Forums » The Lounge

Similarities between Morgoth(from The Silmarillion) and Daedra:

• 18 posts
    July 28, 2015 1:08 AM EDT

For those who are unfamiliar with Morgoth, a brief account: Melkor was the most powerful and smartest of the Valar, the most powerful of the first beings crated by Eru Illùvatar. So that makes him the second most powerful being in existence. Eru made music to which the Valar and Maiar(another class of being that are basically demigods) sang, creating the universe. But, Melkor mad eh is own music, which clashed with the first music. This is what first created evil. After a series of complicated events, Melkor changed his name to Morgoth and made several creatures. The Orcs, he made by corrupting Elves he captured. The Trolls he made of stone. Depending on who you ask, he made them because he hated everything the other Valar had made, or that he did it in mockery of the Elves and another race called Ents. And the most terrible of all, he made the deadliest of monsters, the dragons. He also turned many Maiar to his side, the spirits of fire and shaodow, the Balrogs, and another Maia who you probably know of. Sauron. After an entire age of the world of fighting, he was finally imprisoned in The Void (an endless nothingness that was what came before the universe.).

I can immediately see parts of him in Molag Bal(domination) Mehrunes Dagon(revolution), and Malacath(Morgoth still has some of his honor. Also they both have a thing for Orcs.).

What do you see in Morgoth that reminds you of Daedric Princes?

• 295 posts
    July 28, 2015 5:56 AM EDT

I see Namira with Morgoth's use of Ungoliant to destroy the two trees. :) Namira is the Prince of decay and Morgoth uses spiders and decay to corrupt the lands under his influence. Also with regard to how the Orcs eat the flesh of others, which is similar to the cannibalism associated with Namira. 

Hehe, you said Silmarillion and it was like a homing beacon. LOL

AND, you have Obiwan Kanobi on your avatar. 

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    July 28, 2015 10:42 AM EDT

If it isn't overwhelmingly obvious Tolkien was a Catholic, Morgoth is Satan and Eru is God.

Eru made music to which the Valar and Maiar(another class of being that are basically demigods) sang, creating the universe. But, Melkor mad eh is own music, which clashed with the first music. This is what first created evil.

Everything that exists was created according to Eru's will. There is no free will.

Melkor wanted to create his own music, but Eru threw a hissy fit. He did it again. Eru threw another tantrum. He does it a third time, and Eru shames him in front of all the others by reminding him who's in charge and they have no hope of rebelling against him.

Tolkien's idea of evil is any rebellion against God's Will.

After a series of complicated events, Melkor changed his name to Morgoth and made several creatures.

Melkor didn't do this. Feanor first named him the Black Enemy (translated to Morgoth).

Melkor is Satan, Lucifer, Prometheus, and every other deity who dared rebel against the other god(s). Their sin was refusing to submit and wanting to create of their own. Melkor was driven to madness from this inescapable existence and to his dying breath rebuked everything Eru said or did, and wished nothing more than to destroy this great vision that Eru had created.

Melkor is Lorkhan. The rebelling spirit. The spirit who hates what reality is and wishes to unmake it so something different can be rebuilt. Something better.

• 18 posts
    July 28, 2015 12:55 PM EDT

I know it's Ol' Ben.

Morgoth inspired fear; maybe Vaermina?

• 295 posts
    July 28, 2015 2:04 PM EDT

Ol' Ben is awesome, still one of my favorites. 

Yes, I see Vaermina too, especially with how he manipulates. I also see Lorkhan. Perhaps Lorkhan is the most complete assessment as Tom says, but I can see others as well. 

• 18 posts
    August 6, 2015 3:56 PM EDT

Dude. Your argument makes zero sense for one important reason. TOLKIEN HATED ALLEGORY IN ALL FORMS AND ALSO MORGOTH DID NOT DIE, HE WAS IMPRISONED IN THE VOID AND TOLKIEN DREW ON MANY MYTHOLOGIES NOT JUST CHRISTIANITY ALSO IF YOU KNEW ANYTHING ABOUT MY RELIGION YOU WOULD KNOW THAT FREE WILL IS ONE ITS MOST IMPORTANT ASPECTS!

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    August 6, 2015 6:16 PM EDT

I can't tell if you're yelling, being funny, or overemphasizing.

• 18 posts
    August 7, 2015 4:27 PM EDT

A and C