Forums » Elder Scrolls

Follower Discussion

• 93 posts
    September 13, 2014 2:02 PM EDT

I'm curious what you all think of the various followers found across Skyrim. Do you have a favorite? A least favorite? An interesting story? 

Personally, I am partial to Faendal for the early game. I usually keep him around for some time until my character realizes things are too dangerous for the small town archer, brave and loyal as he may be. I also like Erik, though I don't use him all the time. 

I plan on trying out Mjoll for the first time, soon.

What about you guys?

• 700 posts
    September 13, 2014 2:54 PM EDT

I mainly use the dogs.  I have the most fun with them and I find them more interesting than most human followers.  

• 133 posts
    September 13, 2014 5:15 PM EDT
    I'm married to mjoll. She's great! Though she's skilled I find it difficult to take her to the more dangerous places I don't want to risk my wifes life. In terms of fighting she can get in the way but I always feel safe near her. The most effective follower I thinkis the mage marcurio. I hate him though.
    • 93 posts
    September 13, 2014 8:58 PM EDT

Marcurio is neat! I've used him in the past a lot, and on one of my more RP-based mage runs (Alcarien the Altmer) Marcurio became steward and then husband. He's a cool character, if a bit grouchy.

My current run (Einarr Iron-Oak the Nord) wouldn't much care for him, and certainly not having to pay for him. But he just recruited Mjoll and I think they'll get along wonderfully and (eventually) wed so #turnup

It's always fun to try and find a follower that suits your character.

• 93 posts
    September 13, 2014 8:59 PM EDT

I can never keep the dogs with me. Once, I accidentally mistook Meeko for a Frostbite spider in a dungeon and shot him down. Ever since then, I only keep them as pets at home... But theyre so coooool, I'm just too paranoid I'll kill them now.

• 700 posts
    September 13, 2014 9:28 PM EDT

I know the feeling, I've killed my dog companions in the past.  I'll sometimes use illusion on a character just to provide buffs to my dog.

• 75 posts
    September 13, 2014 9:41 PM EDT

My favourite follower is definitely Teldryn Sero from the DB dlc. He's invincible, levels with the player forever, can wear any armour other than a new helmet (since you never get to see his face unless you kill him or make him join the blades). He's got humour too, and when I hired him, I found myself slowly growing more attached to the Dunmer as we went along. When I dismissed him for a quest and went back to get him, I found he was now a free follower, instead of a regular merc. If I could make him my steward I would, but it's not possible, so we just adventure together. As well as this, he's a spellsword, a complete badass in combat (he took out a dragon on his own while I fought another one). Literally the only way Teldryn died was when I used bind will on a dragon and he stayed aggro to it, the end result being the dragon (counting as me attacking him) killing him. However, he's literally the only follower I would ever use. I'm very lone wolf-ish when it comes to my main character, but Teldryn really connected to me for some reason.

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    September 13, 2014 9:50 PM EDT

Erik is the best tank follower I've ever had, but I find his voice, face, and dialogue annoying. For the longest time, I would actually talk to him and hold one sided conversations. I mean me, in real life, audibly talking to this character. I called him "lad" a lot, yelled at him for doing stupid things, running off, talking, etc. He's not that bad if you give him a closed helmet.

Faendal was a good pack mule at low levels, and I use him as a storage bin now with my current character. Mostly books and gold ingots.

Eh, I haven't found a new follower yet I like. They get in my way more often than not, and I use them mostly for company or loot mules.

• 93 posts
    September 13, 2014 9:51 PM EDT

I just couldn't deal with the guilt. 

I do love moving poor, lonely Meeko into my loving Hearthfire homes. This time around, I might use a DG huskie, too.

• 93 posts
    September 13, 2014 9:51 PM EDT

I haven't done much in DB dlc yet, so I'll have to check him out when I do! I feel like I've heard that he was cool before.

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    September 13, 2014 10:34 PM EDT

Eh, here or there. I like Ralis Sedarys better, but more for the situation involved with him being your follower. Not for every character, and I won't spoil anything, but my Telvanni character freakin' loved extorting him into slavery.

• 75 posts
    September 14, 2014 8:09 AM EDT

Hey, Teldryn Sero is a wonderful man.

• 585 posts
    September 14, 2014 11:06 AM EDT
    I like Durak from the DG DLC. Something about an axe weilding Orc who hunts vampires appeales to me :p
    • 93 posts
    September 14, 2014 11:43 AM EDT

I'm thinking of using him as steward after I finish DG. I definitely agree with you; he's just COOL!