Forums » General Gaming

You should be ashamed of yourself!

• 130 posts
    November 22, 2014 8:38 PM EST

Not really. Spend 5 minutes downloading the DSfixes and you're away.

• 100 posts
    November 23, 2014 3:47 AM EST
    Sid Meiers "Pirates! Gold" is a game you should be ashamed of having never played. I'm gonna download it and play it again now. #Caprice
    • 10 posts
    November 23, 2014 4:17 AM EST

I never managed to play any console exclusive games (God of War, Gran Turismo, Uncharted, Resistance etc etc.) because I was very used to the mouse and keyboard and I find controllers very clumsy to use. And I would prefer to buy a new gaming PC than a Playstation 4 or Xbox One (not PC Master Race shit and stuff, just personal preference).

• 56 posts
    November 23, 2014 4:51 AM EST
    I have two criteria on whether I play a game or not: Graphics and genre. Im very picky particularly on the former, so games with no eye-popping graphics doesnt inspire me to play it even though it passed the genre criteria, which are stealth and fantasy games. So Ive never touched some popular games such as ME, Halo and Fallout. Although I dont do sci-fi, I have played the Crysis series.

I have a relatively small list of games Ive played, but if you're into these kind of games, I recommend these: AC, Splinter Cell, Hitman (stealth) and RPG games such as the Witcher series, Tomb Raider reboot and older games, Crysis, God of War series, Darksiders series, and other games I cant remember anymore.

Criticizing people for not playing a game theyve enjoyed is simply not justifiable, is basically cyber bullying, and does nothing but create strife on our already misunderstood community. I dont play the games youve played because its not my thing. Dont dont have the right to flame me for it. We all have our own preferences.
    • 1483 posts
    November 23, 2014 6:57 AM EST

I recommend giving the new Thief game a try. Graphics and level design are great, stealth is well-crafted, especially with custom difficulty modifiers, and it's very immersive 

• 1483 posts
    November 23, 2014 7:11 AM EST

Well, you do have something to play when you get tired of Skyrim... (probably never

• 56 posts
    November 23, 2014 7:30 AM EST
    I was hyped about the Thief reboot when it was first announced, but after I learned it was pretty much locked to first person, I got so turned off. I had similar experiences with Dishonored, and after only a few hours of playing it I realized I very much liked to see the whole character than just his hands. It was a pity really, since I quite liked Dishonored's mechanics, and that your actions can really affect how the story turns out. The decision to kill (or not to kill targets) will affect how the girl becomes when she grows up.
    • 1483 posts
    November 23, 2014 7:37 AM EST

Hands in Thief are much more interactive than in Dishonored where they were pretty much locked in one position the whole time. Plus you do get to see your character in some sequences during missions so it's quite different from Dishonored in that regard. Though, yes the game is first-person stealth which is IMO more realistic and challenging than third person 

• 56 posts
    November 23, 2014 7:52 AM EST
    Hmm.. Perhaps all is not lost with this game. I might give a try after all. :-D

I was very much looking forward to this game that I got so frustrated when I found out about the first-person thing. Its not everyday that you get to play a game whose focus was on stealing rather than killing. :-)
    • 1483 posts
    November 23, 2014 8:08 AM EST

Just so you know, you see your character in cutscenes and 1-2 climbing sequences. Cutscenes make about 10-15% of the game. However, you do feel like playing the character shown in cutscenes, unlike Dishonored (where as I recall you only see your character in the ending). 

• 56 posts
    November 23, 2014 11:06 AM EST
    I dont know. As Ive said, I only played for a few hours and Ive never touched it since then. I only made it up to rescuing the girl. It was becoming too boring, esp since I had to refrain from killing anyone I saw. :-D
    • 41 posts
    November 23, 2014 11:19 AM EST

Never mind Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quest are the ones to go back and play, as for Final Fantasy well that really depends on your taste in the realms of JRPG I only played FFX2 and FF12, but hey don't worry about it, just because you ain't played those games it doesn't  mean that you're any less of a gamer than the rest of us, there are loads of classic games I haven't played, does that make me any less of a gamer ? HELL NO IT DOESN'T !!

• 1483 posts
    November 23, 2014 3:07 PM EST

That's what ruins stealth in Dishonored. If you can kill everyone in open combat stealth becomes pointless, you have to force yourself to sneak. I got somewhat bored around the same time as you but finished the game nevertheless. Pushed to the end, so to speak 

• 249 posts
    November 23, 2014 11:06 PM EST
    The art style was different in Windwaker but the game is incredible nonetheless. The game just takes itself a little less serious and adds great humor to an epic storyline. My one gripe is finding the shards. Anyone who's played it probably knows what I'm talking about...

I honestly thought Windwaker was better than Twilight Princess. The latter failed to hold my attention from the start and there is a recurring sequence that I really disliked. Twilight Princess had some epic fights and weapons though. Loved the incorporation of new sword and board moves.
    • 249 posts
    November 23, 2014 11:18 PM EST
    Tsk tsk, go play Morrowind!
    • 87 posts
    November 23, 2014 11:35 PM EST

Honestly, I do not think any serious gamer needs to pay any attention to Zelda, Kingdom Hearts, or Final Fantasy. Though I have played these series extensively (not in recent years, however), I do not find them to be incredibly difficult, interesting, thought-provoking, or fun. None of the aforementioned series contain two features that I find essential in serious games: challenging environmental puzzle-solving and extensive, significant, and thought-provoking choices. The puzzles in Zelda, which contains the most interesting puzzles of these three series, are not difficult or intuitive. They are a harder variant of Skyrim's (non-existant) puzzles; you can very easily figure out what you need to do based on the items you recieve and objects in the room. None of these games feature serious decision making; though some choices in some Final Fantasy games affect later events to a low degree, none of the decisions leave a serious impact on the player or his character (the way more "serious" games do). Choices in games, including both tabletop RPGs and video games, should be either morally complicated or should impact your future experience in the game. This is not to say that every decision you make needs to be major; a small amount of well-created choice making goes a long way when combined with many minor decisions. That claim calls to attention some better choices throughout gaming, such as those in a few of Bioware's games, Baldur's Gate (series), Fallout (series), and especially in well-executed RPGs. RPGs are probably the best example of both features; with a good DM, you experience many of the best moral and game-based decisions, which is why they are so popular now (oh, wait). Regardless, take this as you may. I am not arguing against easy or morally simple games, as they have their place in the garbage can when we just want to lay back and shame our families play casually; I am arguing for the more complicated, thought provoking games. I feel that these games have been tragically underrepresented in the community for a while, so I just wanted to share my two cents.

• 1217 posts
    November 23, 2014 11:39 PM EST

I was just really, really put off by the art style. It may be because I expected a sort of progression from the last title, and instead I saw it as a step back. In contrast, the style of Twilight Princess is what really appeals to me, so I hope it's not really dull. Though at this point it's probably cheap enough that it wouldn't be a huge loss.

• 56 posts
    November 24, 2014 5:55 AM EST
    Yeah you'll be forced to finish the game just to know how the story goes, which isnt bad, really. Its like Witcher: Assassin of Kings, the choices you make along the way defines the ending of that particular branch, so to speak. Its Dishonored's gameplay that ruins it.

At the time I just got a copy of Splinter Cell Conviction and Blacklist as well as the Tomb Raider reboot, so I finished those instead. :-D
    • 130 posts
    November 24, 2014 6:11 AM EST

I really like Dishonored's gameplay diversity actually. My main problem is that I wish there was some way to turn the chaos system off, because sometimes I want to be a killer, but I can't bring myself to do it when I think of Samuel.

• 56 posts
    November 24, 2014 6:11 AM EST
    The God of War series and the older Tomb Raider games are the ones I realy had a difficult time solving. At one point I had to pause the game (God of War I) to research how the f**k do I solve a particular puzzle. But once I got the hang of it, I never had to do it again although some of the puzzles took me more than 30mins to figure out, which was a bit frustrating, because some of the puzzles are between some major fights and the adrenaline rush you felt just after a battle will go away while you figure out the puzzle to go to the next encounter.

The Tomb Raider reboot has tomb raiding stuff, but the puzzle-solving stuff that was prevalent on previous games weren't there. Which makes sense, since the story was about how "a survivor is born", and not the tomb-raiding Lara that we already knew.
    • 1483 posts
    November 24, 2014 8:47 AM EST

Conviction is the only game I didn't finish in Splinter Cell trilogy. It went against the foundations of the game IMO and was the worst of all. Blacklist tops it by far

And Tomb Raider reboot is awesome! 

• 1483 posts
    November 24, 2014 9:16 AM EST

Come on, it isn't that bad  At least you're not forced to kill people like in Conviction

• 1483 posts
    November 24, 2014 9:26 AM EST

I'm looking at it from gameplay perspective. Sure, you can overpower yourself, sit in some corner and snipe everyone but you also have the option to get past everyone undetected. You don't have that in Conviction. That is a biiig minus for me in any game that calls itself a stealth game. 

Blacklist is much more a Splinter Cell game than Conviction by its gameplay. 

And storyline is neither better nor worse than, say, Pandora Tomorrow or Chaos Theory IMO. They all are not really the pinnacles of storytelling. It was engaging enough to get me to the end of the game. I can't say the same about Conviction (though, I guess, gameplay played a large role too)

• 56 posts
    November 24, 2014 6:34 PM EST
    Wow. :-D

For myself I play a game for its story, not just for the sake of the game itself. Although I havent played the previous games, I followed through the story. And I think it makes sense that Conviction was the way it was. Fisher was on the run/grieving for his daughter, so naturally he didnt have all the toys he once had. He was an avenging father using all the tricks he learned as a Splinter Cell agent. It was like a Bourne storyline with SC awesomeness. And I just loved the interrogation sequences! At one point I had to purposely fail in order to repeat an interrogation simply because I wanted to try out all the possible interactions. It was awesome seeing Fisher bash a guy's face everywhere :-D

Conviction was the closest thing to a real-life "spy sh*t" as we can get, so I guess its another reason why I really liked it. As for Blacklist, well, as Vaz said, there are other options to completing missions other than going ala Sniper.
    • 149 posts
    November 24, 2014 6:38 PM EST

My first ever console was a Gamecube. I missed a LOT of games growing up. It was all PC for me.

Personally, who gives a darn what a person has or hasn't played? Nobody goes out of their way to read every book that's ever been written (if that's even possible). What matters is that you enjoy the things you do play, not how many things you haven't played.