Forums » General Gaming

Boss Battles.

• 133 posts
    December 19, 2014 4:24 PM EST
    I don't know if this has been done before so don't hate me if it has. Boss battles in games are the moments you anticipate most, a true test of your characters stregnth and your skill at the game.

So my question is, (if you havnt already guessed) what is your favourite or most challenging/memorable boss fight you've had in a game? It could be best because it was hard yet intresting as in your opponent was challenging because of intelligent AI. Or whatever.

As for me its rather difficult to choose. I really liked the Mr Freeze fight in Batman Arkham City, because he constantly adapted the way you had to fight him. You needed to think outside the box with your attacks.

So what is your favourite boss battle?
    • 168 posts
    December 19, 2014 6:21 PM EST

Dahaka (Prince of Persia - Warrior Within) - Very difficult to beat on hard difficulty. I had to re-think my strategy million of times to beat him.

Kerrigan (Starcraft II - Wings of Liberty) - I used that device that allow you to control Zerg and I controlled tons of Broodlords to wipe out Kerrigan

General Gaius (Dust - An Elysian Tail) - What I loved most about Dust is we had a real inversion of values. If it's cliché the vilain to force the hero to fight against his closest friend in order to torture him psychologically, here the opposite happened. The Moonblood Elder made general Gaius fight against the one who was his closest friend. For once I had pity of a vilain when I watched Gaius trying to convince Dust that they were once friends.

Safer-Sephiroth (Final Fantasy 7) - The man used a special attack that destroyed half of the Solar System just to inflict a ridiculous amount of damage. I can't decide if this is sad or funny.

Ultimecia (Final Fantasy 8) - Hard to beat because she was always full of surprises.

• 152 posts
    December 19, 2014 8:09 PM EST

Personally, I really enjoy the bosses of Warhammer 40k Space marine, but that might just be the sheer fact that I am an Ultramarine bleeding over.

Mostly, though, I usually don't remember boss battles that much. I usually like the odd encounters that turn into weirdly cool things

• 130 posts
    December 19, 2014 9:11 PM EST

I think I'd have to say Ornstein and Smough from Dark Souls. It's a very challenging fight, and if you want to beat it on your own you have to think tactically. I can't really explain why I like it so much, I just think its a very well designed fight.

• 627 posts
    December 19, 2014 9:14 PM EST

I have a love/hate relationship with that fight. I think it might be because they both complement the other and that through doing that they are a challenge.

• 130 posts
    December 19, 2014 9:22 PM EST

I have a love/hate relationship for most bosses, because I hate how they kill me, but you've got to respect a good enemy.

• 627 posts
    December 19, 2014 9:35 PM EST

That sounds 'bout right.

• 14 posts
    December 23, 2014 12:26 PM EST
    I liked damons second form in dragons dogma dark arisen on hard mode i had a really hard time with him especially because i did it with no pawns, i got to admit tho his first form is more fun to fight but not as challenging as his second form, death is a dick as well.
    • 149 posts
    December 26, 2014 11:49 AM EST

For some reason, Icon of Sin from Doom 2 comes to mind. Though I'm not sure that boss battle has really stood the test of time.

Let's see, what else is there...?

There's the champion of the Pokemon League (in any Pokemon game ever)... The rebel flagship in FTL... Doomsday in Sonic 3... Ballos in Cave Story... GlaDOS in Portal...

I'm sure I could think of some others. 

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    December 26, 2014 5:53 PM EST

That fucking Balrog from The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age.

It is so long and repetitive as to become boring. Every party member (4) dies at least ten times, and your healer spends pretty much every turn casting a resurrection ward on everyone else.

• 93 posts
    December 26, 2014 6:02 PM EST

Dragon Age Inquisition. The "RLD" (To avoid spoilers)

I never took the dispell spell... And i didnt realize how important it was until that battle. But it was awful. Kept putting its barrier back up every time it lost a sliver of health.

• 133 posts
    December 26, 2014 7:14 PM EST
    All these games sound great I can't believe I missed out on them. What I really hate is when a battle takes place where your opponent simply spams the same attack, I like variety. It's the same the other way around, I want a challenging battle, not one where I'm repeatedly smacking my nemesis in the face over and over again...
    • 47 posts
    January 19, 2015 9:22 AM EST

Rat Queen (Drakensang The Dark Eye), Fire Demon (Bound by Flame), Titan (Risen 1)

• 41 posts
    January 30, 2015 2:18 PM EST

The most challenging boss for me was Yiazmat from Final Fantasy XII, it took me eight freaking HOURS, just to kill the final mark, for that little Moogle in dalmasca, was it worth it ? I think it was, the sense of achievement I felt after dealing the final blow was just epic and no boss battle ever since has made me feel the awesome struggle for dominance ever since, not even Dark Souls

• 207 posts
    January 30, 2015 2:43 PM EST

Maleficient in Dragonform in Kingdom HeartsThird Fight Riku Kingdom Hearts
    But i was really young when I did this battles and didn't use the right equipment. If I 'd try it again I would be probably capable of defeating them with ... less rage.

Zexion in KH2 because of the time limit

Efrey or how this fuckin' thing is called in Final Fantasy X. Hardest Battle in a game I can remember.