Forums » Elder Scrolls

What's Your Favorite Created Character In Skyrim? (Player-Made)

• 125 posts
    May 11, 2015 10:46 AM EDT

Inspired by Boro's "Character Graveyard" entry, I've decided to reach out to the community with another fun little "get to know everyone" post; specifically, I'm curious as to which created character of yours is particularly special to you. And why, exactly? What is it about the character that stands out to you? Is it his/her story? Personality? Abilities? Or is he/she simply fun to play as and/or write about?

For me, over the past few years that character has been Marudil (pictured above): the vicious Apache-inspired wood elf of the south. To date I'm not sure what it is about this character that appeals so much to me; is it how he takes the traditional image of the fancy, nature-loving elf of the forest and turns it on its head? His parallels with real-world Native American warriors that terrorized European colonists? The tragic depth of both his origin and his present-day disillusionment with both his peoples' traditions as well as his native faith? I think it's a combination of these factors, as well as just how fascinating he is as a person; he is a warrior out for blood, with his Enemy's name on his tongue... but he has let this passionate hatred consume him, to the point where he is no longer the honorable soul that he once was. Nothing else exists to him; not compassion, not love, not friendship, nothing matters except for his longing to kill his Enemy.

But even if he does, it won't truly satisfy him; he will still feel the gnawing anger that's driven him for over 200 years, and will seek out other means of unleashing that rage until he's able to come to grips with himself. I think that's the most appealing thing about him to me; despite being an elf, Marudil is the most human of my Elder Scrolls lineup. He's a deeply flawed individual who's just as likely to play the role of a villain as he is to be a hero, depending on who's getting between him and his quest for vengeance. And though he might seem a witless savage for it, as it turns out, the reasoning behind his journey is both tragic and understandable (see his profile), and once again puts this larger-than-life warrior of the wilds on a very human level that anyone can sympathize with.

I relate a great deal to Marudil; I understand why he feels the way he does about his Enemy, his people, his native culture and religion, and the world around him. In his life, nothing good ever truly lasts and nobody is to be trusted; he must rely on himself alone in his grand quest for retribution, and must also face the consequences on his own. In part, I think he obsesses over violence and revenge because, of all the things he's experienced in life, violence and revenge have been the only true constants. They have become familiar to him, and so he's come to find a strange sense of comfort in them; it's what he knows about life, and so it's what he chooses to live for. Will he overcome his personal demons? Will he one day leave behind his bloodlust and seek a more meaningful existence? Only time will tell for this mighty warrior... and I'll be following his journey every step of the way.

• 700 posts
    May 11, 2015 3:03 PM EDT

This guy, because he feels real.  He's not a hero by any definition the game might give.  Just a guy with a vision.  

• 125 posts
    May 11, 2015 5:18 PM EDT

I've read through the profile and left my feedback on your work. Well done!

• 367 posts
    May 11, 2015 5:33 PM EDT

For me it's got to be Sotek. He's my main character when I play Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind and from today Arena. He's been with me from the start.

He's also the main Character in my story Union Of The Wolf.

One of the main things I like about him is he isn't overly powerful. The only thing he really excels in is restoration. A bit strange for a werewolf but there you are. He has his reasons...

He is however highly skilled in Alchemy, Smithing and Enchanting.

• 125 posts
    May 11, 2015 5:38 PM EDT

Very creative.  It's always cool when characters take established archetypes and find new things to do with them. Also, an Argonian werewolf is something I don't think we see a whole lot of on the site; more often than not, it's the humanoid races that are made to be lycanthropes. Keep it up! 

• 133 posts
    May 11, 2015 6:52 PM EDT
    For me it's my bosmer stealth/warrior/archer guy. He uses stealth and keen senses to plan all his attacks and while he may not have the complete strength of a Nord or Orc he makes up for it with speed and an impressive array of poisens and potions.

If he's not turning you into a human pin cushion with his arrows then he is hacking away with his duel axes. From a gameplay aspect it is probably my most exciting playthrough because you constantly have to adapt. Your poisens will be useless on undead so you have to CHANGE, maybe make use of potions and shouts you havnt used before.

From a role play aspect, I found him very relatable. He's lost. He has no true beliefs. He shuns the divines, the green pact and as a result has never found a place to call home. One day he finds himself walking. And walking...

He doesn't know where he's going. He forages, he hunts but with no true... Vigor. He glides through his environments the same way a man may slumber through a field of corn. Simply brushing past it, barely touching it. Completely zoned out...

He acts as though in a dream, nothing is of real concern. Not the beasts, the bandits. Until he finds himself on the border between cyrodiil and Skyrim. He had been a child of the wilderness for years, camping and hunting as he moved through tamriel with no purpose, but what he finds out about himself in Skyrim and with the return of the dragons he has one now.

From an outcast never fitting in, to a wanderer never slowing down, to the hero of Skyrim: the Dragonborn.

I found this character relatable because I myself never fitted in, I was always lost in my beliefs and I walked through life in a distant state. Sure I had friends, I had fun but something never settled. One day I may find out what it is, what I need in the same way my bosmer stealth/warrior/archer Dragonborn did.
    • 125 posts
    May 11, 2015 8:23 PM EDT

Very deep. I can tell you've put a lot of time and effort into this character. 

• 64 posts
    May 11, 2015 8:27 PM EDT

If I had to pick, it would be Alendil, an Altmeri Arch-Mage who simply lusts for power. And yet, he refuses to use this said power against his lessers, the weak and the pitiful. Instead, he uses his power to destroy the strong, and damn the ones who would do the same to said lessers. So it comes as no surprise that Akatosh would make him Dragonborn, "whose power rivals the sun".

He is like a dragon in every sense of the concept of domination in that he wishes nothing more than to gain enough power to rival Daedric Princes and the gods themselves. However, unlike most dragons, who would enslave humanity instinctively, Alendil does not do the same to mortals because he was once a weakling like them. His family was abusive, he was sickly and pretty much slated for extermination by the Thalmor.

Eventually, he discovered his aptitude in the arcane arts after surviving what would be a normally fatal accident (prior to this, he couldn't use magic at all) and grew skilled at it. When his parents crossed a line, he murdered them all. The fear in their eyes as they died almost gave Alendil a sensation of ecstasy.

After that, he scoured the world, searching for magicks to empower and bolster the strength he did not physically possess. When he realized the true extent of his power as Dragonborn, instead of being like the dragons of yore, he turned away from the potential to conquer Tamriel and crown himself the successor of Tiber Septim, which is exactly why he chose to kill Miraak for abusing that same power.

This is why he is my favorite character, because he represents a Dragonborn's place in the philosophy of the Dovah. He does not conquer and destroy like dragons because he is a mortal and understands weakness, yet he lusts after the power to do so because he possesses a dragon's soul, and uses that said power to slay those who impinge their power upon others like a Dragonborn. 

• 125 posts
    May 11, 2015 8:32 PM EDT

I love how closely you've connected him with the mindset and ideals of the Dovah!  You've obviously done your homework on the lore. Excellent work!

• 622 posts
    May 11, 2015 8:33 PM EDT

Tae-Rai, of course!  But of course, all my LRP characters hold a special place in my heart <3

• 411 posts
    May 11, 2015 8:36 PM EDT

Sedrys Gordor he was my favorite Morrowind character now hes my favorite Skyrim character 

• 125 posts
    May 11, 2015 8:36 PM EDT

LRP... I have yet to give that a shot. Can you tell me a little bit about how live RPing works here on the Blog? 

• 125 posts
    May 11, 2015 8:41 PM EDT

Well now, that's quite a legacy! 

• 622 posts
    May 11, 2015 8:48 PM EDT

Quite simple! We have a google doc with all the relative information and we RP in a fictional city called Archfall. We use chat boxes in oages to simulate the locations. Come into Gen chat and join us!

• 93 posts
    May 11, 2015 8:54 PM EDT

That profile has actually inspired my current run of a treasure-hunting Argonian. Yours was a great piece of work, wonderful to read, and I am really enjoying my very loosely related run. 

• 125 posts
    May 11, 2015 8:56 PM EDT

Sounds awesome.  I'd love to!

• 93 posts
    May 11, 2015 9:00 PM EDT

I'm quite torn between Einarr Iron-Oak and Alcarien Laure. Links to their profiles are on my page. 

Two different playstyles, but not dissimilar characters. Einarr is a Nord warrior, serving the Lady Mara. He's on the older side, and is a lycanthrope who has long-struggled to overcome the feral nature of the beast, now able to control himself while in the wolf's skin. He travels Skyrim, aiding the common folk, fighting off bandits, and preaching Mara's love. Just a good-souled man, hoping to share the teachings that helped him turn his life around years ago.

Alcarien is an Altmer born into the political intrigue of his Thalmor family. Despite his disinterest in all of that, his younger brothers still saw him as a threat to their inheritance, and he was nearly assassinated. Alcarien fled the embassy in Cyrodil and found himself in Skyrim, a place he had often read of. He had always admired the tales of honor and valour. Even though he was rather studious and really quite dainty, he still appreciated the burly Nords' culture. Of course, the reality of Skyrim proved harsher, particularly for a High Elf like him, but he found his place there, carving out a nice piece of land for himself. My first pure-mage, he was not only a very immersive RP run but a wonderful change of pace so far as play-style went. 

• 13 posts
    May 11, 2015 10:05 PM EDT

For a while it was my Imperial criminal mastermind Antonius. Then Aubin, the nord hunter, came along and shoved him out of the way. Aubin is a hunter and tracker of not just beasts but men as well. After all, there is no hunting like the hunting of man. He works as Siddgeir's hunter/seeker. Someone wrongs the Jarl or Falkreath, and Aubin's leash gets let loose along with his hounds. He is a hunter in the purest sense and I guess that is why I like him. He's a one-trick pony, but he does it so well. There is no good or evil, right or wrong to him, just the hunt. Gold is well and good as a method of paying him, but a proper quarry is a much better reward for him and his hounds.

• 125 posts
    May 11, 2015 11:36 PM EDT

Both of their premises are engaging.  I especially think Einarr is unique; strikes me as an "old and grizzled but humble and wise" type of character.

• 125 posts
    May 11, 2015 11:39 PM EDT

Gotta love neutral characters.  Particularly anti-heroes. They're so much fun to read and write about!

• 201 posts
    May 12, 2015 12:38 AM EDT
    My Wood elf named Theron. His life was terrible, so terrible that I had to stop playing him at level ten because of a bar fight in where he just lost control and killed everyone in that inn. The character was very, very fun to play. But I couldn't because it was too emotional. Now you guys might think " How could a character become too emotional to play? It's not even real", but just listen to his story.

Theron grew up in a small village in The land of he Bosmer, Havig being the Chiefs son. One day, The chief sent Theron out to find a lost patrol, and Theron didn't find that patrol, so after five hours of searching, Theron came back, and everything was burned... His home, his friends homes, his family, his crush, Kyera. His mother told him earlier that day that he should cherish life. But he didn't know that this would happen. He had taken everything for granted, the food, the hospitality, the family and friends, all for mischief. It was there, in his home, where Theron stayed for a month, barely eating, Barely walking or anything, he would cherish memories for hours at a time. Theron was close to losing his mind. Until The Knights found him. The Knights of Highrock, The Order Of Roses. It was with this order hat Theron found purpose, meaning in life. Every now and then he would sneak a couple bottles of ale to ease the painful memories of his clan. The day that they were coming into Skyrim, His order Abandoned him, There on the side of the road, Bloodied, Beaten and Scarred. The Bretons never liked him, they saw him as a weak, impure soul that was too far gone. Well, Then the whole Stormcloak and Imperial thing happened, but Theron didn't care. Theron didn't do anything, But drink. So he continued his holy knighthood, until one day. It was the Bee and barb. He had had 3 cliff racers, Two Black-briar meads, and one Argonian ale he found in Solitude. He started laughing and carrying on with Marcurio about how his life sucked, and how he thought that roses talked to him (he was drunk). And then it him him. Literally, hit him. A mace, to be in fact. A mace with the sign of the Rose. Theron Lost it, swinging punches every where, Throwing his dagger, and Slicing furiously at the people not caring who he hit, he had enough, these people laughing and carrying on, how dare they have happiness, how dare they Deserve it, HE deserved it more! By the time he was finished, he could barely see out of his eyes, blood all over him. Blood all over everything. And that was the breaking point. He went insane.

I could not go any further than that with that character, it was just too much. Well sorry for that long story. I hope yall liked it. But y, even though it was a short lived character, he was fun to play with at the time.
    • 64 posts
    May 12, 2015 12:56 AM EDT

A character that is so... disturbed that it made you stop playing it? That's probably the most immersive backstory I've ever seen and one that somewhat intrigues (but also terrifies) me.

• 51 posts
    May 12, 2015 10:14 AM EDT

Well...my favorite character so far is Nevoth Castore a Breton male.He is a semi assassin/semi mage/semi warrior type of character.I used 2 saves and 2 playstyles in playing this character.The first one is the assassin/mage kind of build where i utilize miraak's staff in slaying foes added with the mehrunes'razor and weakness to poison ointment he becomes a beast in the battlefield.The other one is a tanky mage kind of character.Using a one handed conjured blade added with expert restoration and some alteration flesh spells he can  become a  support-ish character for companions.

Roleplay wise....between the life-span of the build, I made a somewhat good or evil choices in my playthrough.If he wants to become a bad guy he must join the dark brotherhood and abandon the college.If he wants to become a good guy he will slay the dark brotherhood and continue doing the biddings of the college until you become an arch-mage.The dark-brotherhood questline is always the part where I will choose how to shape my character (all my latest characters have 2 saves and 2 playstyles) and the dawnguard questline.He will always help alchemists and mages all across skyrim whether he becomes a good guy or a bad guy for he remembers his past before he went to skyrim.

I will probably post this build/profile this May (even though i'm planning to post it tommorrow,my brother is still fixing my grammar for i'm bad with my english) 

• 131 posts
    May 12, 2015 10:26 AM EDT

It was my old Altmer vampire battlemage named Ciridon, mostly using lightning enchanted axes to hack through enemy lines. However he was accidentally deleted..

• 131 posts
    May 12, 2015 10:37 AM EDT

Though i did change him into a pyromancer using aspect of terror and flames.