Forums » The Lounge

What's your greatest weakness?

• 485 posts
    July 1, 2015 3:31 PM EDT
    I remember a job interview a long long time ago where I was asked this difficult question. It's a a rather tricky question for anyone to answer. We're so used to hidding our weaknesses and putting our best foot forward at all times.

But relax, you're among friends. So let's share a little of ourselves. I'll even go first. If I had to point out my greatest weakness it would perhaps be that leadership does not come naturally to me. A pretty odd weakness for a sergeant in the U.S. Army to have, but hey youd be surprised.

So now it's your turn. What's your greatest weakness?
    • 1483 posts
    July 1, 2015 3:48 PM EDT

It's actually one of the standard interview questions. The best answer is to mention a weakness that is also a strength and describe the steps you took to combat it. For example, you can say that your weakness is always wanting to satisfy the client yourself, and wasting time because of it when you could've passed it to someone more knowledgeable and save time for both yourself and the client. Then say that over the years of working in a team you learned to overcome that inner desire and trust your team members more 

But if we're being completely honest here, my weakness is reluctance to change and unpreparedness to sudden changes. Much like Altmer, come to think of it 

• 485 posts
    July 1, 2015 4:00 PM EDT
    Its an odd question to ask a 17 year old applying for a job at McDonald's don't you think?
    • 1483 posts
    July 1, 2015 4:05 PM EDT

Nah. The goal of the question is to see how self aware you are and whether you are willing to work to overcome your weaknesses. There is another question that I think is absolutely dumb - Where do you see yourself after 5 years? Interviewers are fond of that for some reason -_-

Though some interviews are impossible to prepare to :)

• July 1, 2015 4:07 PM EDT

Wow, Now that is a revelation, perhaps you have misjudged your self, or is it that others see you differently surely you would have to have demonstrated exemplary leadership for you promotion to Sergeant, sorry to answer a question with a question, Do you think then that leadership can be taught? personally I do not think so, anyway I digress, I am disabled now after an horrific accident at work that almost claimed my life, my biggest weakness is not being  unable to fully come to terms with what  happened to me, I was educated to degree level now, I struggle to write a simple paragraph, my brain just does not work as fast as it used to, Dont get me wrong though I don't believe in self pity  nor would I indulge in such ridiculousness. Great Question

• 485 posts
    July 1, 2015 4:15 PM EDT
    Heh. Let's just say I wasn't very self aware at 17. Now if we're talking stupid interview questions, the dumbest one I've heard is what animal are you?
    • 268 posts
    July 1, 2015 4:23 PM EDT
    Just had a flashback to recent College interview...

Vaz is right, this seems to be the standard interview question. I don't think I've ever had one without it. I have also, surprisingly, been asked which fruit or vegetable suited me most. That was a new one.

Anyway, back to the question. I struggle working in a team as I just innately assume that people aren't as good at doing something as me. Arrogant I know, but I feel it on an almost primal level. I've learned to overcome it (or at least suppress it), and I often find that people surprise me when they come out with something far better than I could have come up with. It's not like I'm outwardly bothered when someone takes up a task which I assume I can do better, I just sort of inwardly sigh to myself and think that they're not going to do as good a job. I also suppose I take leadership too quickly (as in when out with a group of people I'll just take charge and start dishing out jobs) though that may not be a weakness in some circumstances.

I've always wanted to say kryptonite, though I feel that may not give a very good impression in an interview.
    • 268 posts
    July 1, 2015 4:26 PM EDT
    Oh my god that question is just a pain... You can literally say anything and just waffle off some half-arsed explanation...
    • 367 posts
    July 1, 2015 5:11 PM EDT

My ability to say no.

It sounds kinda stupid but it can lead to lots of difficulties. I work in the security industry hence my motivation to look beyond the here and now. Someone mentions something and I immediately look at the long term problems and possibilities. That's the nature of my job, if  can nip something in the bud before it grows too big then I do it. The problem with not being able to say no means I can get given multiple tasks to complete in one night where it would be better to spread them out. Hence I can find myself frequently under pressure due to not being able to say 'No, give it to someone else'.

If I say no then I feel I'm letting the person down and myself. It's only when it's around 01:00 in the morning when I kick myself just to do the same thing the next day.

• 168 posts
    July 1, 2015 5:16 PM EDT

My great weakness? I'm perfectionist to the core. To me there is no shades of gray, it's either black or white. I try to go easy on myself but it's a difficult fight.

• July 1, 2015 5:22 PM EDT

Bullets. Particularly when fired from a gun. Those tend to a real number on me.

I guess my actual weakness is probably a lack of motivation. But it also makes me kind of fluid. I'm easy to work with.

• 149 posts
    July 1, 2015 5:23 PM EDT

I share this problem with you, Sotek. Wholeheartedly.

• 149 posts
    July 1, 2015 5:26 PM EDT

I am far too trusting and passive. People are able to walk all over me because I always give them the benefit of the doubt. This leads to me being taken advantage of in a number of situations. I would be able to avoid this problem if I stood up more for myself, but I hate conflict of any kind and would rather simply take a hit or walk away.

• 1467 posts
    July 1, 2015 6:40 PM EDT
    Kryptonite...

No, bad joke (I could be Superman you don't know). Alright my greatest weakness is a bit specific but I cannot talk to ANYONE about anything important. This goes from planning an outing (asking a couple of friends is nearly impossible for me) all the way up to asking any authority figure for help. I can't talk to Teachers, Doctors, Cops (luckily I don't have much experiance with this) he'll even my parents can be near impossible to talk to.

So as you can guess at times this can be really fucking shit for a High School/College student, being unable to even request aid on an assignment or something is horrible.
    • 627 posts
    July 1, 2015 6:46 PM EDT

Probably talking about myself...

• 558 posts
    July 1, 2015 10:53 PM EDT

I would probably get banned if I told you.

• 100 posts
    July 1, 2015 11:16 PM EDT
    My favorite answer thus far xD
    • 743 posts
    July 1, 2015 11:52 PM EDT

Come on Gollum, your with friends here.

• 485 posts
    July 1, 2015 11:59 PM EDT

I promise you we wont exploit your weakness to destroy you at the most inopportune moment. 

• 485 posts
    July 2, 2015 12:01 AM EDT

I think leadership is something that has to be taught, and really the only good teacher is experience. Some pick it up more than others, and certain personality traits certainly make leading easier. 

• 24 posts
    July 2, 2015 12:30 AM EDT

I promise nothing!

• 700 posts
    July 2, 2015 12:39 AM EDT

My indecisiveness and my resistance to change.  Constant problems.

• 457 posts
    July 2, 2015 2:17 AM EDT
    Complacency.

I'm usually pretty satisfied where I am, so I miss out on opportunities to make things better... been a thorn in my side for as long as I can remember xD
    • 622 posts
    July 2, 2015 2:22 AM EDT

I'm too nice. I give people second chances way too often (and third and forth and fifth) and expect them to change.

• 558 posts
    July 2, 2015 2:28 AM EDT

You'll get over it