• 624 posts
    April 13, 2015 2:25 PM EDT

If you're into yaoi.

• April 13, 2015 2:28 PM EDT
    Brah.

Molag aint nothing on my main man JC.
    • 1483 posts
    April 13, 2015 2:29 PM EDT

Teaching mostly  I also have a big interest in art and I think that it will overweigh the Math interest at some point

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    April 13, 2015 2:37 PM EDT

F*ck R'hllor and his red whore.

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    April 13, 2015 2:38 PM EDT

Jimmy Carter?

I agree, he was a pretty excellent president compared to his contemporaries.

• April 13, 2015 2:41 PM EDT
    Tom, even if you were serious, Jimmy Carter is garbage.
  • Tom
    • 624 posts
    April 13, 2015 2:46 PM EDT

Completely serious. Still better than the presidents before and after him, and a better ex-president than any of the others to date.

• April 13, 2015 3:07 PM EDT
    I disagree. *Speeds off*
  • April 13, 2015 3:08 PM EDT
    I see what you did there.
    • 161 posts
    April 13, 2015 6:46 PM EDT

Careful BB! Hes the Prince of Rape and Hail Sithis. Also I thought might like this video

• 41 posts
    April 13, 2015 6:54 PM EDT
    You all are fools, this one thinks the Mad Skooma Cat God deserves only the highest of praise.

This one is done talking now...
    • 237 posts
    April 13, 2015 10:59 PM EDT

No love for Mara?

• 1595 posts
    April 13, 2015 11:26 PM EDT

I was obsessed with Mara when I first started playing Oblivion. You may recall that the Ritual Sign in that game had the powers The Blessed Word and Mara's Gift, while the Ritual Stone granted Mara's Milk and Mara's Mercy. Consequently I had many Imperial paladins and priests who took her as their patron.

My "quest" to understand the connection  between Mara and the Ritual led me into ES lore.

• April 14, 2015 1:29 AM EDT

I wholeheartedly agree!

Malacath and Sheogorath are also my favorites, although I find Dunmer and Khajiit lore very interesting as well.

I also love anything Nordic or Celtic based, just in general.

• 19 posts
    April 14, 2015 4:10 PM EDT

Its interesting that Mara could be lightly based on the Virgin Mary =P 

• 237 posts
    April 14, 2015 5:04 PM EDT
    And beloved for the same aspects! :)
    • 1595 posts
    April 14, 2015 10:45 PM EDT

"Lightly based" is right

Wasn't there a Nord lass in Bruma who said the words "Mara mother mild..."

I'm no Catholic but I believe those who are pray to Mary who acts like a messenger. So my question is, what is Mary's association with death?

• 19 posts
    April 15, 2015 9:47 AM EDT

To orthodox branches of Christianity, (Catholics, Orthodox, Anglican etc) Mary represents sorrow and love, because of the agony of watching one's child suffer. 

She called herself the Handmaid of the Lord, (Handmaiden of Kyne anyone?).

Catholics and Eastern Orthodox believe that they can ask Mary and all the other saints to intercede for them, because they are with God. She is known as the Mother of God, and many people refer to her as their mother as well (Mara, mother goddess). 

And the final aspect is the statues of Mara, especially in Skyrim. They simply look like the weeping Virgin Mary. 

• 1595 posts
    April 15, 2015 9:57 AM EDT

I've got all that, but what could possibly be the connection between Mara and The Ritual? Does Mary have a particular role as a psychopomp or something?

• 92 posts
    April 15, 2015 10:07 AM EDT

I'm not Catholic, but the only Mary ritual that comes to mind is praying the rosary and the "Hail Mary."

• 1595 posts
    April 15, 2015 10:15 AM EDT

What is the significance of both, Vaal?

• 19 posts
    April 15, 2015 10:20 AM EDT

As far as guiding souls to the afterlife, I don't believe that Mary does that in a direct sense. However, rituals associated with Mary are praying the rosary, consecration to the blessed Virgin Mary, and Acts of Reparation.

These rituals are intended to make people more devout, to reach a deeper relationship between God, and to save people from sin. Mary is said to pray for the forgiveness of sinners, and thus can be seen as one who helps souls attain eternal life (the afterlife, Heaven). 

As for Mara and the Ritual, remember that this may not come directly from being based on the Virgin Mary. Although, Mara's milk sounds similar to the prayer where God, or the Virgin is asked to take the person to their bosom, that is, to comfort and protect them. (hence extra health is given perhaps?)

• 92 posts
    April 15, 2015 10:26 AM EDT

Honestly, I don't know enough about it to form a serious reply without inadvertently trouncing on someone's personal faith. However, I see no real connection. I listed the rosary and the Hail Mary because that's the only ritual that I knew of pertaining to Mary. I do know that the prayers ask Mary to pray on their behalf. 

I'll have to keep digging. You said that you tried to understand the connection between Mara and the ritual. Did you come to any conclusions?