Forums » Elder Scrolls

A Tribute to RuneRed

• 78 posts
    October 27, 2014 4:23 AM EDT

I am here for a short time compared to other members, but man, it's been great. Starting out as a Character Builder, it was kinda easy getting to know others. I took inspiration from the oldest members of the site and tried to walk in their steps. Not few are the members I've put in my "favourite list". Shor, Tae-Rai, Chris Diokno, Asks-Many-Questions etc. etc. (don't worry adds-many-comments, you and I will always be best buddies :D), but my faith, as my love for the nordic culture and tradition, brought me close to another member. This is a tribute to RuneRed.

Honestly, once I read the message, I was like "You high dude?". I clicked on his profile and it was true. RuneRed is gone. Which means no more fights over beards, no more chit chat over vikings and their longships and most importantly, no more mead talk. 

I've been in a pretty bad condition the last 2 years and this game, this blog, was like my only exit from reality, for the time being. So, I returned home today, put some celtic music on Youtube, relaxed on the chair and opened the browser, only to find his message on my inbox. Fucking emotional celtic music playing on the background and here I am crying and typing these words.

I don't know how much time the guy has been around here, but it must have been pretty long. He was sharing viking photos, trivia and things through all this time, but I know he always wanted to make that special place in the site for all the viking lovers to hang out. He finally did it. A Viking Group is up, but he isn't. 

I don't know why he is leaving. What I am sure about, is that I will respect his decision and I am raising my drinks tonight to his name. May he always live well. And may our roads cross again.

This is the site. Whoever interested may join. I don't know who is going to run it. In the case nobody is up to it, I will be here to take the responsibility. The group won't die while I am still here.

This is for you buddy. Hail to you and your legacy. Hail to RuneRed!

Farewell, brother.

Whoever you are, if you are reading this and knew RuneRed, post a "Hail!" in the comments. Let's keep his presence alive! Let's make it big! Let's make him proud! He is in tough situations, so let's ease his pain. Shout with me and let him see our goodbyes once he return to the site for a revisit. Shout with me!

• 1595 posts
    October 27, 2014 5:07 AM EDT

What the hell? Anyone know why he left?

This is a sad day

• 1595 posts
    October 27, 2014 5:25 AM EDT

Are you saying he sent you a message before he left? At least he didn't do a Vix and just zero sum.

As this is a tribute, Viking pictures should be posted. Which one of these is Rune?

• 641 posts
    October 27, 2014 5:50 AM EDT

thats sad 

• 78 posts
    October 27, 2014 6:05 AM EDT

Haha he is obviously that badass who slayed the dragon. The truest of us all.

He sent a message to most of his friends, if not all. Wasn't you in there?

• 4 posts
    October 27, 2014 6:24 AM EDT

wait wha, what happened!?

• 557 posts
    October 27, 2014 6:56 AM EDT

RuneRed has been here for about as long as I have been (October 2011). He hasbeen a great member, amd will be dearly missed by many people.

A variety of factors played into his leaving, but the most prevalent of which seems to be an illness that he has be stricken with lately, which lef to a tremendous amount of stress.

Regardless of what has happened, tonight I raise a horn of mead to my friend. Best wishes to you, RuneRed.

• 92 posts
    October 27, 2014 7:20 AM EDT

Wow, this news makes me sad. As you can tell by my blog name, I love Norse culture. When I first joined the blog, I was sucked in by RuneRed's Viking Trivia. I will miss my conversations with him.

Lift your horns, for I will offer a traditional Viking toast to RuneRed:

Mein Skol,
    Dein Skol,
    Alle Vakkera Flikka Skol.

which means: To my health . . . to your health . . . to all beautiful ladies' health.

• 641 posts
    October 27, 2014 7:27 AM EDT

'Lo, there do I see my father. 

'Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers. 

'Lo, there do I see the line of my people 

Back to the beginning.

'Lo, they do call to me. 

They bid me take my place among them. 

In the halls of Valhalla. 

Where the brave... 

May live..

Forever.

• 78 posts
    October 27, 2014 7:31 AM EDT

Skål!

• 78 posts
    October 27, 2014 7:32 AM EDT

Hail!

• 78 posts
    October 27, 2014 7:33 AM EDT

Ah, good to know. Poor RuneRed, man...

• 92 posts
    October 27, 2014 8:39 AM EDT

Unless it's Icelandic or Faorese. However, the true Norse version:

Mein Skål,
    Dein Skål,
    Alle Vakkera Flikka Skål.

• 92 posts
    October 27, 2014 9:25 AM EDT

This is the original prayer (3 B.C. - 4 A.D.). The original has a few extra lines (I put them in bold) that are so badass

Lo, There do I see my Father 

Lo, There do I see my Mother and

My Brothers and my Sisters 

Lo, There do I see the line of my people back to the beginning 

Lo, They do call to me 

They bid me take my place among them in the halls of Valhalla 

Where thine enemies have been vanquished 

Where the brave shall live Forever 

Nor shall we mourn but rejoice for those that have died the glorious death. 

• 100 posts
    October 27, 2014 9:46 AM EDT
    This is sad news. RuneRed will be honored in these halls forevermore. Raise a horn to turning of the seasons, and be united in spirit no matter where we find ourselves.
    • 92 posts
    October 27, 2014 9:53 AM EDT

Hail!

• 78 posts
    October 27, 2014 10:17 AM EDT

Haha I know mate, I was just wishing back to you. 

• 92 posts
    October 27, 2014 10:21 AM EDT

Ha! Then I shall have another round in your honor!

• 78 posts
    October 27, 2014 10:22 AM EDT

Update: Let's make this thing enormous. I want every single member of this blog to write "Hail!" in the comments in his honor. Hail!

• 622 posts
    October 27, 2014 10:43 AM EDT

Garthar - Please watch your swears.

• 1483 posts
    October 27, 2014 10:52 AM EDT

I got his message. I'm sad that he left, he was one of the most intelligent and fair members of the site and I always enjoyed engaging in discussions with him. Hopefully everything will go well for him.

Hail! 

• 78 posts
    October 27, 2014 11:01 AM EDT

Eh, sorry boss.

• 1217 posts
    October 27, 2014 11:11 AM EDT

Hail! Best wishes, Rune.

• 19 posts
    October 27, 2014 3:33 PM EDT

Wait what??

Damn, that's sad news
    I don't know why he left, but I'm quite sure he felt it was time
    (I know I almost never show my face outside the photo section, but still,) I'm sad that he left
    Not sure if he'll read this, but just to let him, and everyone else on this site know: Tonight, I'll raise my glass in his name. Rune, you'll be missed.

• 1595 posts
    October 27, 2014 6:28 PM EDT

I don't think we were ever on each other's friend list to be honest, but I'm not sure. We have had a few heated discussions in the past about certain issues which is probably the reason for that.

I wish him all the best, his gentlemanly presence and insightful contributions will be missed.