Forums » General Gaming

The Witcher 3

• 1913 posts
    June 22, 2015 8:07 PM EDT

Everything that is wrong with Triss is in the books... And since that story is canon...

I kind of want to spoil what it is since it's hard to get a translated copy of the story... But I don't know...

• June 22, 2015 8:30 PM EDT

The games are also canon. They're a different canon altogether though.

And I'd rather you not spoil it (but if you do, just put up a spoiler alert).

• 1913 posts
    June 22, 2015 8:32 PM EDT

Just know... Triss is a bitch and would sell you out for personal gain... Beyond that I'm not explaining

• 1467 posts
    July 3, 2015 2:31 AM EDT
    I haven't finished it, he'll I just hit out of White Orchad (that's the name of the first area right) I have to admit the combat, movement and crafting have all been really fun. I love that they didn't make everything easy to find, silver especially has been fairly difficult to get,

I haven't played the original two games, I'll admit I've never really given them a go bug I think they've done an excellent job of making sure you don't really need to play the, to undersatnd enough of the story.

All in all this game looks like it's going to give me months of fun. It's a really good game.
    • 52 posts
    July 3, 2015 9:47 PM EDT

One of my best friends introduced me to the Witcher series. If I were to get involved with it, it would be for the weapons, spells and to sightsee the world it takes place in. He said it is similar to TES in alot of ways. The only turn off though for me is, there are several parts in the game that are abit too gritty for my taste. It still does look enjoyable.

• 558 posts
    January 1, 2016 8:55 PM EST

I wish I could like this game. The lore is decent. The characters, voice acting, and storytelling are amazing. But the combat is terrible.

Against one enemy, sure, it's fun. But against four or five? It just gets tedious and frustrating. I have to spam Quen or whatever it's called because I'm guaranteed to get hit. Dodging is slow and I don't think it has i-frames, making the "quick-step" dodge useless. Healing items barely heal. Am I doing something wrong that I don't know about? I'm not that far at all in the game, I'm only level seven and I just finished the Family Matters quest, but the combat has been pushing me away since.

Honestly if you just went around and talked to people, the game would be much more fun.

• 1467 posts
    January 1, 2016 9:44 PM EST

It's all about learning enemy combat styles, planning ahead and also inventory management.

By finding the Swallow Potion (Increased Health Regen) early on, fights will be a lot easier to survive, the healing boost is pretty great, especially with different upgrades. White Rafford's Decoction is also great for healing (it's a straight up healing potion), but I don't think it's as easy to find. Food and Drinks are alright between battles but just don't cut it when you get in one.

Quen is ridiculously useful, I played one character that basically only used it for defense later on and it was actually Overpowered as all hell. The Exploding Shield and Active Shield upgrades make it ridiculously powerful so for some extra survivability I'd pick them up.

Studying enemies is extremely important. Check out their entries to figure out their weaknesses and try and utilize them. A lot of early monsters are weak to Igni (Such as Drowners) and pretty much every enemy has a weakness to a bomb that you could use.

Bombs are just the greatest...Seriously dude, try and use them when possibly (especially against Humans) because it makes fights so mcuh easier. Humans are especially easy with bombs because they generally aren't as strong as monsters and group together a lot. 

Dodging is best with Light Armour and I always found the full roll more useful (roll backwards to dodge, strike 2 or 3 times with a light attack, roll back and repeat). Blocking is good agianst Humans but mostly useless against Monsters.

The main rule is to never let yourself get surrounded, and take on one enemy at a time (Unless your using AoE attacks). I found that taking them out one at a time while dodging the rest is easiest. That and just generally weakening them all before they got close. 

• 708 posts
    January 1, 2016 9:47 PM EST

I found the combat to be one of the strongest points actually. It does take a lot of getting used to but it's definitely about being patient, good positioning, and timing your attacks and dodges. The quick dodge is useful since it's faster than normal walking and doesn't interrupt stamina regeneration like the roll dodge or sprinting. It's mostly good for moving just to the side when say a Ghoul or Drowner is lunging at you.

And remember if you're having trouble to try using potions and bombs. I'm not going to bother writing a big guide here but once you get used to the combat I think you'll start to enjoy it a lot more.

• 1441 posts
    January 1, 2016 10:00 PM EST

Kind of like with Dark Souls/Bloodborne, its best to learn your opponent, and time your attacks, blocks, and dodges. 

• 50 posts
    January 2, 2016 12:52 PM EST

I bought TW3 a while back and started on it but I feel it's too big and I won't be able to spend the time on it to fully appreciate and enjoy the game. I felt like this with Skyrim initially but once I took the plunge I enjoyed it and it's been one of the best game purchases I've made in a long time.

TW3 is just massive compared to Skyrim. I really must make an effort and pay it more attention maybe when I get a new PC as it needs high end hardware to shine.

• 558 posts
    January 18, 2016 7:03 PM EST

I've gotten a bit farther in the game now, just finished the main questline in Skellige. I think I can make a fair judgement this time. Here is a comment I made earlier today on gamefaqs:

"The game went downhill since the Bloody Baron. The combat and controls are wonky at best, and there really is no character development, except from said Baron (and maybe Dandelion). The graphics are amazing for such a big game. The quests have become tedious and repetitive, and it's starting to become a chore playing this."

Am I wrong here? I think I have gotten a grip on combat, but it is still annoyingly slow. I don't even like the dialogue option feature as much anymore because the characters aren't interesting...

Thank the gods I figured out how to play Gwent, though, that game is fun as heck.

I so wanted to be proven wrong about this game being overhyped. At this point I give it a 6-7/10, for the sexy open world and art design if nothing else. I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but this game was hyped up way too much. All of that said, I still plan to finish it, and I might even go back to play the Witcher 2.

• 1441 posts
    January 18, 2016 7:22 PM EST
    I like the characters, granted, I've read info the books, which has several stories in it, including the critical Last Wish
    • 558 posts
    January 18, 2016 7:26 PM EST

Witcher 3 is the first time I've been exposed to Witcher anything. Most of the characters aren't very likeable for me, especially Triss and Yen. It seemed like everything I said seemed to piss off Triss, and Yen is rather boring.

• 12 posts
    January 24, 2016 10:59 PM EST
    I very recently started playing it, and might I just say, I absolutely love it! Every feature of the game is extremely intriguing as well thought out. I enjoy the length immensely! The way the game implements every feature upon you is perfection, and everything seems absolutely necessary, while at the same time, capable of being completely ignored. The crafting system is flawless, uncomplicated and easy to comprehend. The way you can prepare for a contract is interesting and often the longest procedure, yet absolutely satisfying.

One thing that concerns me, not abou the game, but the people playing it.. I am seeing a lot of "The game is too long" posts, blogs and discussions all over the Internet. I can't comprehend how a game can be too long? I don't get it. A world that is so immersive, so structured and yet entirely unpredictable is apparently boring people? I feel so in tune with the game world when I play, I feel the deep bond of friendship between Geralt and his trust steed, Roach. I feel the desperation in the populace as they struggle to survive in the war ravaged land. I even felt fear, while making my way through a narrow, twisting trail with nothing but dense forestry, and hearing the blood curdling screams of someone within the darkness of that forest. Obliged to help, racing through the trees and finding nothing to kill, nobody to save.. Only the question of "who was screaming?". A lingering thought of was I too late? Or was it something else? Who in their right mind, could become tired of such adventures? A game that, yes, drops you into the thick of things pretty quickly, but delivers the most diverse game world I have ever experienced?

These thoughts escape me entirely.. I have never enjoyed a game so much, even its small quirks and acceptable, yet occasional, bugs can't deter me from this fantastic game. It has set the most incredible bench mark for RPGs, one that I feel, only Betheada can match. However, I fear that feedback from said people may deprive the RPG genre of games like this. If this happens, I will be most disappointed in my fellow gamers.
    • 649 posts
    January 25, 2016 6:20 AM EST

Precisely, how can anyone say that the game is too long? The longer the better!

• 12 posts
    January 25, 2016 6:51 AM EST
    Couldn't agree more Karver!

Especially a game of this magnitude and depth.. It's like they would of preferred if Skyrim was released with no factions, no side quests and never had DLC. Or mods for that matter.. Just straight up storyline, play it and never play it again. I just really can't wrap my head around it. Hahaha. Games like this are what make the RPG genre what it is, CDPR have created an absolute masterpiece. And it'll take me over 500 hours to fully experience everything the game has to offer. If not longer. And that is perfectly fine by me! :D
    • 649 posts
    January 25, 2016 7:18 AM EST

Witcher 3 is really long game and I have enjoyed the story right from the start to end. Only problem with Witcher 3 is that as you´ll get more levels, game slowly becomes easier and easier. There were very few encounters in the late game that made me sweat, even on Death March. The DLC was of course much much more harder.

• 1467 posts
    January 25, 2016 7:24 AM EST

Most disappointing final boss the first time I played it, I don't think I really took damage from him  But until then, the game was pretty difficult, and a lot of fun for me. And to be fair, I was on normal difficulty so it's supposed to be easy-ish 

Personally, I don't see it being any shorter, I put at least a solid 100 hours into my first playthrough (Which was, finish just about every quest I could in the early regions and then blitz through Skellige (I REFUSE TO SEARCH THE SPELLING DAMN IT) which I regret because I think it was the most interesting location.

I'm hoping to come back to the Witcher now that I have Hearts of Stone, but I'm going to wait until Blood and Wine before I give it a real playthrough again.

• 12 posts
    January 25, 2016 9:33 AM EST
    You see, the funny thing for me is, I'm not even close to finishing the game. I haven't been to Skillige or whatever the hell it is called. I'm still running through White Orchid and Velen.. Hahaha. And yet Ie put about 25-30 hours into it. But I like to explore every detail of the map, check out every quest I can find, and by God have I been hunting down Gwent cards.. Haha! I've barely scratched Te surface of this game, and it never seems to get boring. I also like to take my time, listen to all the conversations between The White Wolf and the people of the world. Even listening to the general populace can be quite entertaining, and quite sad at times. This game blows me away, every inch of detail put into the game is quite amazing in my opinion. :)
    • 52 posts
    January 25, 2016 3:07 PM EST

Your enthuasim Trouty touches me. As I feel the exact same thing about Skyrim. You can never get tired of it and there is ALWAYS something to do or learn. I hope you're future campaigns in the Witcher are as memorable and powerful as your opinions expressed on here forever to come. It teaches us a whole lot. Cheers!

• 12 posts
    January 26, 2016 1:02 AM EST
    Thank you kind sir! Games like this inspire me tremendously! Skyrim was and is, one my favourite games of all time. Even after investing over 4000 hours into since its release, it can still hold my interest for a 6+ hour session.

I have the upmost respect for game developers that can produce something of this caliber. And I dare say I will get just as much enjoyment out of The Witcher, as I have my good friend Skyrim. :)