Forums » Elder Scrolls

Playing Skyrim with a accent?

• 31 posts
    August 2, 2014 5:18 PM EDT

Wanted to start this little thread and see if I was the only one who did this ( if so I am weird).

When i create a character I have his/her background already set forth and I know basically everything I am going to do and down to when I will do it. However, I also tend to adapt to the race I am playing and I tend to play with an accent befitting that race. 

Such as when playing a Khajiit i tend to read all the dialogue the Dragonborn says in third person and in something like a J'zargo voice or if I am a Nord I use that heavy nordic accent used by Galmer Stone-Fist and such.

Is this common? Or am I the only one?

• 1441 posts
    August 2, 2014 5:35 PM EDT
    I oddly enough sometimes use a British accent when playing Bretons.
    • 773 posts
    August 2, 2014 5:42 PM EDT

Do you do this...ummm... out loud 

• 31 posts
    August 2, 2014 5:56 PM EDT

Thankfully no lol it's just how I read it in my mind... probably should have pointed that out but I could imagine how hard it would be even trying to sound like one of those races out loud.

• 159 posts
    August 2, 2014 8:19 PM EDT

Not going to lie.....I've tried a few of my characters lines in the accent of Sean Connery......out loud.......no regrets.

• Mr.
    • 763 posts
    August 2, 2014 9:28 PM EDT

Sometimes, yes, but not out loud. Sometimes I even make my own conversations while in game... Those are out loud, so I can keep track of them.

This also happens to me a lot in the Total War games, especially in Rome 2, where I make my own speeches, after my in-game general speech, or before, while I'm organizing my army. It feels good, but it has to be out loud. And now with patch 14, man... It feels wonderful.

Don't worry, the way I see it, these things are completely normal, and actually greatly enhance the gaming experience. A lot.

• Al
    • 23 posts
    August 3, 2014 1:46 AM EDT

I do all the time, out loud usually. I tend to talk in accents occasionally so playing skyrim is part of how I practice.

• 31 posts
    August 3, 2014 11:59 AM EDT

Well I am just glad I am not the only one, and the only reason I don't say it outloud is because my accents sound horrible compared to in my head where I can just imagine the voice of a Khajiit or such.

• 78 posts
    August 3, 2014 2:25 PM EDT

Hahaha I do the same and I do it loud. Thankfully, most of the time I am alone when doing this and I don't receive those weird looks...

I strongly believe there is a mod out there that transforms all the ingame dialogue to khajiit accent one. For example, instead asking "what have you got for sale?", you are asking "*enter player name here* is interested in your wares" or something like that. 

• AJ
    • 47 posts
    August 3, 2014 3:31 PM EDT

Did this once, while playing Mason's Hold Guard. Austrian accent...