Forums » General Gaming

Official Witcher Discussion Thread

• 700 posts
    December 7, 2015 7:54 PM EST

A topic worthy of discussion that you should totally post. Hint. Hinthint. 

• 1595 posts
    December 7, 2015 9:51 PM EST

It's a topic which has raised its grim head before but I don't think it has ever had it's own discussion. I've got a fair amount to say so it might take some time for it to be posted. Of course, if someone gets their first and posts it while it is still relevant then that would be even better, hinthint

• 1441 posts
    December 7, 2015 9:57 PM EST

Hmm....tempting Phil

• 700 posts
    December 7, 2015 9:58 PM EST

Dibs.

• 1595 posts
    December 7, 2015 10:19 PM EST

Totally agree with DB here. I remember seeing this thread back along and getting inspiration from the archetypes for a Witcher 2 play through.

Those archetypes are easily extrapolated into W3 even if you haven't played the first game.

• 1595 posts
    December 9, 2015 3:36 AM EST

Blood and Wine dlc screenshots. Get some hype.

• 1467 posts
    December 9, 2015 3:40 AM EST

And here I am still waiting to get Hearts of Stone...I'm way too pumped for this DLC, and those are some freaking amazing screenshots, the whole world just seems, I dunno more vibrant then a fair chunk of the original game, really stunning shots 

• 1595 posts
    December 9, 2015 3:45 AM EST

Can't that be said of all RPG's? Oblivion and Skyrim are mostly about the journey rather than the destination, while Mass Effect or the first two Dragon Age games with their more linear approach are all about the friends you make along the way.

DA:I and W3 are possibly for the first time ever examples of RGS which are about both the journey and the friends you make.

Also, consider past winners the various Game of the Year awards out there. Fallout and Skyrim have won their fair share and nobody can honestly say their main stories were superior and be taken seriously.

• 1595 posts
    December 9, 2015 3:57 AM EST

It looks sumptuous doesn't it? I wonder if the vampire thing will be the focus as speculated? Also, as far as I understand it they can travel during the day and ones like Regis only seem to be at full power during a full moon. Do you think those interpretations of vampires will translate into gameplay?

• 649 posts
    December 9, 2015 4:16 AM EST

Regis was kinda special, wasn´t he? Higher vampire or something. But higher Higher vampire, because the game considers Bruxa and Katakan Higher Vampires, with Ekimmara, Fleder and Garkain being Lower (why not Lesser?) vampires.

As the lore states, Higher Vampires of Regis´ sort are extremely rare. Extremely and they are almost unkillable. Regis himself said that at one time he was decapitated, pierced his heart with wooden stakes, doused him in holy water and buried him. It took him 50 years to regenerate.

Though I remember you encounter Higher Vampire in Novigrad (that one who likes drunks). It didn´t really feel like he was Regis level though.

• 74 posts
    December 9, 2015 4:21 AM EST

Just picked up the first game. And my impression so far is just... wow, the dialogue is awful. I know it's translated and was fairly low-budget, but someone please, please tell me it gets better in the second and third games?

Is it worth slogging through the first one?

• 649 posts
    December 9, 2015 4:30 AM EST

Wait for it...

• 649 posts
    December 9, 2015 4:31 AM EST

But seriously, Witcher 1 was really great game at it´s time so I can understand that now it might seem...not that good. But don´t worry. Witcher 2 is huge leap forward, and Wild Hunt...even better.

• 1595 posts
    December 9, 2015 5:33 AM EST

True and I recall Geralt himself unwilling to fight him and unsure he would even win should it come to that. Yet it would be a shame if we don't meet one, no? I know Geralt doesn't like to fight anything resembling sentient unless he has to.

• 1595 posts
    December 9, 2015 5:39 AM EST

Well I haven't played it and am unlikely to, restricting my fandom to numbers 2 and 3 plus the books/promotional material, but I understand there is a "cringe curve" you need to get past before you can enjoy it. I have watched a few hours worth of let's plays but it's Super Bunnyhop's Replaying The Witchers series which provided me with the best insight into the first game, although you'd want to avoid that due to spoilers I guess.

For anyone else with time to spare and like to watch youtube videos while they drink coffee, I highly rate Bunnyhop's series as a thoughtful documentary on the games.

• 649 posts
    December 9, 2015 5:52 AM EST

Well, there are two reasons Geralt didn´t want to fight him. First: Because Higher Vampires are extremely dangerous and lethal, odds weren´t really in his favour. Second: Higher Vampire don´t need to drink blood. They are not leeches as other vampires. Blood is something like alcohol to them (which makes the Higher Vampire in Wild Hunt a not-Higher Vampire).

And Regis stopped "drinking" because his vampire girlfriend broke up with him because of his "drinking problems"

• 1595 posts
    December 9, 2015 5:58 AM EST

I loved that part of the tale  Real vampire angst long before Twilight!

Karves, you really have a good memory for your Witcher lore. I remember these things only because I just read them and will no doubt forget in a month or two. I'd love to see some Witcher lore articles from you.

In our own Lore Group it was once mentioned by Mason how he'd like to see a Bestiary added. Maybe that idea would work better for The Witcher series?

• 649 posts
    December 9, 2015 6:02 AM EST

Witcher 1 was really great in one thing the other games weren´t that much. Witcher 1 dealt a lot with moral dilemmas, choices and the consequences of your choices. Also, it dealt with the racism in Witcher world a lot, the purpose of Witchers themselves among other things.

I would still place Witcher 1 moral dilemmas above the other games. The story as whole was awesome, I would say that the plot was much more interesting than 2 and 3 (which were awesome too, but more...I don´t know...badass?) Story of 2 was about the Assassins of Kings which serves as an introduction to Emhyr´s invasion in Wild Hunt. And Wild Hunt story dealt with story of the books.

What I want to say is that each Witcher game has interesting and meaningful stories weaving into each other.

• 1595 posts
    December 10, 2015 2:30 PM EST
    The Deep Dialogue Overhaul Mod:

• 1441 posts
    December 10, 2015 2:31 PM EST

LoL

• 649 posts
    December 10, 2015 2:52 PM EST

To be honest, Phil, not everything is from memory. I remember some fragments, yes, but I have to dig to remind myself the full context. So...Wiki. Yeah. 

• 641 posts
    June 28, 2016 9:55 AM EDT

I love these

• 1913 posts
    June 28, 2016 11:27 AM EDT
    Those are amazing!
    • 1441 posts
    June 28, 2016 11:33 AM EDT

I kind of wanna see a Witcher  Noir AU fic now

• 641 posts
    June 28, 2016 11:45 AM EDT

I would totally read\play\watch a WItcher Occult Noir story.