Forums » The Lounge

Most Played Difficulty?

• 1 posts
    February 26, 2015 1:30 AM EST

I should start by saying that this website is a great addition to the game. Great builds, well-mannered members ;)

I would like to know on what difficultly most players play. I usually play on Master. Perhaps it could be a future survey. (Perhaps it has already been a survey, if so apologies.)

• February 26, 2015 1:33 AM EST
    This feels like a bit of a confession, but it almost always play on adept... Or sometimes... *sobs* against really hard bosses... *sobs again* apprentice! *muffled bawling*
  • February 26, 2015 1:38 AM EST
    On a more serious note, in terms of pure technical skill I'm not the best gamer, and on top of that, my computer was about middle of the road three years ago (which causes a bit of lag and horrible reaction time), so I find that playing on master on any moderately difficult part leaves me hating the game, myself, and the world.
    • 18 posts
    February 26, 2015 2:23 AM EST

Usually master, but if I'm playing a more powerful character I'll go to legendary.

• February 26, 2015 2:45 AM EST

It's okay. I've got games I've owned for years, games I consider myself fairly skilled at... and I still can't play above the second difficulty.

For Skyrim, I have so many ridiculous AI and difficulty mods that anything more than Adept (a level playing field) is way too brutal.

• 1483 posts
    February 26, 2015 12:22 PM EST

Master from day 1 to the end 

• 93 posts
    February 26, 2015 1:02 PM EST

It varies depending on my character. If I'm RPing a character and want it to feel like he's really struggling, I'll bump it up to around Master, so I have to really be on my guard. If I'm playing some all-powerful character like my coming-soon RP profile character, I'll drop it down a lot lower because it only makes sense for him to cut through the baddies (or in his case, the good guys lol)

• February 26, 2015 1:13 PM EST

After 4 years, I think Master is the best difficulty there is. It provides enough damage bonuses to the enemy to actually make them hard.

I don't blame anyone who plays Adept though. They're either new players or just big wimps ;P

• 9 posts
    February 26, 2015 3:51 PM EST
    I always play on master. Although I hate draugr death lords, bears, and fuckin saber cats for the first 20 or so levels. Playing as a pure mage, the multiple draugr deathlords in Saarthal almost made me wanna punch a hole in my monitor. My wife kept telling to stop playing because I clearly wasn't enjoying it.
    • 485 posts
    February 26, 2015 3:55 PM EST

Master all the way. 

• 490 posts
    February 26, 2015 5:50 PM EST
    Master all day, errday.
    • 12 posts
    February 26, 2015 8:02 PM EST

I generally stick to Adept. Occasionally bump it to Expert. Back down to Apprentice if I'm being tossed around the room, run out of health potions, and haven't saved recently

I don't get how you people play on Master

• 700 posts
    February 26, 2015 8:18 PM EST

I play on Expert.  Skyrim is the game I play when another game frustrates me, so I don't want to spend ten frustrating minutes ruining my right trigger trying to kill a Deathlord and end up getting one-shot.  Too much stress.  

• 87 posts
    February 26, 2015 8:22 PM EST

I think that Expert (1.5x difficulty) should theoretically give a very good balance, but I find that is not the case. Anything below Master is incredibly easy once you are used to the increased difficulty, with Legendary being a slog of blow-trading (similar to Oblivion's higher difficulty settings). This is not fun. In vanilla Skyrim, Master is the best by far. However, I believe that a combination of mods will get you a better balance (for difficulty, I personally use Requiem, Frostfall, CoT (pitch-black dungeons), Winter Overhaul [only a difficulty mod when combined with Frostfall], Deadly Combat/Dragons, hitstop/recoil, Dragon Combat Overhaul, Sands of Time, and more). If Requiem didn't negate difficulty changes, I would likely drop down to Adept (combat difficulty simply isn't as artificial with the load order I use, and there is no reason to make it so).

• 457 posts
    February 26, 2015 8:22 PM EST

I've never messed with the difficulty slider... ever. I loaded the game, saw to it that it was set for Adept and never gave it a second thought xD

Seeing as I get very little time to play, rolling Adept allows me to move through the game a little more quickly and enjoy more of it for the quick snatches I can find ;D

• 75 posts
    February 26, 2015 8:56 PM EST

I beat the game on expert difficulty I think, however the whole time I thought I was playing on adept 

Most of the time now I play on expert and switch it up to master when I get to higher levels, though. Don't think I've played on adept since character no.3 (out of about 10)

• 41 posts
    February 26, 2015 9:10 PM EST
    I generally play on Expert. I'll occasionally bring it up to Master, and sometimes go down to Adept if I'm being wrecked by some end-of-dungeon bass.

Most of my characters don't use followers very often, nor Conjuration, so I often feel overwhelmed if playing above Expert. Expert feels just right for a solo adventurer.
    • 1467 posts
    February 26, 2015 9:20 PM EST

I quite often play on Expert. Occasionally it's Master or Adept but usually Expert. I play there because I enjoy a bit of a challenge but don't want t be devastated by Legendary.

• 87 posts
    February 26, 2015 9:46 PM EST

The problem with the difficulty slider is that it doesn't make it more difficult. Most of the battles are just as hard given a basic level of dexterity on the part of the player. The slider just makes the game more time consuming, which only adds to the "difficulty" by virtue of a lack of player endurance. This is stupid.

• February 26, 2015 11:21 PM EST

We've all been there, bro. We understand the pain 

• 9 posts
    February 26, 2015 11:26 PM EST
    Its even more of a pain when you make a point of not abusing the in-game save (which I'm ashamed to say I do, frequently). These youngsters don't know the struggle of having to fall back to save points...
  • February 26, 2015 11:32 PM EST

I'm pretty sure we all can agree with you. Skyrim would be truly harder if the AI were smarter, and more reactive.

Though, I have had an amazing moment that basically accomplished all these traits, so I'm pretty sure that Skyrim can easily be what we want without mods, I'm just not sure how.

• 44 posts
    February 27, 2015 12:00 AM EST
    I play on adept and its the hardest level ive ever played on though from what I can tell with all this talk of the master difficulty and so many builds tailored for it.. I would assume that its the most popularly played difficulty level.
    • 627 posts
    February 27, 2015 12:07 AM EST

I used to play on Master with the occasional switch down to Adept if things were getting too tough. Now I just play on Expert since I'm too lazy to keep switching between Master and Adept.

• 253 posts
    February 27, 2015 12:15 AM EST

My favorite is Expert, or I might bump it up to Master  at higher levels or if the character is really strong. I rarely play on legendary, it is mostly a difficulty for internet-ego boosting so Skyrim fans can pretend that Skyrim is harder than Dark Souls.