Forums » The Lounge

Let's talk: About your team.

• 209 posts
    September 15, 2014 4:37 AM EDT
    Whichever sport/sports it is you watch, how did you team do this week ? This is a discussion to have your say, let it all out. It doesn't necessarily have to be a team, if you follow a sport in which individuals compete, how did they do?
    • 16 posts
    September 15, 2014 9:53 AM EDT

I wish Quidditch were real, or Baseketball. Dodgeball is real but not like in the movie.
    I'm not drawn to actual sports, though I would have to say that that is more the fault of some of the fans than of the games themselves. 

• 209 posts
    September 15, 2014 9:57 AM EDT
    Baseketball??
    Where are you from? Football fans have a reputation or being rather crude and the banter can be taken personally if you're the sort of person that does that. Not sure what the fan interaction is like in the US though.
    • 585 posts
    September 15, 2014 1:19 PM EDT
    We just did training and tackling drills las time. But it is the start of the season, so I guess it's worth it. I just really want to play a match.
    • 16 posts
    September 15, 2014 1:30 PM EDT

BASEketball is a movie by Matt Stone and Terry Parker.

I'm from Scotland. Football hooliganism should not be a thing, anywhere. I think the Brits have a particularly bad rep for that in other countries when traveling for games. It's a real shame. Plus, banter and being crude with friends who understand it is one thing, but acting like that regardless in public is another. It's not all the fans of course, and the people who take it to excess are ruining it for others.

Either way, I prefer rugby. Fans are just as bad, I'm sure, but it is a bit more interesting to watch than football. 

• 585 posts
    September 15, 2014 1:35 PM EDT
    Rugby fans tend to not be as bad. As it's usually a sport for the well off, there tends to be a mix of rich 40 year olds and 20-30 year olds. But as rugby is quite a friendly game, the young people tend to not cause to much trouble, unless they're drunk.
    • 16 posts
    September 15, 2014 2:06 PM EDT

Ah booze. I love it and I hate it. Brings out the best and worst in people. 

I find it slightly odd that the sport that is more likely to maim you is the well-to-do choice. I mean, I know you can receive nasty injuries in football as well, but rugby seems a lot more... dangerous, for lack of a better word, even if it is friendlier.

I remember getting taught how to play rugby in school. It's a shame most of the kids I went to school with were so vicious, otherwise I'd have totally gotten into it.

• 585 posts
    September 16, 2014 11:00 AM EDT
    Rugby is often perceived as unfriendly, but that's just because you're more likely to get injured. Most players, even if they don't know each other and are on opposite teams, get together after the match and get drunk and eat pies (pretty much as manly as you can get :p).
    On the other hand, football players, are rude and aggressive to the opposition before and after a match. And tend to either ignore or even fight (verbal and physical) with the opposition.

Yeah, in school people get so worked up about being able to hurt each other (sounds bad but it's true) that they ignore the rules and try to injure people on purpose. When people do get hurt, they just blamed it on rugby and did it again. This is stupid, because the only way to hurt yourself if you're playing the game right is if you bugger a tackle up (which does happen, we are only human after all). For example, I've only broken one bone in six years of playing, and even that is quite surprising, people go their whole rugby career and only receive minor cuts and bruises.

Sorry for the long rant, but I really want to make it clear to people (not just you) how safe and friendly rugby actually is.
    • 209 posts
    September 16, 2014 11:07 AM EDT
    I don't think rugby is perceived that way, I don't follow it and I know the players are respectful to the ref and each other and that the fans are rarely violent. Unlike football.

It's just a shame I really do not enjoy watching it.
    • 585 posts
    September 16, 2014 4:56 PM EDT
    Maybe it's perceived differently in different areas, but all my mates who don't play rugby think you just get your head kicked every week.

I don't blame you for not enjoying watching it, I find it better to play a sport than to watch it. And if you don't play rugby anyway. It can be confusing and so un enjoyable.
    • 133 posts
    September 16, 2014 5:06 PM EDT
    Virginia lacrosse. Lacrosse is my favorite sport because it combines everything I love from every other sport. Virginia is one of the "hot" lacrosse colleges and it has the winningest coach in history. UVA! UVA! Goooooooo Hoos!
    • 89 posts
    September 16, 2014 11:21 PM EDT

Baltimore Ravens American football. We crushed our division rivals from Pittsburgh at our house this past week, 26-6. We should've beaten them by a lot more though. Had some great touchdown opportunities that turned into field goals. Hopefully we get that cleaned up before playing the Browns. Regardless, our defense is finally starting to look like its old, dangerous self again.

• 209 posts
    September 17, 2014 3:27 AM EDT
    I enjoy NFL and Ravens are the team I follow (I use the term follow, lightly).
    • 209 posts
    September 17, 2014 3:32 AM EDT
    Well Manchester United were back last weekend after the international break, against Queens Park Rangers, needing a win, something we were yet to do. The lads didn't disappoint, Angel Di Maria making his first home appearance since his move from Real Madrid put in a man of the match performance, scoring one and assisting Juan Mata with another.

We had 2 players making their debuts, Marcus Rojo and Daley Blind, both looked solid, especially blind. The match ended 4-0 with goals from, Di Maria, Herrera, Rooney and Mata.
    • 75 posts
    September 20, 2014 5:33 PM EDT

Watford, Championship football (soccer if you want): We drew 1-1 with Bournemouth after a game saving goal by Cathcart, but hey, at least we're in 4th.

• 75 posts
    September 20, 2014 5:34 PM EDT

God, I remember laughing at Blind during the World Cup. Me and my friends made jokes about his last name just to tease our Dutch friend.

• 75 posts
    September 20, 2014 5:35 PM EDT

Zonn, when I played rugby I got some sort of injury most weeks. But that's probably because I always ran into the big people.

• 127 posts
    September 21, 2014 6:02 PM EDT

Well, Lewis Hamilton is rather dominating right now. (F1, guys.)  Gotta support my favourite Hertfordshire racer.

• 55 posts
    September 22, 2014 2:08 AM EDT

From what little i've seen of rugby, i've enjoyed watching it. It certainly beats watching any american sports imo because of the speed and fewer breaks. (it might just be an illusion, i don't know much about it) 

• 55 posts
    September 22, 2014 2:10 AM EDT

My team, Sarpsborg08, football, won 3-1 yesterday.

• 209 posts
    September 22, 2014 7:20 AM EDT
    Haha we had them all, 'why are we signing a Blind midfielder?'
    • 209 posts
    September 22, 2014 7:21 AM EDT
    Top of the championship shaping up great, you got it right the first time ;)
    • 209 posts
    September 22, 2014 7:22 AM EDT
    Yeah massive blow to Rosberg yesterday, massive shame as well.
    • 209 posts
    September 22, 2014 7:22 AM EDT
    Not familiar with Sarpsborg08 why not tell me abit about them ?
    • 55 posts
    September 23, 2014 3:21 AM EDT

Well not much to tell really. It's a smalltown football team in Norway, but playing in what passes for the elite division here. Hovering at the lower part of the table, but have only been there for 2 years. This is also the first year we don't play qualification matches (I hope).

The town itself is 1000 years old in 2016, and founded by St.Olav 1016. We also had one of the earliest football teams, founded by an englishman in the 1920's I think. (Thanks for asking :)