
    August 3, 2015 11:41 PM EDT

Right now I'm reading "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss, and it is by and large one of my favorite books that I have ever read.

As to how consistently I finish books. If it's a painfully bad book, it will take me a long time. However, I always finish a book. No matter how long it takes.

This is also going to be a really good discussion  page to get ideas of what other books I should read. So thanks for making this discussion, Legion.

• Tim
    • 92 posts
    August 3, 2015 11:41 PM EDT

I'm going to be reading 1776 as part of my damn "summer homework" for English, so I'm hoping it's at least slightly decent. Also, I'm going to be reading Tales of the Dying Earth by Jack Vance, which I've heard are pretty good books. I started Chesapeake a few days ago, but I got kinda depressed after reading maybe 25% of it and left it at my cabin up north. Maybe it gets less depressing after that, I dunno. I generally prefer less thought provoking books and more actiony stuff, like Clive Cussler or Louis L'Amour.

It's not often I don't finish a book, I can't really remember the last one. Of course, I reread many books a lot.

• 627 posts
    August 3, 2015 11:45 PM EDT

I read The Name of the Wind not that long ago, and I agree it is definitely a good book 

• 700 posts
    August 3, 2015 11:47 PM EDT

Hmmm, looks like a good book.  I feel the same about having too many books on queue as I do having too many video games on queue.  I'll read (play) one for a few hours then get too curious about the other one and jump to that instead.  So I'll write it down but not pick it up until I finish my other books. 

Glad I could inadvertently help.  

• 627 posts
    August 3, 2015 11:48 PM EDT

Now that I think about it most books I've read are fantasy, with some science fiction and other genres thrown in every now and then.

• 113 posts
    August 3, 2015 11:55 PM EDT

I stopped reading books awhile ago. Last book I read was A Dance With Dragons. 

I'm still awaiting Winds of Winter. 

I wouldn't recommend those books by the way. 

• 700 posts
    August 3, 2015 11:57 PM EDT

History can be interesting if it's written in an interesting way.  I think that goes without saying, but the textbook writers seem to disagree.  I don't know who Chesapeake is (unless your phone completely ramshackled Shakespeare), but I'd ask that you link some of his/her works.  

• 700 posts
    August 3, 2015 11:59 PM EDT

No worries, I have a policy about not reading books that exceed 600 pages.  Thank you, Atlas Shrugged. 

• Tim
    • 92 posts
    August 4, 2015 12:07 AM EDT

Chesapeake is a book by James Mischener about the history (in a fictiony sorta way) of Chesapeake bay. He's written several other books like that, about Texas, Poland, and other countries. Here's the Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_A._Michener

• August 4, 2015 12:31 AM EDT
    Currently listening to a full cast audiobook of American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I'm new to the whole audiobook thing but I think I can get used to it. One problem I see is listening to an audiobook with only one voice and losing track of the dialogue and stuff like that.

But yeah, I can finish books pretty consistently (though I am easily distracted and can take awhile). But if I lose interest, I tend not to power through like some people.

I'm also reading small bits of the Mongoliad, which is an alternate history where the Mongols are just destroying everything in their path (I mean more than they did in real life).

Also I got a laugh out of 'Psychology Major Syndrome.'
    • 127 posts
    August 4, 2015 6:08 AM EDT

Me too.  I had the same thing, but at A level - even worse.

I keep meaning to read more.  Got a Terry Pratchett binge lined up for when I finish the Hero trilogy, a set of Harry Potter fanfictions.  On the 78th Chapter, Roughly 800,000 words in and 150,000 left.  And I'm promising myself I'll finish it.  I have too many half-read books lying around.

• 411 posts
    August 4, 2015 6:55 AM EDT
    i have been rereading the infernal city lately.
    • 641 posts
    August 4, 2015 6:57 AM EDT

Twilight?

• 394 posts
    August 4, 2015 6:58 AM EDT

Terry Pratchett: Thief of Time. 

I'm taking GoT with me on holiday

• 649 posts
    August 4, 2015 7:00 AM EDT

• 394 posts
    August 4, 2015 7:18 AM EDT

The Bible, right?

• 113 posts
    August 4, 2015 7:39 AM EDT

That's odd. My grandparents never read any other books either. They say it's the only book anyone should read. 

I also hear people claim that's just a book to enslave the masses. But you know, it's the things you hear eh? 

• August 4, 2015 8:01 AM EDT
    Regardless of one's spiritual beliefs, it does have some cool stories.
  • August 4, 2015 8:01 AM EDT
    I've been trying to read Ceasars Comentarii. Hasn't gone so well.
    • 394 posts
    August 4, 2015 8:06 AM EDT

I've read it several times. Long time ago though

• 113 posts
    August 4, 2015 8:14 AM EDT

Is that like a strategist book like Sun Tzu's The Art of War? 

• 113 posts
    August 4, 2015 8:15 AM EDT

What is GoT?