Forums » Elder Scrolls

So, What do you name your enchanted items?

• 485 posts
    March 7, 2015 5:46 PM EST

Probably the best part about enchanted items, aside from potentially making yourself an overpowered god, is getting to slap a custom name on your gear. So, I'm curious to know what kind of cool, interesting, or absurd names you've come up with. 

• 6 posts
    March 7, 2015 5:48 PM EST

I like to name some after where I got them, so if I came across a high-leveled helmet in Bleak Falls, I might call it Glass Helm of the Barrow or something. Alternatively I go for a naming system like in the terramancer, where each piece is named to fit a theme.

• 1467 posts
    March 7, 2015 5:52 PM EST

Bob, Jill, Fred, ya know normal names like that. I always run into battle with my Daedric Warhammer enchanted with Chaos and Absorb Health called Bob, nothing like that feeling.

• 1483 posts
    March 7, 2015 5:52 PM EST

Quoting myself 

I had posted a few in a similar thread a few months back, here they are:

Masseriel - Glass Sword crafted in Silent Moons camp when both moons were out and visible from near the forge, enchanted with Silent Moons Enchant and Frost Damage. This fragile looking sword is created using ancient elven techniques from the finest Malachite gathered at the very top of the Throat of the World. It can cut through even the finest armor and chills the blood in enemy veins.

Secraen - Glass Dagger crafted at the same night, enchanted with Silent Moons Enchant and Paralyze. This dagger's razor-sharp edge can penetrate even the hardest materials and it's enchantment gives the wielder ability to direct strikes to the vital points of the enemy, paralyzing him and leaving to the mercy of the weapon's master.

Both of this weapons are infused with the power of the moons themselves and slightly glow at night.

Edit: if you want to check out that thread for some other names, here it is 

• 485 posts
    March 7, 2015 5:55 PM EST

Thats pretty awesome Vaz. 

• 6 posts
    March 7, 2015 5:57 PM EST

+1

• 485 posts
    March 7, 2015 6:00 PM EST

Havent see one in a while. Must be lost under the sea of Stormcloak VS Imperials threads. 

• March 7, 2015 6:09 PM EST
    Everyone is interested in different things. I'd probably not give a damn about Skyrim four years after its release if not for the civil war.
  • March 7, 2015 6:20 PM EST
    Because I think the lore is interesting? Because I think it's fun to pick a side and get really political about it? I like the Stormcloaks' motifs, and it's fun to immerse myself in that kind of role play. You say the war is just a sidequest, but I think it's an important part of the overall story of Skyrim.
    • 277 posts
    March 7, 2015 6:24 PM EST

I have a few:

Thu'um Bolt - A legendary Daedric Bow enchanted with Fire Damage & Paralysis using the Alchemy-Smithing-Enchanting loop.

Kyneblades - Twin Glass Swords enchanted with: Shock Damage & Magicka Damage and Frost Damage & Stamina Damage.

Winds of Kynareth - Glass Bow enchanted with Shock & Frost Damage.

Oblivion Shatterer - Nordic Greatsword enchanted with Banish & Chaos Damage. 

• March 7, 2015 6:29 PM EST
    I don't enchant that much these days, but back when I did I had a couple I liked:

Skyfire Blade- Skyforge Steel Sword with fire enchant.
    Sword of the Under-Sun: Dwarven Sword with fire.
    • 100 posts
    March 7, 2015 6:33 PM EST
    Greywand: A dagger or Silver Sword with Fear, used for many magician characters.
    The Long Cure: Crossbow with paralyze, used to administer poisons.
    Worn Footwraps: Footwraps, with unperked fortify stamina. My Odysseus was fond of his footwraps...
    I don't get too creative with the names myself. I still like the Binding Rags that kept the old Clever Man from falling apart :P
    • 1 posts
    March 7, 2015 7:19 PM EST

I ALWAYS, no matter what type of weapon or armor it is(daedric, glass, even if it's elven), I always take the enchantment and the type of weapon or amor piece it is and name it in the dragon language. Say if it was a dagger with a health drain enchant, I would call it "Dalk do haas gahrot" which means "dagger of health steal". Or say a helmet with a waterbreathing enchant I would call it "Zurgah do lom su'um" which means "Helm of water breath". Not exactly creative but nonetheless cool in my opinion

• 11 posts
    March 7, 2015 7:25 PM EST

I'm going to run a pair of Nordic Swords with at least Silent Moons Enchant named Masser and Secunda on my Khajiit Mystic.    

• 145 posts
    March 7, 2015 11:39 PM EST

I'm terrible at naming things, so I usually just name mine silly, impractical things. Sometimes I'll think of a name that I think is really cool, and then go back to it later, and say, "Why did I think this was a good name?"

• 3 posts
    March 8, 2015 12:00 AM EST

I took the Saints Row approach once and named a Dragonbone Warhammer "Dildo Bat" and enchanted it with absorb stamina

• 485 posts
    March 8, 2015 12:26 AM EST

I tend to struggle with enchanted item names myself, so I open the floor to suggestions. What you you name a blade's sword enchanted with drain stamina?

• March 8, 2015 12:35 AM EST

For most weapons, I'm not creative enough to think of an original name, so I end up stealing borrowing names from other fantasy worlds. When I find myself having to write up the build, I sit down and think of semi-decent names, since I only use about 5 in all my playthroughs.

The Zerth Blade (Absorb Magicka / Magicka Damage), my favourite name for a spellsword's sword. Entropy (Absorb Health / Lightning Damage) dual-wielded with Chaos (Absorb Stamina / Fire Damage) for the more jovial rogue. Varscona (Frost Damage / Absorb Health) is probably my go-to name for swords, though.

• 237 posts
    March 8, 2015 12:42 AM EST

Overhate, I see you have the wonderfully OP Chaos + Fire sword.  In your experience, does only the shock damage on the Chaos side get augmented, or do the fire and frost also get boosted?  I've read reports that only the shock is dealing the listed damage.

• 457 posts
    March 8, 2015 12:42 AM EST
    Sapsucker, Anemion, Lethargia, Sleepslicer, RIP, or on a really bad day 'sit-yo-butt-DOWN'

You can probably tell I have a bit of trouble naming items as well xD
    • 3 posts
    March 8, 2015 12:43 AM EST

Not that creative, but in one of my characters I dual-wielded blades swords. One was enchanted with absorb health, the other with absorb stamina and their names were "tsukare" and "tsukuru" respectively. Those words translate to English as "Make Tired" or something like that.

• 700 posts
    March 8, 2015 12:58 AM EST

I name my things practically rather than creatively.  (Charcter name)'s (Item) of (Effect).  

• 237 posts
    March 8, 2015 1:05 AM EST

I usually only use generic descriptive text for anything but weapons.  For weapons, I like impact words like Apocalypse or Burning Reaper.  Sometimes they're named functionally, like Dragonslayer or Blood-stealer, which helps me find them in my Favorites easier on xbox.

• 189 posts
    March 8, 2015 1:46 AM EST

Depends on the build, and how I'm feeling at the time. If it's a build that's reliant on lore/backstory, I'll try to name the gear appropriately. Especially weapons; I really love a well-named sword. A lot of my favorite fantasy series have at least one awesome named sword -- Excalibur, Glamdring, Narsil, Grayswandir, Durandal, Amoracchius, Oathkeeper, Nightblood, etc. -- and it really adds some depth/myth.

An example for me was the Progenitor. I had three named swords: Folvindr, Svellbrandr, and Kalastyra. These names came from Old Norse and Icelandic words cobbled together with a bit of artistic liberty. Bethesda uses those languages often when naming Nord characters, objects, and locales, so it fit well with the backstory and characterization I wanted to establish.

On the Crystallurgist, I looked at Greek philosophy. Ebion is linked to the ancient Greek word "bios" and relates to living life in a meaningful way. Asulon has various meanings including "sanctuary" and "inviolable place". Both of these concepts are somewhat linked to the overarching themes of Crystallurgy, and while I wasn't really able to go in-depth on that front (the build is already probably too long as it is) I used those names as little tie-ins for my own satisfaction.

On other characters, I may go a more generic route -- [material] [weapon type] of [adjective] [effect] or some similar variation. Sometimes I'll use an extent of the generic magic apparel, e.g., Ebony Helmet of Divine Alchemy ... Other times I'll make up my own names, e.g. Ebony Greatsword of Hellfire.

Sometimes I don't even bother renaming my gear at all, if it's a minor enchantment that doesn't materially alter the nature of the item nor support the lore/roleplay framework.

• 61 posts
    March 8, 2015 6:50 AM EDT

Crozier Arcanum - Elven warhammer with turn undead enchantment. A recurring weapon, I use it for priest and paladin type characters.

Sword of Saint Martin - Imperial sword with as high a fear enchantment as I can get.