Forums » The Lounge

Favorite Video Games

• 558 posts
    July 16, 2015 2:21 AM EDT

What are your favorite video games? I have played many video games, from Modern Warfare 2, to Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor. Right now I mostly play RPGs and fighting games, but I used to be a big FPS guy.

I'll kick things off with my top 5 video games of all time (in no particular order).

The Demon of Song is a boss in Dark Souls II .

• Dark Souls 2: Overall the most fun I have ever had in a video game. If you are a RPG fan, then I would for sure pick this up. It has a good soundtrack, good combat, etc., etc. The PvP is what hooked me the most, though. Santier's Spear FTW
    • Transistor: Transistor is a true masterpiece. It has everything you could want in a game: Fantastic soundtrack, innovative combat, great lore and an impressive story (you have to go searching for the story, like Dark Souls). It is sold at a a bargain price of $15, to boot.
    • Black Ops: The best FPS I have ever played. Every gun felt badass. Every map was perfect. It also had an amazing story with memorable characters. Who can forget Victor Resnov or Woods? And of course, Nazi Zombies, probably the main selling point of Black Ops. Nazi Zombies was crazy fun, with all of the strange characters and the just game in general.
    • Skyrim: I don't think I need to explain to you guys why I like Skyrim. It is an amazing open-world game with lots of roleplay opportunities and huge replay value.
    • Paper Mario (N64): It is the best Mario game ever. I feel really, really bad for you if you haven't played Paper Mario. It is just a great experience all around and probably the best game Nintendo has ever made.

Artworks Super Paper Mario

Well, that was a list of my top 5 VG's ever. Do you agree with my list? What is your list? Please comment below, as I would really like to see your favorite video games.

• 558 posts
    July 16, 2015 2:32 AM EDT

Yeah MW2 sucked. I'm glad I started on Black Ops, otherwise I'd be in the same boat as you, Ben C.

• 288 posts
    July 16, 2015 2:52 AM EDT

There was a thread like that some time ago, but I guess my original response is lost with Overhate 1.0

My favourite games all come from the 90's. They are a lot, so I'll just mention some of them:

Quest for Glory: One of the best game series (5 games total) from Sierra, a perfect mix between point&click adventure and RPG; intersting stories with great characters and lots of puns. Quest for Glory 3 and 4 are probably the games to which I've felt the most connected with the world on an emotional level.

Betrayal at Krondor: A classic award winning RPG, based on the works of Raymond E. Feist

Star Control 2: The first great space saga with unique gameplay, and lots of star systems to discover and explore.

Star Wars:TIE Fighter: The best space combat sim of the 90's

Doom 2: Need I say more

The more recent titles I enjoyed were: Skyrim, Mass Effect and Two Worlds 2.

• 122 posts
    July 16, 2015 3:00 AM EDT

Transistor is that one by Supergiant Games, right? I should get around to getting that. Like you, I don't have a definitive favorite game, but there are numerous candidates. Here's my top 5 (in no particular order):

• Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare: This game. It was one of the first true video games I've ever played and is always close to my heart. The story, characters, gameplay, all struck clear to me. Indeed though, Black Ops was a close contender.
    • Bastion: Do not get me started on Bastion. The entire game was just a masterpiece in my eyes, no one can deny.
    • Skyrim: The ultimate time-waster, if you stuck me in a room with life support and Skyrim, who knows how long I'd remain in that room. 
    • Team Fortress 2: A game I will never tire of sucking at. I'd daresay this is the most 'fun' game out there, especially when you git gud at it.
    • Warcraft 3: An RTS transcending time, it was my introduction to the Warcraft verse and I absolutely love it.
    • 558 posts
    July 16, 2015 3:07 AM EDT

The only one I've heard of was Doom 2.

• 743 posts
    July 16, 2015 3:08 AM EDT

Black Ops 1: Best out of the series

Skyrim: Obvious reasons

Age of Empires 2: Best strategy game of all time

Diablo 2: First RPG

Diablo 3: Even better than D2

Assassin's Creed: Favorite franchise to date

• 558 posts
    July 16, 2015 3:09 AM EDT

Yep, Transistor was made by Supergiant Games. Opposite of you, I haven't played Bastion.

Never played COD4, although I have heard great things about it. Black Ops was my first FPS, not including Perfect Dark on the N64.

• 558 posts
    July 16, 2015 3:11 AM EDT

Never heard of Dragon Warrior, Zaxxon, or Ladybug.

• 558 posts
    July 16, 2015 3:13 AM EDT

Never played Age of Empires or Diablo.

For some reason I could never get into Assassins Creed, yet I enjoyed Shadow of Mordor.

• 113 posts
    July 16, 2015 3:20 AM EDT

One Title: "Hexen"

• 558 posts
    July 16, 2015 3:20 AM EDT

Interesting, thanks. Btw that music scared the shit out of me

• 743 posts
    July 16, 2015 3:21 AM EDT

I'd highly recommend you give them a try, they're both fantastic games. Also that reminds me, Shadow of Mordor is another huge favorite of mine.

• 743 posts
    July 16, 2015 3:24 AM EDT

Here's some gameplay of Age of Empires 2: www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPNaWwKbElA

• 411 posts
    Every Elder scrolls game ever The legend of zelda majoras mask and fallout 3.
    • 288 posts

Hexen multiplayer was lots of fun back in the day, especially with the 3 part collectable superweapons

• 558 posts
    July 16, 2015 3:43 AM EDT

I never really enjoyed Zelda games

• 134 posts
    July 16, 2015 5:28 AM EDT

Halo: Reach was the overlord of video games (alongside Skyrim, of course), and it's the only game where I didn't want to skip any level or any cutscene. The death scenes hit you right in the feels. 

Plus, the custom games were the most fun I've ever had. Tetris, Fat Kid and Hot Pursuit were the best. And the infection/invasion modes!

• 627 posts
    July 16, 2015 5:44 AM EDT

Dark souls: Not the 2nd one but the first one, it may just be my nostalgia goggles but you wont be able to convince me that Dark Souls 2 was better. All those shortcuts made exploring worthwhile and the difficulty of the combat was enjoyable it made defeating a strong opponent fell like you'd actually accomplished something.

Final Fantasy 12: My first game in the series, and probably one of the ones I enjoyed the most, I've always been annoyed by games that take you to another area to fight an enemy that you couldn't see prior to running into it, so the fact that "the world is now your battlefield" as the back of my copy says, was really enjoyable for me.

TES: no explanation needed

Fire Emblem Awakening: I've replayed this one enough for it to be on this list and I liked it enough that having to wait until next year to get the next one is really frustrating

And probably another dozen or so that I can't recall at the moment

• 131 posts
    July 16, 2015 5:46 AM EDT

Gotta go for Kingdom Hearts II. Or Final Fantasy VII.

• 394 posts
    July 16, 2015 5:49 AM EDT

I've always been into more 'cerebral' games rather than fast-paced action ones, although that's changed over the years. I go way back, to the time when 'Personal Computers' were a novelty and mostly used for spreadsheets & writing, & when anyone into gaming had an Atari or an Amiga in their bedroom & only talked about it in whispers with like-minded geeks for fear of never being able to talk to girls. I'm talking pre-cellphones, pre-Internet! The Dark Ages.

I - I think rightly - consider myself part of a generation who were pioneers in gaming. When it was niche & before it became popular & hit the mainstream. 'Carrier Command' anyone? I still remember how much I used to love that: you got to fly around, and shoot stuff, and there was strategy too: amazing! Also the first 'Dune' game.

God, I remember 'Pong'!

So the game most likely to make me feel all warm ad fuzzy is probably my first major CRPG: 'Ultima V'. VI  & especially the 2 VIIs were also great: precursors of Skyrim I think. The Ultima series is the reason why I graduated from an Atari ST to a DOS PC: horrible things that they were! Also the 2 Ultima: Underworlds. Also The Bard's Tale: basically a text adventure RPG with pictures.

Fallout (1). The only 1 in the series I've played through; I planned to replay it but never got around to it, that's (mostly) why I didn't play no. 2, although I've got it - in a box somewhere. I've recently started Fallout 3 & I love it.

I love the LucasArts adventure games: The Monkey Island series, Grim Fandango and the like. Also Blade Runner, Beneath a Steel Sky, The Dig, Full Throttle.

Civilization 2, The Sims 2

I still have a fondness for Rise of the Triad! My 1st FPS.

Realms of the Haunting: an early hybrid shooter/ adventure / survival horror game. Years ahead of its time.

Dungeon Keeper. Still haven't finished that last level!

Championship Manager 3 (Football ('soccer') management sim)

Half-Life

Then I bought a Wii: Wii Sports, Guitar Hero; also Metroid Prime 3, although I found it hard. I like playing Mario Kart now with my kids

MMORPGs: Lord of the Rings Online (LotRO), Guild Wars 2

And now I have an XBox: GTA San Andreas, Minecraft

My all-time favourite game? Skyrim: but you knew that, right?

• 1467 posts
    July 16, 2015 6:28 AM EDT

I always start this kind of thing with the same game:

Neverwinter Nights is my all time favorite games, it has a system based off of my favorite D&D edition (3rd) and makes it's own changes to make it so much better. It has a pretty interesting storyline that's still one of my favorites to play and has some damn good characters. Not to mention it has more Character Building options then Skyrim, Morrowind and Oblivion combined, without touching on equipment.

Age of Empires is my favorite strategy game, more specifically Age of Empires 2. It has some pretty interesting Campaigns and honestly the gameplay is just awseome. The online is pretty crappy (in regards to it never working) but from my limited experience it also has a pretty decent community). Above all the ability to create massive armies is just way to fun and it's much easier to play then Total War or something (which is much more difficult to start off playing)

Those two are still in my top favorites, and both of them are pretty damn old now (Age of Empires got a remake and I'm still hoping for a Neverwinter Nights remake) so now I'll just list my others.

Skyrim, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Dying Light, Dragon Age (Origins and Inquisition), Oblivion, Morrowind, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic (1 and 2), Star Wars Battlefront, Assassins Creed (2, Brotherhood, Revelations and Black Flag), Mario (any), CoD (Sometimes I like mindless games), Sacred (1 and 2), Saints Row (3 and 4, but I can't stand GTA for some reason...), The Last of Us, Dishonored...

Yep it's pretty much it. I probably missed a few but I'm really bad at just picking a few games I love. 

• 394 posts
    July 16, 2015 6:33 AM EDT

Oh yeah: Witcher 2: how could I forget that?

• 627 posts
    July 16, 2015 7:06 AM EDT

How the hell could I have forgotten Dragon Age Origins, I feel ashamed with myself 

• 1467 posts
    July 16, 2015 7:24 AM EDT
    You should :P
    • 77 posts
    July 16, 2015 7:30 AM EDT
    I too remember computer games before every home had a PC or a console. In order of newest to oldest, I would say the following

Skyrim (PS3)
    Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (PC)
    Discword II (PS)
    Sid Meier's Civilization - though we only had the demo (Atari STE)
    Dragon's Breath - hatching dragons, need I say more... (Atari STE)