Forums » General Gaming

Skyrim on PC: Is it really better?

• March 4, 2012 1:03 PM EST

Ever since November, i have gamed skyrim on my trusty PS3, and same with Oblivion. But now, as a wealth of mods pop up online and I hear how great they are, I'm wonderiing if I should have (or should now) buy skyrim for pc to mod. Modding seems like it can be hilarioous, helpful, and can make improvements to the game. Plus, some of my friends and my cousins claim the graphics rock and there is no lag. Are these claims true? Is modding totally awesome (and not take a computer software degree to accomplish)? Tell me in the replies below. My future in playing RPGs depends upon it! 

• 132 posts
    March 4, 2012 1:10 PM EST

Several of these kind of threads have appeared before. The gist: If you can afford to upgrade/buy a great computer, mods and updated graphics are completely worth it. If not, don't. BTW, lag is only on the PS3, buy an Xbox :P

• 2 posts
    March 4, 2012 1:25 PM EST

I have it on PC through Steam (an online console that you can use to buy and download alot of games that are on PS3 and 360. If you get it through Steam, you can download mods directly through it. It's called the "Steam Workshop." It's a full catalog of most (almost all) the mods that have been released for the game. You just browse for mods; you can sort by category or search for specific mods as well. Then, when you find one you like, you just click the subscribe button and it automatically downloads the mod next time you open up the launcher. It also keeps any subscribed mods up to date, uploading any patches to them whenever they're released

In the way of speed, I have a decent computer in the way of processing speed and all that stuff. I run it on medium graphics, i believe, and have the render distance for characters and items and all that at about halfway. These lowered settings do not take away from the experience at all and the graphics are still great, even on medium setting. It lags every so often, but these instances are few and far between (maybe a few seconds of lag a week. literally.) Loading times are decent. Sometimes it takes just a second or two to load a scene (often just the inside of a house or something), but it can also take ten or fifteen seconds to load larger scenes (major cities and Skyrim  as a whole), but these times are not constant. Even these larger scenes can load in just a few seconds sometimes. The longest load times are when you're just starting the game and loading up your save file. These can take up to thirty seconds sometimes.

I have never played it on PS3 or 360, so I don't know how this compares to those, but this is my experience. Hope it helps.