Forums » Elder Scrolls

How did Morokei obtain the Staff of Magnus?

• July 30, 2014 6:03 AM EDT

I stumbled onto this question on another Skyrim site some time ago, but this discussion could not give me a satisfying answer. Here are some excerpts from this discussion:

"We know that the Nerevarine sold the Staff of Magnus to that museum in Mournhold, which means that he was in posession of the Staff in 3E 427."

"What I'm interested in, is how Savos Aren knew that it was in Labyrinthian. Arguably, a mage like him would've recognized the Staff of Magnus when he saw it. But that would mean that the Staff of Magnus was there when Savos and the other apprentices first entered the Labyrinthian."

"According to Savos, he was an apprentice when the Isle of Arteum disappeared 100 years before the events of Skyrim. So the Staff of Magnus would have had to appear in the Labyrinthian 100-200 years before the events of Skyrim."

"Although it seems just strange that the Staff, which leaves mages before they become too powerful and disrupt the mystical balance, would seek out Morokei, who was already a legendary mage in his own right."

Now, what are your thoughts? Can anyone prove/disprove this? Or does anyone have more extended knowledge?

• July 30, 2014 11:19 AM EDT
    Sounds like a story development flaw.
  • Tom
    • 624 posts
    July 30, 2014 1:24 PM EDT

The Staff of Magnus, one of the elder artifacts of Tamriel, was a metaphysical battery of sorts for its creator, Magnus. When used, it absorbs an enemy's health and mystical energy. In time, the Staff will abandon the mage who wields it before he becomes too powerful and upsets the mystical balance it is sworn to protect.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Tamrielic_Lore

• 1483 posts
    July 30, 2014 1:28 PM EDT

Savos didn't know what is in Labyrinthian. Here is his ghost's quote in Labyrithian "Enchanted weapons, tomes of ancient knowledge, Shalidor's secrets themselves -- who knows what we could find!". And another quote from before venturing into Labyrinthian - "Something as specific and ancient as the Staff of Magnus... I'm not sure we'd ever find something like that... I seem to recall Mirabelle mentioning the staff somewhat recently." As for the staff seeking out Morokei - perhaps it was connected to the Eye. The staff could've appeared in the possession of Morokei right before the Last Dragonborn got there and claimed it 

• July 30, 2014 2:30 PM EDT

Ah, I remembered that differently. Well, then there remains the question: Why Morokei? Morokei already was a powerful mage before obtaining the staff, which is kinda contrary to the article Tom linked earlier.

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    July 30, 2014 4:14 PM EDT

Morokei has been trapped in Labyrinthian for centuries and doesn't pose any threat to the balance of the world therein.

• July 31, 2014 5:21 AM EDT

Now that I think of it, why didn't he use the Staff of Magnus to absorb the magical barrier?

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    July 31, 2014 11:20 AM EDT

It only works on people?

• 1483 posts
    July 31, 2014 11:25 AM EDT

It works on anyone. Player used it to dispel the barrier around the college, the enthralled wizards were people.

My guess is, he can't attack while in the barrier

• Tom
    • 624 posts
    July 31, 2014 12:15 PM EDT

These things fall apart when you look to closely.

• 31 posts
    August 2, 2014 1:26 PM EDT

My guess is like any other prophecy of sort the staff was placed at that location at that moment for the Dragonborn to find it. If you recall the Psijic's told you in Saarthal that you have started a string of events that can not be changed. Therefore, I have always thought it possible that even the Psijic's could have placed the Staff of Magnus with Morokei. Why Morokei? It's not him in particular I think we are supposed to focus on rather than the place.

The Labyrinthian served as a place were greedy mages met their fate trying to find magical powers beyond their skill, showing the Dragonborn the mistake of exactly that. Morokei wielding the Staff of Magnus merely was an obstacle someone said before to let the Dragonborn prove his worth. By surviving the Labyrinthian and stopping Ancano merely proved to the Psijic's that you were mean't to lead the College rather than Savos Aren whose mistakes you witnessed first hand.