Forums » Elder Scrolls

Morrowind: To buy, or not to buy

• Tim
    • 92 posts
    April 10, 2015 9:06 PM EDT

Hello everybody! I was thinking about buying Morrowind (I have a Xbox 360 so I was going to get the Xbox version) and wanted to hear some opinions on it. I've found it for about $25 for the Game of the Year Edition (Used) and as low as $10 for the regular edition.

I've played through Oblivion and enjoyed it, though mainly just the quests, not the mechanics (because, well,  they're old). I was planning on doing pretty much the same with Morrowind, playing through the Main Quest and some of the guilds, because I know very little about Morrowind and wanted to find out more.

So in the end, is Morrowind a reasonably fun game with interesting quests? And are the DLC worth playing through? I appreciate all thoughts and opinions about the game!

Also, thanks to everybody who replied to my earlier post, which was in the wrong place.

• 558 posts
    April 10, 2015 10:09 PM EDT

I have played it on 360, and it is a very different experience than Oblivion or Skyrim. The melee combat mechanic in Morrowind is based on a dice roll, one that gives your weapon a chance to hit, and one that allows your enemy to evade said attack. You walk very, very slow. It can get pretty annoying if you are a fan of the sprint mechanic in Skyrim, and Athletics levels slow. The Tribunal DLC wasn't on my GOTY Edition, and I've never been a high enough level to survive in Solstheim for long. I would recommend this game if you enjoyed Oblivion.

• April 10, 2015 10:13 PM EDT

Btw, about the walking/running speed, it is considered legit except by the most strenuous of roleplayers to run over to Gnisis and get the Boots of Blinding Speed (fortify Speed 200pts) or use the console command to max it out.

Morrowind's speed is ridiculous.

• Tim
    • 92 posts
    April 10, 2015 10:18 PM EDT

On my previous post, most people said that Morrowind is much better on the PC. However, my PC can barely run stuff you find on Armorgames, so I would imagine that this might be a slight bit difficult for it. Also, I can't download anything, so no mods are going to be happening. This is why I was going to just buy the Xbox version lol.

• 87 posts
    April 10, 2015 10:34 PM EDT

Morrowind is great on both platforms, but you might want to upgrade your computer at some point, anyways.

• 87 posts
    April 10, 2015 10:37 PM EDT

I bet the Tribunal expansion was on your GotY game, or you would be complaining solely about the quest log. The dice roll mechanic becomes more likely when you advance your character, as does the movement speed. The whole point of Morrowind is to advance your character.

• Tim
    • 92 posts
    April 10, 2015 10:47 PM EDT

Yeah....I really don't think an upgrade is going to happen. Without good internet, I won't be able to get mods even if my computer is amazing.

• Tim
    • 92 posts
    April 10, 2015 10:51 PM EDT

Yeah, Athletics takes an amazing amount of time to level up even in Oblivion. Would you say that running in Morrowind is the same as walking in Skyrim? (I do know that there is no sprint button, and that you just press one button or push one joystick to move/run)

• 558 posts
    April 10, 2015 11:31 PM EDT

Well I looked up on how to start Tribunal, and I read something about Dark Brotherhood assassins were supposed to be attacking me all the time. I'm not sure what you mean about the quest log. It is like a journal and you have to flip the pages to see quests or updates to quests. I know the point of Morrowind is to advance your character. Are you insulting my intelligence? 

• 558 posts
    April 10, 2015 11:33 PM EDT

It actually depends. I once started an Argonian (15+ Athletic skill) and made Speed a favored attribute and started with the Steed Stone. It made my walking very fast.

• April 10, 2015 11:39 PM EDT

My internet at home tops out at 130kb/s, which is more than enough to download most mods. Tamriel Rebuilt takes a while, but that's about it.

• Tim
    • 92 posts
    April 10, 2015 11:45 PM EDT

Ah, but, you see......speed is not the problem. I only get 2.5GB a month.

• 87 posts
    April 11, 2015 12:06 AM EDT

No, Gollum, I was referring to the concept in a bigger way. Your character in Morrowind starts out as a normal person, and you advance and develop your character as you go along. In Skyrim, your advancements do not matter nearly as much. For instance, the combat. You almost never hit your opponent when your character is at a low level; in Skyrim, it all has to do with player ability.

• 18 posts
    April 11, 2015 12:26 AM EDT

You could always download mods with your phone/tablet/laptop or a friends at a free hotspot and copy them over. Don't know about your area, but around here I can get good wifi for free at any coffee shop, library or hotel lobby.

• Tim
    • 92 posts
    April 11, 2015 12:29 AM EDT

Yeah, that's a good idea, and something I've never really thought too much about before lol. Do you think a computer that can barely run Armorgames stuff could run Morrowind though? (If you can't tell, I know very little about computers, which is another reason why I stick to my Xbox 360, nice and simple :D)

• 18 posts
    April 11, 2015 12:34 AM EDT

Definitely recommend Morrowind. It's not a 'reasonably fun game'. It's a masterpiece. But keep in mind that it's 13 years old this year, it's not like today's games or even Oblivion. The graphics are pretty crappy, there's almost no voice acting meaning you have to like reading a LOT of dialogue, and the combat is as Archcanon mentioned, dice-based. It's all about your character's stats and has little to do with your player skill.

• 130 posts
    April 11, 2015 12:52 AM EDT

I think you could probably run it. Even one of my kind could run it at lowest settings (gold star to anyone who gets that).

• 18 posts
    April 11, 2015 2:02 AM EDT

Probably, maybe not with all the graphics mods. You can try systemrequirementslab.com to see if your computer can run it.

• 249 posts
    April 11, 2015 3:17 AM EDT
    I highly recommend it. It's so damn cheap that you may as well just get on with it and deal with xbox graphics. The graphics didn't make the game, the freedom and awesome story did.

The thing you have to get used to is managing Fatigue (equivalent to Stamnia). As you run, swing a weapon, or jump your fatigue will decrease. You can restore fatigue by walking and allowing it to regenerate or with potions. The lower your fatigue is, the harder your previously mentioned "dice rolls" become. Everything from swinging a weapon to casting a spell has a chance to hit or miss so Fatigue plays a much bigger role here. Which honestly makes sense! The more fatigued you are, the less energy and concentration you have. Oblivion and Skyrim turned Fatigue into the "sprint and power attack" Stamina bar. It was a great concept streamlined for the masses :p PS Beware cliff racers aka Sky Demons!
    • 367 posts
    April 11, 2015 8:17 AM EDT

As with any game, Morrowind has it's faults. The combat mechanics is Morrowinds biggest downfall but thats due to everyone being spoilt with Oblivion and Skyrims way of handling combat. If you can see past that and the now outdated graphics then Morrowind would definatly be worth the money. I still play Morrowind on the PC and the xbox 360. The G.O.T.Y. Edition is well worth the money spent. Theres a multitude of factions to join ranging from the twin lamps to the temple. As for the quests, there are many and well spread out. You never know whats around the corner.

• Tim
    • 92 posts
    April 11, 2015 11:34 AM EDT

Well, I can't even run systemrequirementslab.com lol.

• Tim
    • 92 posts
    April 11, 2015 12:21 PM EDT

Something I just thought of is that, if you buy the GOTY edition used, aren't the DLC basically gone already from the previous owner using them?

• 87 posts
    April 11, 2015 1:18 PM EDT

I don't know. However, it is well worth the money to buy the GotY edition new.

• Tim
    • 92 posts
    April 11, 2015 3:03 PM EDT

But you are assuming that I have that much money :D. GOTY new is around $60 more.

• 87 posts
    April 11, 2015 3:12 PM EDT

It shouldn't be. I have seen GotY new available for less than $30.