Forums » General Gaming

You should be ashamed of yourself!

• 180 posts
    November 21, 2014 10:37 AM EST

I'm ashamed of myself and you should be too!

Why you ask?

Because I have not once in my life played The Legend of Zelda. I've also never played a Final Fantasy game, or Kingdom Hearts. 

Now to be perfectly honest, I really don't give two shits that I've never played these games. They never really appealed to me. However, when I let people know that I have never played these games they react like I'm some kind of fraud.

'How can you call yourself a real gamer but never played these classic games?'

I'd call people out on this, except that I'm guilty of it myself. How for example can a gamer go through life without ever playing a game of Halo, Fable or Oblivion? Seriously, there are some poor souls who have never even played pokemon. And to me, that's just wrong. 

So my questions to you are:

What are the classic games you never played that you feel other gamers will judge you for never having played?

What games do you think every serious gamer should try at least once in their life?

Finally, what do you think about this kind of judgement in the gaming community? Should gamers be allowed to play (or rather not play) whatever they want freely? Or are there certain games that all gamers need to try at least once? 

• 641 posts
    November 21, 2014 10:45 AM EST

I'v played everything 

• 1483 posts
    November 21, 2014 10:48 AM EST

I didn't play pretty much all the games you mentioned  Even more, I've probably never played a lot of classic games that will come up in this thread  I don't think there are such games that every serious gamer should try at least once, and tbh, I couldn't care less about what others play  If they played the same games I had, good, we have something in common. If not, well, we may still have something in common that is not related to gaming 

• 207 posts
    November 21, 2014 11:04 AM EST

Never played LoZ

• 1483 posts
    November 21, 2014 11:25 AM EST

Yeah, defensive mechanism LOL 

Seriously though, gaming is not that widespread in Armenia, of all my friends here only one plays video games. There are other topics except gaming that we can all talk about 

• November 21, 2014 11:38 AM EST

Didn't play Zelda, or the gameboy pokemon games, or Halo, or Team Fortress.

Not only that but there are games that are universally recognized as being the best (Half Life, WoW, a few others) and I completely despise those games and find them terrible even for their time.

Also I don't see how Kingdom Hearts is a "classic", there's many games that are way more revolutionary than that. Like the Tekken/Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat trio, the Mario games obviously, the early Gran Turismo, and so on.

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    November 21, 2014 11:41 AM EST

Being broke seems like a good excuse.

• 773 posts
    November 21, 2014 11:57 AM EST
    I don't really play games my children are obsessed with, and that's ruled me out of Legend of Zelda, Pokemon and Kingdom Hearts just to name a few.
  • November 21, 2014 12:01 PM EST

I played Half Life, and it was terrible at the time. Nearly no soundtracks, repetitive gameplay (easily over 20 hours of the same repetitive thing), poor gameplay mechanics (moving around felt like moving on platforms of ice, everything was very slippery for no reason), little to no challenge at all when it came to boss fights.

Spyro, Rayman, Mario, Zelda, all those games came before Half Life and they were many times superior. Even if you wanna consider Half Life a shooter, Goldeneye 007 came before it and it was much better. Heck even Doom was a better game.

• 44 posts
    November 21, 2014 12:08 PM EST
    Ain't never played kingdom hearts, final fantasy, digimon or Pokemon don't care to really.
    • 44 posts
    November 21, 2014 12:10 PM EST
    And mine craft.... How can anyone like that clunky blocky cheap graphic sorry gameplay excuse of a game. I don't understand the craze.
    • 1217 posts
    November 21, 2014 12:37 PM EST
    How long have you been gaming, Paul? I'd have expected something like Zelda to be a shoe-in for you.
    • 145 posts
    November 21, 2014 5:13 PM EST
    I've checked out Ocarina of Time for 3DS, but I got stuck and never played it again... I've never played Kingdom Hearts or Final Fantasy either. I rarely ever get any games, so I usually get ones that I know I'll like, like Skyrim or anything Pokémon (except Pokémon Ranger).
    • 1217 posts
    November 21, 2014 5:39 PM EST

For me, "classic" begins with the N64. Before that I only played a bit of Batman, X-Men and Sonic on the Genesis. Final Fantasy never interested me until Tactics Advanced (which is a blast), and I never played Kingdom Hearts because I'm not a big fan of the concept. I don't think any of my close gamer friends have played FF either, so we're "out of the loop" together on that one. For the most part, if I haven't played it I've at least heard of it and know enough about the premise to have a conversation about it. In the TES community, though, Skyrim is the only one I've really played, but no one's ever like "tsk, tsk, go play the older ones!" I owned Oblivion for a little while, but never so much as completed the opening sequence.

The only time I ever got flak for not playing a game was when my last roommate found out I hadn't played Mass Effect, but completed ME2. He finally convinced me to change that, though, for which I'm grateful. #thanksgivingstuff

• 249 posts
    November 21, 2014 7:21 PM EST
    "Classics", huh? Classics for me would have to be the first three Ninja Turtles games on NES!! I was a turtle as a tyke so of course I had the games. Mortal Kombat was my first fighter and a good one too. What was it, ABACABBA..? I loved the Sonic games and Streets of Rage. Oh what about Castlevania?! Anyone? I have a deep love for medieval fantasy settings and magic. That's pretty much how TES got the best of me. After Morrowind I knew I'd never play anything so in-depth and to my liking as much as that game. Go play Morrowind lads and lasses. Don't be discouraged by the graphics and difficulty. Embrace the freedom.
    • 700 posts
    November 21, 2014 10:33 PM EST

I've never been shamed, but I have been met with pity and disbelief.  Most of it comes from never having beaten Ocarina of Time.  

I usually advise people to play Bioshock, but my recommendations depend on what games they're serious about.  For storytelling, Bioshock and Mass Effect.  

Of course people should be free to play or not play what they want, but the judgment won't stop.  There are games that come highly recommended, but no real necessary games.   

• 1217 posts
    November 21, 2014 10:41 PM EST

I haven't beaten Ocarina of Time either, actually. I honestly liked Majora's Mask better, but I'll get around to beating OoT eventually.

• 700 posts
    November 21, 2014 10:51 PM EST

I figured I wasn't alone in committing this "sin", but it's good to hear someone else admit to it anyway.  The only thing I know about Majora's Mask is the moon.  And the most I've played of any Zelda game was Phantom Hourglass, which I never beat.  

• 1217 posts
    November 21, 2014 10:53 PM EST

I haven't played any of them after Majora's Mask, mostly because I've been put off by the art style changes. I do want to pick up Twilight Princess at some point (I like that style), and the new zelda game coming looks pretty exciting.

• 130 posts
    November 21, 2014 11:02 PM EST

I feel aboslutely every game should play Dark Souls 1 at least up to the Gargoyles.

• 700 posts
    November 21, 2014 11:09 PM EST

So that they understand the universally-felt frustration at a game that masks difficulty with unfairness?  It's good watercooler talk.  

• 75 posts
    November 22, 2014 2:37 AM EST

Because I have not once in my life played The Legend of Zelda. I've also never played a Final Fantasy game, or Kingdom Hearts. 

Has never play any of those games or Fable.

• 1467 posts
    November 22, 2014 4:58 PM EST
    I haven't played Mass Effect, Fallout or Half-Life, that's the closest I've been to not playing anything major.

Hmm Pokemon for me at least is one of the greatest games ever made so Id say it's one game everyone should try at least one version. Other then that I'd say Hmm none it's a personal choice actually I also say you don't have to play Pokemon, I'd recommend it but it's a choice.

To me I never really face this judgement mostly because the people I do know as gamers play very similar games as me and while sometimes we have arguments of Halo vs. Battlefield vs. CoD were pretty chill about it. But I think the judgement other people face is horrible, well I hate any kind of bullying so I don't often play online but regardless nobody should be judged for their taste in games.
    • 130 posts
    November 22, 2014 5:19 PM EST

What are you talking about? No, every player should play Dark Souls 1 up to the Gargoyles, as it's the kind of game you either love or despise, and I don't think it's fair to make that decision until you get to the Gargoyles.

• 1217 posts
    November 22, 2014 5:54 PM EST

I really don't know what people see in Fable. One was considered amazing, 2 was frowned upon and 3 was generally hated. I played the latter 2, and mostly agree with those opinions.