Forums » Elder Scrolls

ESO to ditch subscription and console release date announced.

• 180 posts
    January 21, 2015 1:44 PM EST

Hi Elder Scrolls fans. Earlier today, Bethesda set a date for the console release of Elder Scrolls Online of June 9th 2015. Along with this announcement, they confirmed rumours that the game would get a free to play option, which is being marketed as Tamriel Unlimited. They have also stated that this version will be available to PC players before the console release date. 

Read more here: http://kotaku.com/the-elder-scrolls-online-is-ditching-subscriptions-1680869560?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

My questions to you guys are:

Does this make you PC players out there feel more likely to return to the game, or to finally buy it?

Does this change anything for you console players? Are you considering making the switch to next-gen if you haven't already?

Do you think ESO will shine as a free-to-play MMO, or will it just get lost in the sea of options out there? 

• 8 posts
    January 21, 2015 1:52 PM EST

I'd love to give it a try if it's free to play, but I doubt I'll enjoy it enough to keep playing. It'll also depend on the difference between the free-to-play and subscription gameplay. I'm okay if it's just gear or some questlines or skills, less okay if it really feels like you gotta be a subscriber to enjoy it.

I don't think I'd upgrade from PS3 just for this. Moving into PC gaming now, which just seems better compared to console restrictions, like mods.

I'm not an MMO guy really, so I don't have much experience.

Interested to see what other people will post 

And happy birthday! I've got to get it right for somebody!

• January 21, 2015 1:56 PM EST
    Yeah, I'll give it a try if I can get it for a cheap price. As for whether it'll shine, I have no idea. I've never played an MMO besides Runescape.
    • 100 posts
    January 21, 2015 4:10 PM EST
    Meh, the whole MMO style of gameplay, including combat animations, generally turn me off. No matter the universe an MMO takes place in, star wars, elder scrolls, etc- the gameplay holds no appeal as yet. Too clunky and mechanicky. I hope gameplay standards for MMOs change before long.
    That being said, once its cheap and only five people still frequent the server, I'll probably get ESO
    • 145 posts
    January 21, 2015 4:43 PM EST
    Eh, I might get back into it, but it was so boring that I don't think that I could finish it. I don't like the fact that they tell you that you're the "chosen one" and then there are thousands of other chosen ones around you.