Forums » Elder Scrolls

What do you consider to be the level cap for character builds?

• 9 posts
    April 11, 2015 2:35 PM EDT
    So I know that roleplay builds should 'peak' when the criteria has been met, and I know min/max builds can go forever with legendary skills, but what do you guys think is the best level to consider a balanced build 'done'? Maybe 50? I'm looking for input because I know not everybody has the time (or patience) to level that much.
    (Btw sorry if I messed this up in any way, as I'm new to this and blogs in general)
    • 253 posts
    April 11, 2015 2:39 PM EDT

Honestly it just depends on the build, and when that build is "finished". A lot of builds go to 50 because it is a nice balanced level that allows for everything you want. Some people don't need that much, numerous builds cut off at 40 or 45. Even lower can work if it is for a specific purpose - ie. Alastor's Vancian Wizard is done at 30. Like I said at the beginning, it is just whatever works for the build.

• 485 posts
    April 11, 2015 2:43 PM EDT

Rarely will you ever need to level past 50 to create a balanced build. Those who perk their build past level 50 usually find that they've taken on some needless perks. 

• 9 posts
    April 11, 2015 2:49 PM EDT
    It's a hard transition from the previous two Fallout games where it caps for you, and you could easily max every skill with all the perks you could want.
    • 1483 posts
    April 11, 2015 3:09 PM EDT

I like to end at level 40. Rare of my characters continue past level 40 and if the build doesn't end up at that level I don't find the effort worth it. 

• 9 posts
    April 11, 2015 3:10 PM EDT
    True, but to get extra perks in Skyrim, you would have to max your skills multiple times to earn extra levels.

And by "previous two", I mean Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas.
  • Tom
    • 624 posts
    April 11, 2015 3:14 PM EDT

My games don't start until levels 40-50.

• April 11, 2015 3:15 PM EDT

Somewhere between 40 and 50 is normally good, but there are a few who accomplish their mechanical goals earlier than that or have a hell of a time leveling, like, as Zach said, the Vancian Wizard, who leveling maddeningly slowly.

• 87 posts
    April 11, 2015 5:07 PM EDT

I like the builds that end between 30 and 40, mostly because they are never too diluted with new abilities.

• 249 posts
    April 11, 2015 5:23 PM EDT
    Honestly, it's probably the one build that doesn't cap. I took him to 80 just so I could fight the Ebony Warrior. Won fairly easily too :)

Typically though, I can't get past level 40 anymore. All of my latest builds have been based around the earlier levels to keep it interesting right away.
    • 700 posts
    April 11, 2015 6:25 PM EDT
    This would be a good poll. I usually play until about 30. I nerf my own builds (forgot the actual term) and generally don't have the patience to craft or wait for top-tier items. My crafting skills rarely go over 50. I also like to create concise characters and often find myself with left over perks if I level too far.
    • 1 posts
    April 11, 2015 9:35 PM EDT

I guess maybe I do this backwards. I really don't pick a level. I decide what skills I want, about how far I figure they will get leveled and then figure out how many perk points I have to work with (using the attached chart and some guess-work). I figure that speech and lockpick will always get leveled, but count those together as one skill, unless one of them is going to be significant to the build. I generally find that I use between 4 and 6 skills which puts me in the mid 30's to mid 40's for most builds.

That said, if I can't find a use for all of my perks, I have no problem stopping early. I have one build that is only a level 18 build, even though I could eventually max out two skills (and thus have 24 perk points).

I have never messed with making skills legendary, because I find some of the fun to be figuring out how to make the build viable if the perks I want outnumber the perk points that would be available.

• 237 posts
    April 12, 2015 12:41 AM EDT

I really like builds that are finished by level 35.  Leveling really slows down after 25, the enemies are already getting nasty, and having the build come into its own earlier means I can enjoy it without playing for dozens upon dozens of hours.

• 9 posts
    April 12, 2015 12:58 AM EDT

I agree with your thinking Greyson. I just thought I'd like to hear other people's preferences, since I've considered posting builds for others to try. Also, very helpful chart. It answers my question beautifully.

• 1467 posts
    April 12, 2015 6:22 AM EDT

Interesting. Personally I'm a fan of lower-level builds, 40 is my general max these days but I usually prefer to end at 35. I did used to enjoy playing upto level 50 but now I feel that working on a build for an extra 10-20 hours can beat playing an extra 15 levels. 

It really depends on the character though, some character just beg to be allowed a higher level, and others beg to be put out of their misery (Sometimes I tend to find that perfect ending point, where the character has hit it's pinnacle)

Though I will never play an uneven build, 37, 33 or even 34 is just a no go, it has to be divisible by 5 (yes even if that means I play an extra 2-4 levels) just something that I can't physically do. 

• 1595 posts
    April 12, 2015 7:21 AM EDT

I guess a lot depends on the character and what you wish to present, as others have said. There is a lot to be said for pick up and play builds, by that I mean the ones with a tight focus that can be experienced in a weekend. Some of Paul England's builds are great at this as they are inspiring and accessible, giving the player the experience intended by the author. The Elf Hewer, The Clever Man and The Swordthane are good examples of this. So in those cases I see nothing wrong with level 30 or 40 builds. I did a Crystal Tower build and set my representative perks as level thirty. I got to much higher levels, but felt 30 was good because by then I had completed all my objectives and assembled all the pieces.

On the other end of the spectrum there are the epic builds which require a huge investment of time but allow the player to reap huge rewards. Many of Mason's builds are like this, the Heretic and The Sentinels being good examples. I think I recall him saying that for him rp didn't really start until the builds were complete.

So I think it depends on the experience you are presenting. There is nothing wrong with either extremes, most prefer to walk a middle ground.  

• 95 posts
    April 12, 2015 3:40 PM EDT

Fallout New Vegas: GOTY Edition has a leveling glitch.... And it makes a character OP easily. But I just set up the Haardcore mode and set it to the hardest difficulty and then I am usually fine afterwards.

• 9 posts
    April 12, 2015 4:05 PM EDT
    Haha don't play Borderlands. The cap was 50, then 61, then finally 69.
    • 1217 posts
    April 12, 2015 4:07 PM EDT
    But seriously, do play Borderlands ; )
    • 9 posts
    April 12, 2015 4:08 PM EDT
    NIPPLE SALADS!!!
    • 237 posts
    April 12, 2015 5:43 PM EDT

YOU'RE GONNA BE MY NEW MEAT BICYCLE!

• 237 posts
    April 12, 2015 5:45 PM EDT

I guess I differ a lot from Mason there.  Builds have to have enjoyable RP and gameplay right from the start for me to be interested.  I hate having to hide behind followers or sit in towns grinding to pay for training while 'setting up' for a build.  I want to be out there, punching dragons!

• 95 posts
    April 13, 2015 4:52 PM EDT

Depends on my sub-race (Vampire Lord, Werewolf, Hybrid, Human, etc.).

Vampire Lord: 40-55 Max

Werewolf: 40 Max. Thanks to Something revealed on the blog, A werewolf can be

Human: 50-60 Max

Hybrid: 40 Max

• 1595 posts
    April 13, 2015 4:58 PM EDT

I'm sure there was probably more context there and we can see from his Seraphim videos that he pretty much gets into his character from the off. Maybe the heavy rp like no fast travelling, eating meals and sleeping didn't come into effect until after all was complete.

• 68 posts
    April 19, 2015 9:41 PM EDT
    I think a cap depends on the total number of perks you're going to use and quests for rp. All quests except the main story have minimum levels so you obviously can't cap before that level. The daedric quests are perfect examples of this.