Forums » Elder Scrolls

Oblivion: To buy or Not to Buy???

• 161 posts
    April 16, 2015 9:11 PM EDT

I've never played Oblivion and It just itches me to get it But.... Idk Is it worth the money or time?

• 490 posts
    April 16, 2015 9:19 PM EDT
    Definitely worth the time and by now it is probably extremely cheap with all the expansions. I say get it.
    • 1595 posts
    April 16, 2015 9:24 PM EDT

Oblivion is still an awesome game and worthy of any TES fan's time. You'll love the DB quests Manni  If you thought Skyrim's brotherhood was good, it ain't got naught on Oblivion's.

• April 16, 2015 9:27 PM EDT

Did Phil just approve of assassins? 

• 161 posts
    April 16, 2015 9:28 PM EDT

Thanks Guys! I've seen a lot of love towards the quests so I guess I'll Get it.

Hey! when I do I should do a little forum thread of my progress so everyone can see, discuss and give tips on it. What do you think?

• 161 posts
    April 16, 2015 9:29 PM EDT

Hey,  Assassins are so awesome even he had to agree.

• 41 posts
    April 16, 2015 9:34 PM EDT

PuRcHaSe It LaD iT wIlL cHaNgE yOuR lIfE.

• 1595 posts
    April 16, 2015 9:46 PM EDT

The weird thing is that I reckon hands down the best faction quest was The Thieves Guild. Every quest was epic in that arc - and I hate stealth

In the DB questline in Oblivion, there was an Orc who encourages you to forget sneaking and just go bashing some heads. I always liked him.

• 125 posts
    April 16, 2015 10:44 PM EDT

Some of my best ES memories and experiences have come from Oblivion. The "fantasy" aesthetic and atmosphere is stronger there than it is in Skyrim, right down to its colorful graphics and immersive soundtrack. Even right now, the landscape of Cyrodiil is a unique and wondrous place; I keep getting lost in its massive cities, to the point where I'll even ask guards for directions (yes, that's something you can do... but make sure you aren't carrying any stolen goods when you talk to the guards, because they will smell them on you!). This, to me, is a good thing because it makes the world seem bigger and more detailed than what I've become so used to in Skyrim, where I know each city like the back of my hand.

Dungeon-crawling is also very fun because of how mysterious it is; I've found caves, Ayleid ruins, necromancer lairs, and goblin hideouts, but I still feel as if I've just barely even begun to explore this enormous place. For example, I know they had Dwemer ruins in Morrowind as they do in Skyrim, but I don't know if they do in Oblivion -- and the possibility of stumbling across one suddenly becomes fresh and exciting.

I will say, though, that I do have some minor problems with the game; namely the character models and the voice work. The characters look like a bunch of potato heads, and the voice acting ranges from good and convincing to straight-up cringe worthy. But then again, it gives Oblivion a strange sense of charm as well, which was somewhat lacking in Skyrim.

The quests are definitely the best part. Each is well-written, often times with unexpected twists and turns along the way. So on the whole, I'd say that Oblivion is most definitely a must-buy. I do recommend downloading a character overhaul mod to make some changes to the character models, but even without one, it's worth every dollar you spend. 

• 700 posts
    April 16, 2015 10:57 PM EDT

Depends on how you like your games.  I imagine Oblivion is quite enjoyable underneath the clunky controls and poor UI.  I've never played more than twenty hours because of that.  And I bought it twice.  

• 627 posts
    April 16, 2015 11:00 PM EDT

Also don't commit a crime when you aren't completely hidden because the guards will know even if there wasn't really anyone in sight

• 161 posts
    April 16, 2015 11:05 PM EDT

So do I get it on PC? I was planning to get it on PS3.

• 161 posts
    April 16, 2015 11:06 PM EDT

BTW. Since Im new what are some tips for An Assassin\Sniper character? 

• 125 posts
    April 16, 2015 11:12 PM EDT

Another wise bit of advice for any up-and-coming thieves in Cyrodiil. Apparently the guards are psychic!

• 125 posts
    April 16, 2015 11:19 PM EDT

I personally play on PC because I'm a bit too bothered by the in-game character models. But that's my picky self talking.  They aren't objectively bad, I just prefer modded ones. Find some images online and come to your own conclusion.

• 125 posts
    April 16, 2015 11:24 PM EDT

Build up your sneaking skill before taking on any jobs. Stealth is harder in Oblivion than it is in Skyrim, or at least it was for me.

• 161 posts
    April 16, 2015 11:27 PM EDT

IDK. Im horrible at modding.

• 125 posts
    April 16, 2015 11:28 PM EDT

Fortunately it's not even essential for enjoying the game. I hardly play with any Oblivion mods myself.

• 161 posts
    April 16, 2015 11:39 PM EDT

Hmm. Yeah. I guess. The combat looks not so bad so I think I will get it. 

• 125 posts
    April 16, 2015 11:40 PM EDT

You won't regret it. 

• 161 posts
    April 16, 2015 11:47 PM EDT

Hope So lol.

• 367 posts
    April 17, 2015 12:03 AM EDT

I've played Oblivion for years. In fact I still do. One tip for you when you get it. I don't think this is a game spoiler. When you can finalise your character, save it first then you can make new characters from that point onward. I've a few other tips but that may riun the first few hours of your game so I'll save them for now. When you've ran around a bit in Oblivion give me a shout.

• 12 posts
    April 17, 2015 6:12 AM EDT
    It's an acquired taste and much more complex than skyrim
    • 95 posts
    April 17, 2015 9:38 AM EDT

Manni you better be freaking getting Oblivion dude! I have Oblivion: GOTY Edition and I have been playing as a Light Armor wearing Shield Mage that uses the new form of casting I have created a little bit back called "Atronach Casting." I have never ran out of magicka while using it and it is absolutely beautiful! The only thing that will be a problem for most people is trying to receive blessings or "A kiss" from the Lady of Luck. I am also close to having both Destruction and Mysticism to 100 before I let Vampirism take over.

• 11 posts
    April 17, 2015 11:09 AM EDT

Things that are better in Oblivion than Skyrim:

*  The faction quests, especially the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves' Guild quest lines.  For that reason I think a sneak thief / assassin build is a great way to introduce yourself to the game.

*  Enchanting / magic.  Once you get far enough in the Mage's Guild questline, you get the ability to craft custom spells.  It doesn't take much fiddling to figure out how to break the game wide open in the best way possible.  Also there's a full set of Bound armor spells (like the Bound weapon spells in Skyrim), which is fun.  I rolled a mage build once with a custom spell that cast all the Bound spells (greaves, chest, gauntlets, helm, and sword as I recall) at once.  It drained my entire mana bar, but it meant I could switch between a glass cannon caster and a tank at will.  Also, Destruction damage actually scales so that it is useful throughout the game, instead of Skyrim's busted-ass system.

Things that are better in Skyrim than Oblivion:

*  The setting.  Oblivion's Cyrodiil is a little generic compared to Skyrim's Nordic flavor, with a few exceptions (the Blades faction is way cooler in Oblivion).  Also a lot of the random dungeons in Obliv are procedurally generated and not quite as interesting as Skyrim's, which AFAIK are hand-crafted.

*  The combat, especially the melee combat.  Skyrim already feels a little like you're swinging a sword through thin air as opposed to plunging it into the flesh of undead horrors; Oblivion has that same problem, but more so.

*  The leveling / enemy scaling system.  Oblivion makes you futz around with character classes in a system that's not very intuitive.  It's also a LOT more naked about scaling the enemies, which can be pretty immersion-breaking.  Skyrim does it too, but it hides it better.  There are mods that purport to fix this, but I haven't tried them.

*  The main quest.  If you start to get really, really bored closing Oblivion gates, don't worry, you're not alone.  The good news is that unlike Skyrim, which gives you all kinds of fun toys for completing the main quest, all Oblivion gives you is a suit of armor you probably won't wind up using, so you're not missing out on much if you eschew it altogether.  If you do decide to go through it, protip: you can make a mad dash through the Oblivion gates without stopping to fight enemies and get to the exit unscathed.

TL;DR, I think they both have strengths and weaknesses and I think they're both definitely worth playing.  I understand the Oblivion mod scene is also very strong, so it shouldn't be much trouble on a modern system to beef it up with graphical mods to make it a little easier on the eyes.