Forums » Elder Scrolls

The Perfect Playstyle: What race, skills, equipment, and rolepla

• 167 posts
    July 27, 2014 3:41 PM EDT

Over the course of Skyrim, and previous titles lifespans, people have often adopted a preferred playstyle, a combination that suits them the best. Different aesthetics apply to different people, and before you know it, everyone has their own unique style.

As for myself, I've tended to lean towards a Breton Spellsword or Battlemage that are perhaps wanderer's or scholars donning light to no armor at all.

What's your "Perfect Playstyle"? What combination has suited you best throughout Skyrim and other Elder Scrolls games? Feel free to share below, and please stay on topic, and remember, this topic is not for arguments, only for people to share their opinions below.

• 490 posts
    July 27, 2014 3:57 PM EDT
    I have been playing/building a character that I jokingly refer to as "Henson's favorite things" so I can be done with building. I do find myself much more on the mage and spell casting side of things.
    • 700 posts
    July 27, 2014 4:11 PM EDT

I usually end up playing an aggressive archer with light or no armor, who uses alchemy and conjuration.  I enjoy out-maneuvering two-handed heavy armor wearing opponents in point blank range with a bow.  

• 32 posts
    July 27, 2014 4:14 PM EDT

I tried out a warrior play-through before.. wasn't really for me. I definitely find that I have more fun being a mage, Breton. Usually the sneaky type, who uses illusion/conjuration based magic as their weapon, also robes are a must. But I suppose I use the odd heavy gauntlet here and there :)

• 365 posts
    July 27, 2014 4:35 PM EDT

Sniping some poor fool in the back with a bow/crossbow from the comfort of the shadows.

Stealthers see Fighters as fools - rushing about, not surveying the entire situation properly or completely failing to be prepared for the task ahead...

Fighters be like "Got disarmed, what now?"

Mages be like "Ran out of magicka, what now?"

Rogues are like "Chill you fools, I got this." *Disarms traps* *snipes guards* *unlocks door* *goes invis* *grabs treasure*

Fighter & Mage like... "wut?"

• 13 posts
    July 27, 2014 4:47 PM EDT

I love playing as a thief, no matter the race. Searching for the most valuable treasure while staying undetected. The thrill of stealing jewelry out of a nobleman's pocket in public. And of course, pulling off a grand heist without killing a single person and no one knew you were even there. That and it can be morally gray, you can have good intentions and bad ones, this can open up a lot of options roleplay-wise.

• 1441 posts
    July 27, 2014 5:17 PM EDT
    Hmm, a Breton spellsword/battlemage aswell, with a few thievery skills, mainly Lockpicking and speech, wearing whatever armor I can find, buy, or make. I tend to horde books because I love reading, and just displaying them in my pimpin player home, yo.
  • July 27, 2014 5:42 PM EDT
    I favor adaptable warriors, usually with light armor and several weapon skills. I also really like Skyrim's thief stuff.
    • 88 posts
    July 27, 2014 5:52 PM EDT
    Mage ran out of magika befor everything was dead? Pff
    • 856 posts
    July 27, 2014 6:19 PM EDT

I've tried them all...but prefer melee fighter all the way, either a very fast (steed stone), heavy armored two-hander, or a bit slower (due to light stealth & taking a little more care), light-armored, sword & board. Both are very mobile once engaged, though. I may grab one or two schools of magic waiting until after I'm over 20th, if I take any at all. (Have to admit, I like bound weapons - mostly because I really hate getting disarmed; rare, I know, but I still hate it.)

• July 28, 2014 7:40 PM EDT

I end up with a backstabbing,nocturnal worshipping,archer,swordsman,thief,guild master,vampire lord dragon.oh,and her name is jen.

• 13 posts
    July 28, 2014 8:21 PM EDT

I like nightblades and archers. Pretty much any class that requires brains or cunning over brute strength.

• 1483 posts
    July 28, 2014 8:40 PM EDT

Race: Altmer

Skills: Alchemy, Sneak, Alteration

Equipment: Clothing, whatever looks the best and has no clipping

Roleplay: Usually good-natured characters, Chaotic Good or Lawful Good

Playstyle: avoiding enemies, disabling them without engaging in direct combat, enhancing abilities with potions. When forced to fight never letting the enemy touch you, utilize environment, potions and magic to always have the upper hand

• 253 posts
    July 29, 2014 2:18 AM EDT

For me I feel most at home when wielding a one handed sword and running around using some sort of clothing (with mage armor), and maybe an illusion spell in my other hand. Basically my Songbird.... It was my first full playthrough and easily one of my most memorable. 

• 1 posts
    July 29, 2014 2:22 AM EDT

I played with many kinds of character, but one that suits me best is Nord with  two handed weapon (usually Ancient Nord greatsword) and mage armor for better agility. Alteration is ridiculously easy to boost in the early stage of the game and high two-handed level of the Nord is just perfect for such a build. Though, non-violent character with high Illusion skill is also lot of fun, especially if you play as an Orc and decide to do no crimes at all.

• 8 posts
    July 29, 2014 8:06 AM EDT
    Well, I am usually a Breton, as I'm welsh, and Breton was also used for when the Romans were in control of UK, or a Bosmer, I'm usually focusing on archery and conjuration, along with sneaking, as nothing is better than sending a spirit arrow (bound arrow) at a bandit and then sucking his soul out of his body, I never trust anyone, but a few followers, and I always wear a hood
    • 8 posts
    July 29, 2014 8:37 AM EDT

I find myself with a sword in one hand and a spell in the other with light armor.

And a high elf or dark elf. I got to try other races.

• 41 posts
    July 29, 2014 9:39 AM EDT

I usually play an elf. A nightblade or spellsword, sometimes even a pure mage. I always seem to hate the native race of whatever region I'm in. ( Except for dark elves. Go Morrowind!) So wielding magic makes my characters feel power over the superstitious nords.

• July 29, 2014 10:50 AM EDT

An orc bersercer who uses two handed and heavy armour. As to roleplay, I enjoy playing the roaming hero who has both good and bad qualities to give depth to him.(I always play as a male)