Forums » General Gaming

Personal replay values of non-RPG, linear, un-modded games

• 700 posts
    January 31, 2015 8:34 PM EST

Replay value: a term used to assess a videogame's potential for continued play value after its first completion.

The fact that so many of us are still playing Skyrim speaks for the game as well as our ability to squeeze every last bit of fun out it. This is especially true for those who play without mods. Many games fall into the same category, like Mass Effect, Fallout, and Dragon Age which often, and unsurprisingly, come up in discussions here.

But what about non-RPG, non-open-world games? These games are usually more or less linear with comparably limited customization options and though they may have multiple endings or multiple-play unlocks, total time spent playing will likely be nowhere near time spent playing one of the previously mentioned games.

This is understandable, but as someone who milks single player games for all their worth, I'd like to know how much these same kinds of games are played by others.  

What I'd like to know:

• Your most played non-RPG, non open-world single player game(s)
    • How many hours/replays you have put into it
    • Why you played it as much as you did/do
    • Your first open-world RPG

Rules:  

• Games with co-op count as long as you played them primarily alone.  Just estimate time played alone.
    • Time played with mods does not count.

My most played is Halo: Combat Evolved, with roughly 800 hours of unmodded play.  Second is Dead Space 2, with roughly 200 hours.  

I played Halo: CE as much as I did because it was the only game I owned for three years and I had dial-up which prevented online play.  

Dead Space 2 is still very fun for me to play.  I like most of what it has to offer and it has enough variety that I can change how I play to challenge myself.  For example, not upgrading my suit or weapons, or using just one weapon.  And every time I play, it's basically practice for Hardcore mode.  Which might make me stop playing.

My first open-world RPG was Fallout 3, which I first played in 2010.  The Gamestop employee laughed at me. 

• 1217 posts
    January 31, 2015 8:51 PM EST
    • My most played non-RPG, non open-world single player game(s) 
      • are mostly shooters, so things like Perfect Dark, Battlefield, Brink, Halo, and in more recent times Far Cry 3, but also things like Majora's Mask and XCOM: EU
      • I've put a lot of time into most of these. I've replayed PD a lot, Brink a few times, I've replayed each Halo except the 4th at least twice. I'm on my first game of FC3, and probably won't start another, but if one of my friends enjoys it enough we might get FC4 for that co-op. Just finished XCOM for the first time this week, and begun the arduous process of doing an Impossible Ironman playthrough.
      • They've either got really interesting mechanics (as in the many secondary weapon functions of Perfect Dark or the depth of strategy in XCOM), great stories (like Halo: Reach), or both (Majora. And Brink. Poor swept-under-the-rug Brink).
      • Really depends on how you define open-world RPG. Mass Effect? Probably that? Assassin's Creed is probably the next oldest open world game I've played.
    • 700 posts
    January 31, 2015 9:03 PM EST

Isn't Brink the shooter that tried to implement free-running?  I do like your list though.  It's good to see what others are playing, especially when they're playing games that don't fit into open-world RPG, which I didn't want to define here because that's another discussion on it's own.  I'd say Mass Effect fits though.  

• 133 posts
    January 31, 2015 9:08 PM EST

No I believe it tried to implement the worst AI this side of COD Russians. It worked.

• 1217 posts
    January 31, 2015 9:14 PM EST

The AI was really bad, but in fairness the game wasn't meant to be played with AI, but rather with full teams of people. But it seems like with that in mind, they let the AI slump. That's probably not the only thing that hurt it, but it had a fantastic concept and interesting story, some really fun customization, and didn't do too bad with the free running.

open-world RPG, which I didn't want to define here because that's another discussion on it's own

Fair enough. Yeah, Mass Effect was definitely the first console RPG I played (beginning with ME2, actually). Before that, it was Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced (which is amazing).

• 1217 posts
    January 31, 2015 9:20 PM EST

How come they laughed at Gamestop?

• 700 posts
    January 31, 2015 9:36 PM EST

The cashier thought it was funny that I was buying Fallout 3 two years after it's release, when New Veags was already out.  That's pretty much my M.O. though.  I only recently bought DA Origins and DA 2.  

• 1217 posts
    January 31, 2015 9:38 PM EST

Ah. I got FO3 very late, but before NV (got to stand in line for the midnight release of that one). Getting games late is a great idea, though. They're cheaper, and tons of the bugs have been worked out.

• 700 posts
    January 31, 2015 11:36 PM EST

By the type I got Skyrim, the backwards-flying Dragons had at least been worked out.  It's one of the few games that I've been with from the beginning, or at least near the beginning.  I do wish I could have seen the backwards dragons though.  

• 1483 posts
    February 1, 2015 3:43 AM EST

Conflict: Vietnam. It had unlockable difficulties and I spent about two playthroughs on them. Even after beating the game on the hardest difficulty I played about 2-3 times after that :) It had that squad-based combat with the ability to individually control and position squadmates. It also had stealth elements and a decent-enough storyline.

Also, Soldier of Fortune II: Double Helix if offline server against bots counts. I spent about a year playing against toughest bots in that game. Still gives me an edge over my friends when we get to play CoD 2 :)

Fallout 3 :)

• 116 posts
    February 2, 2015 2:03 PM EST
    Most played non RPG, non open world: I probably have the same amount of time invested into the Madden series. Usually playing as the "owner" of the team so I could build it the way I wanted to. Grid iron football is definitely my first love. A non sport game, maybe mortal combat: Armageddon. Idk I used to play that quite a bit with friends.

My first open world RPG: Might and Magic (6 or 7 I can't remember). The game was alright.
    • 1 posts
    February 4, 2015 7:29 AM EST

My first open-world RPG was Fallout 3, which I first played in 2010.  The Gamestop employee laughed at me.

Wish I had that kind of patience and willpower ... You get all the DLC, all the patches and a huge amount of mods for a fraction of the original price. So, let them laugh, I say.

The Thief series. I find myself coming back again and again. Also, Invisible Inc.

No idea, to be honest. Around 200, I guess.

Stealth is my favorite genre next to RPGs. I like to replay Thief because it gives you so many different options. Whether you use all your gadgets or try to ghost a level w/o any arrows or traps makes a huge difference. And since the levels are often very tricky, it can take several replays to find all the loot and see all the place has to offer.

Invisible Inc. is also stealth, but completely different to Thief. It's turn-based and tactical, reminds me a little of X-COM: Enemy within. What makes it even better is the gameplay depth: you can try out lots of different character combinations, gadgets and tactical approaches, and the levels are procedurally genereated, so no map layout is ever the same. One mission takes 20-40 mins, so I often find myself playing one or two missions before getting back to work or doing sth else.

Morrowind, yay!