Forums » Elder Scrolls

Why is Shor's throne left vacant in Sovngarde?

• 30 posts
    March 6, 2015 5:11 PM EST

Or, for that matter, where is Shor at all in Sovngarde? Additionally, what connection, directly, or perhaps indirectly, does the Last Dragonborn have to Akatosh himself, since the Amulet of Kings was shattered?

• 1217 posts
    March 6, 2015 5:38 PM EST

I'm quite curious about the Shor thing, myself.

• 1217 posts
    March 6, 2015 5:38 PM EST

Although with Kyne being "Shor's Widow" and Shor being Lorkhan, he may just not be there because he's dead.

• 30 posts
    March 6, 2015 5:52 PM EST

["he may just not be there because he's dead."]

Interesting observation. The question would then be: why would any Nord want to die and go to Sovngarde if the lord of that realm is dead? It also raises the question of Alduin's legitimacy as the true lord of that realm. According to Paarthurnax, Alduin claimed lordship as the chief agent of Akatosh. But I have never seen Alduin take the form of a humanoid to sit on that throne in the Hall of Valor.

• 1217 posts
    March 6, 2015 5:57 PM EST

Alduin claimed Lordship of Sovngarde? I hadn't heard that. But regarding the first question, none of the Nords who are there seem to have a problem with it. Shor presumably made Sovngarde the 'paradise' it is, and so he doesn't have to be there to maintain it. Would have been nice if he could be there to defend it, but I doubt most daedra/divines count on their realms being invaded by dragons-of-the-end-times.

• March 6, 2015 6:09 PM EST
    He's probably yelling at Auriel for letting his dog run wild. That's what I'd do, and I'm Shor.
    • 30 posts
    March 6, 2015 6:16 PM EST

I think the implication is that he's actually the lord of Sovngarde, if you believe Shor = Lorkhan = Akatosh. If Akatosh is a Dragon Aspect, then Alduin makes a compelling case that he is the god of the Nords.

• 1217 posts
    March 6, 2015 6:20 PM EST

Where is Lorkhan equated with Akatosh? I'm pretty sure they're completely separate entities...

• 161 posts
    March 6, 2015 6:31 PM EST

Leave Auriel Alone!

• 179 posts
    March 6, 2015 7:24 PM EST

According to one of the generic Hero of Sovngarde lines: "Shor's high seat stands empty; his mien is too bright for mortal eyes." Also, to answer Boro's question, some theorize they are connected; see the below image.

• March 6, 2015 7:31 PM EST
    Can we apply occam's razor to this? It seems too complicated to be legit.
    • 179 posts
    March 6, 2015 7:34 PM EST

Not really, Occam's Razor doesn't mean that complicated explanations are usually wrong, and TES is known for its intricate and complex lore anyway.

• 1217 posts
    March 6, 2015 7:44 PM EST

And wouldn't that be just like TES.

• March 6, 2015 7:52 PM EST
    It's overly complicated is the thing. It's like they're grabbing. I don't know, but this gets under my skin for some reason.
  • March 6, 2015 8:08 PM EST
    No. The guy's a chump.
  • Tom
    • 624 posts
    March 7, 2015 1:35 AM EST

I'm starting to get annoyed with all these great discussions that should be in the Lore Group appearing in the general forums. Stop it.

Towards the subject, my thought is the Shezzarine. Shor was killed at Convention, his heart torn asunder and dispelled (later physically destroyed but not erased from Nirn), and his body made into the moons. All that's left is Shor's spirit, and we know his spirit manifests itself throughout history as great heroes (or villains) collectively called Shezzarine.

We've got a Shezzarine adrift in the 4th Era.

• 1217 posts
    March 7, 2015 1:39 AM EST
    So is the throne for the Shezzarine, or is it just symbolic (considering the throne is in Sovngarde and assuming Sovngarde is in the moon and assuming the moon is Shor's body)?
  • Tom
    • 624 posts
    March 7, 2015 1:51 AM EST

No. Sovngarde holds the souls of the dead. Shor's soul is missing.

There's a Shezzarine somewhere in Tamriel around the time of 4E 201.

I can get into the Sovngarde being in the moon thing, but it makes no difference where Sovngarde is located. We're talking about Shor being missing from his own hall.

• 1595 posts
    March 7, 2015 3:26 AM EST

I'm starting to get annoyed with all these great discussions that should be in the Lore Group appearing in the general forums. Stop it.

Seconded.

• 58 posts
    March 7, 2015 5:12 AM EST

What if shor made a deal with alduin

• 12 posts
    March 7, 2015 5:23 AM EST
    Foolish Nord doesn't understand the grandeur of The elven gods
  • March 7, 2015 9:30 AM EST

The elves and their corrupt ancestor worship can go elf themselves. 

• March 7, 2015 9:30 AM EST

Like, if Lorkhan is Auriel, why did he go to war against himself? 

• March 7, 2015 9:32 AM EST

Not that I believe Shezzarrines exist, but....

• 12 posts
    March 7, 2015 9:34 AM EST
    And this is why the Thalmor are headed in the right direction